The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6m Activation of Mt. Washington, NH  (Read 1213 times)
AB1OC

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »

The Nashua Area Radio Club has continued to have fun doing SOTA activations with our portable 6m Station. We recently activated Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. Mt. Washington is the highest peak in the northeast with an elevation of 6,288 ft.

Our station was solar-powered and used a pair of LiPo packs on an MPPT charger as a backup when the sun was obscured by clouds.

Our portable 6m station used an IC-7300 operating at 100W into a 3 element yagi on a 22' push-up mast. The setup allowed us to make over 50 SSB QSOs on 6m during our time on the mountain.

Our club had a great time with the activation! The views were tremendous and mountain topping is a great way to have fun on 6m. You can read more about our Mt. Washington Activation here -

https://www.n1fd.org/2017/09/01/sotapota-activation-on-mount-washington/

Fred, AB1OC
President, Nashua Area Radio Club
https://www.n1fd.org

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »

Hi Fred, thanks for the post. It brings back memories......
I spent many, many enjoyable hours on Mt. Pack Monodnock in NH. I even met the late Wayne Green up there. IF, I had taken his advise, I would be VERY wealthy right now.....

I used mostly one, sometimes two, 3 element Hi-Par 'Hilltopper' antennas. These were collapsible and can be deployed in about 2 minutes. Still have them....

This was back in the AM days and there was a LOT of activity. My 7 watts could work down into NJ.
Also did a lot from Mt. Wachusett. Both of these were close to home.

Thanks again!

ron
N4UE
ex-WA1LZJ

BTW, how do you like the 7300? I really enjoy mine. I wish I had one back in 1970. ha ha
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »

The Nashua Area Radio Club has continued to have fun doing SOTA activations with our portable 6m Station. We recently activated Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. Mt. Washington is the highest peak in the northeast with an elevation of 6,288 ft.

Our station was solar-powered and used a pair of LiPo packs on an MPPT charger as a backup when the sun was obscured by clouds.

Our portable 6m station used an IC-7300 operating at 100W into a 3 element yagi on a 22' push-up mast. The setup allowed us to make over 50 SSB QSOs on 6m during our time on the mountain.

Our club had a great time with the activation! The views were tremendous and mountain topping is a great way to have fun on 6m. You can read more about our Mt. Washington Activation here -

https://www.n1fd.org/2017/09/01/sotapota-activation-on-mount-washington/

Fred, AB1OC
President, Nashua Area Radio Club
https://www.n1fd.org

What were some of the furthest contacts? Like the furthest states or cities and was there any tropo enhancement? Or were the conditions flat? 

Thanks

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AB1OC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:40:00 AM »

Hi Ron,

We got similar results to your experiences - we were able to work down to NH on the day that we were on Mt. Washington. Maybe some small amount of enhancement to get that far but nothing major. We were able to work as far as Florida and AR during our previous activation where were closer to the peak of Es season.

We really like our IC-7300. It's a great all-around radio and is ideal for the many portable operations that we do. Also, a good rig on 6m (a quite band in terms of noise) since the receiver in the IC-7300 has a very low noise floor.

We are thinking about doing one more activation this year. Depending upon where it is, we will bring our 6m setup again. I hope to work you on 6m sometime.

Fred, AB1OC
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »

Mt Washington is a great place to make VHF/UHF and Microwave contacts from.
I have worked FN44IG through 10ghz from southern NJ FM29 over the years.
The Wx can be an issue when operating from there.
I wish I knew about the 6 meter operation I would have liked to try and work you.
AA2UK, Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: