The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure if I should get my license please help.  (Read 6317 times)
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »

I've been a ham for 42 years and have learned a lot from both the good and the bad people. The bad ones make good examples.  As you pointed out, its pretty clear who they are and their behavior makes them easy to identify and avoid.

This is a great hobby with good people.  You might even feel a bit sorry for the miscreants, because they won't get the satisfaction out of this hobby that you will. 

Good luck on the exam!

Bob, K0BT
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »

What troubles me is the fact that ham radio call signs identify you and your location.

Your first callsign is sequentially assigned, and the number will be correct for your location.  But it doesn't identify your exact location.  It identifies a call area, which could be one state (6, which is California), six states (1, which is all of New England), or many states (4, 7, and 0). 

If you move to a different call area, you can keep your current call if you want to.  Also, if you want a vanity callsign, you can select any number you want.  There is no absolute guarantee that, for example, WA5XYZ is located anywhere in the 5th call area.

From what I have been hearing there are a lot of people with ill intent within ham radio.

While I'm sure our share of bad apples exist, my guess is the actual number is minuscule.

I think the point he's getting at is that the FCC database is public record.  ANYONE can look up a call sign and get an address from it.  This is why a lot of hams use post office boxes instead of their street addresses.  And it's going to get even better.  With the FCC now asking about felony convictions, that information is going to be part of the public record unless the individual specifically asks it to be kept confidential.

That said, I have call sign plates on my vehicle and the license plate frame says "Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator." I've never had any issues...
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »

Thank you all for the info but I think K8AC pretty much really spoke about what I have been hearing.  At least from my perspective.  No enforcement of the rules and 40m and 80m are, well you can read what he said.     
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »

PLANKEYE, a search shows you have been on eHAM since 2008 and that you say you've been licensed since 1961 (Oct. 30, 2016 Licensing post). What is your callsign?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:10:42 AM by KH6AQ » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »

Well as far as the intent of the people I have heard on the air I won't speak of it here in this forum.  I'm just wondering if this is a fun hobby.  So far not so much.   

Perhaps amateur radio is not for you. As far as your concerns about crazy people, we have them at eHAM too and you seem comfortable using this site. You can do the same on the air, and avoid the well known watering holes that the psychopaths frequent. Ham radio is like any other group and has good and bad people and everything in between. I don't believe the distribution is different than society at large, and the good far outnumber the bad.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »

Plankeye is a phony who always acts like some newbe to ask innocent sounding questions to solicit sympathetic responses. In essence he wastes everyone's time acting like some naive kid who feeds on the attention he solicits. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the air as a pirate or worse, hacking someone's call sign. I never trust the guys who come here with CB handles and don't have the courage to use their call sign...if they actually have one. How did you squeeze through the vetting process to get on here Plankeye?
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 02:45:10 AM »

Thank you all for letting me be part of the forum here. I recently became interested in Ham Radio and have been studying with hamtestonline for my tech and general license. I'm pretty much ready for the tests and I have been working on my code skills as well even though it's not required. A local ham loaned me one of his radios FT-840 and a wire antenna so I could listen while I prepared for my test.

Thank you all.

PLANKEYE,

You have been posting on these forums for ten years and one post says you were first licensed in 1961.  Why are you now posing as a newcomer?

Neil N3DF
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 02:32:02 AM »

Hmmmmm, The silence is intriguing....
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »

Yeah, I think ole "plankeye" is sitting back figuring out his next trolling topic.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »

Hmmm...OK.

Oh boy!

Kraus
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »

Well, he's not a bad sort so let's not bash him too hard.
  I hope he does indeed earn his Tech at least and then discovers the huge frequency privilege when using A1 mode.
  73 Lane  de n8aft
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 03:54:16 AM »

Well, he's not a bad sort so let's not bash him too hard.
  I hope he does indeed earn his Tech at least and then discovers the huge frequency privilege when using A1 mode.
  73 Lane  de n8aft

Let's not bash him at all.

Look forward.

Kraus
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »

I don't think anyone should be abused online.  However, I think trolls should be ignored, not encouraged.

Neil N3DF
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:34 AM »

Not sure what your definition of a "Troll" is Neil...
 I've always understood, at least by my own definition, that a "Troll" was nothing more than
 a malcontent trouble maker...
 Not sure I've witnessed that in his postings and I have read a few.
 I'll give him the benefit of the doubt just like I will with every one, including you Neil.
 VY 73
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »

Well as far as the intent of the people I have heard on the air I won't speak of it here in this forum.  I'm just wondering if this is a fun hobby.  So far not so much.   

Perhaps amateur radio is not for you.

I agree...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: