The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of the XIEGU X5105 QRP HF/50 mhz transceiver  (Read 3740 times)
IZ0JOJ

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »

Hi everybody,
I am Antonio IZ0JOJ - just landed here to present you my last review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMjukZBcgM&lc=z22rh3cw4lebwjtwy04t1aokgeahiwx2lkvyogheoevxrk0h00410
The new XIEGU X5105. Chinese but good quality HF transceiver.

ATU and LIPO batteries all included in this little & rugged radio.

Full review here http://yaesuft817.com/wp/complete-review-xiegu-x5105/

Best 73 de IZ0JOJ
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:37:13 PM by IZ0JOJ » Logged

Yaesu FT 817 / Elecraft KX3 QRP radio BLOG - Mods tips - http://www.yaesuft817.com/wp
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »

My first impression is, "it's a neat little radio." I don't see it putting Elecraft out of business. Hi Hi
Remember, the ATU is optional as well as a 500 hz CW filter. This brings up the price.

BUT.....even the little YouKits has general coverage receive within it's band limits. There are times I like to listen to commerical short wave bands.
Barry
NU6I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »

ATU and Noise blanker are included in the price. See amazon.com

73, NU6I
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

Another useless novelty radio that has insufficient power output to  be an effective communications/emergency portable radio. You can find many on Ebay  after the novelty and ineffectiveness leads to frustration. Where we are today in the sunspot cycle high output power on the lower frequencies is mandated.

Soon users will be buying the accompanying 100 watt CB  amplifier that when combined with the poor transmitter IMD from the radio and the AMP just ends  up with a dirty signal like most of these 10 watt QRP radios that  are available. The most sort after QRP radio accessory for  5 and 10 watt radios is a  100 watt amplifier. Radios like the FT857 was better concept, and  a radio like the FT857 could have easily added a 18650 battery pack  to run 50 watts of output.

They would have  produced a more viable product by building a 20 to 30 watt radio that runs on 18650 or similar batteries. These 10 watt QRP  radios are just a money making bandwagon of cheapness rather than communication effectiveness of the product.

Over the decades many so called "Emergency", "Jungle" and wilderness HF radios were sold and produced for portable emergency communications on many continents. These radios were typically battery powered and typically had power outputs of 20 to 30 which was effective enough to sustain a 2 way SSB conversation with marginal antennas on the Low bands. Even today the Army HF Manpacks maintain the same effectiveness by using powers of 20 to 30 watts of output which is ideal for DX and short skip work with marginal antennas. Powers in this 20 to 30 watt range  is the break even point of weight and battery life. Today this would be an easy accomplishment that would be not much bigger than the KX3 or this Chinese transceiver, delivering 30 watts, antenna tuner  and a full battery pack.

But hey its cheap and you can buy one and leave it laying in your draw with the 10 HT's when the novelty and frustration wears off!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: