The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Irma Comm Assistance  (Read 3594 times)
W5SRT

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

I've got a niece & her husband who had to shelter in place on Culebra Island (between Puerto Rico and St. Thomas) who got hammered by Irma this afternoon and evening.  Culebra gets its power from St. Thomas, and that went down late yesterday.  Of course, all communications are down.

Hoping to find a Ham who can operator portable out of there (answer to a prayer really).

If anybody has ideas on how to find that, maybe an NTS net out of Puerto Rico, I'd be eternally grateful.  My sister is beside herself with worry.

Thanks.

- Dan
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:16:36 AM »

Here's a link... http://www.qsl.net/kp4md/rcpr.htm.

As large and powerful as the hurricane was, it may be a few days before hams come back on the air. They are experienced with these types of disasters. They will probably be on battery power, and may only be on the air for a few minutes at the top of the hours. Emergency traffic will take priority over health and welfare.

Good luck, pray hard.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »

What he said. But I wouldn't expect any health and welfare traffic to go out for 3-4 days, maybe a week. I think it was Barbuda(?) where they said there were four "hurricane proof" buildings. Those literally can no longer be found.

Irma didn't hit PR as hard, but it did kill half? 2/3? of the power grid and I'd expect all radio communications to be busy with SAR, shelters, and other true priority issues. H&W won't happen until the real problems are under control.

Sometimes, all you can do is wait. And try to help with aid going into the area, even if it is "to" someone else's relatives.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »

REACT might have some information.  They were involved in assisting with the Texas hurricane, and prepping now for Irma.  www.ReactINTL.org   www.REACTteams.com
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »

You might try this link...

https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »

I've got a niece & her husband who had to shelter in place on Culebra Island (between Puerto Rico and St. Thomas) who got hammered by Irma this afternoon and evening.  Culebra gets its power from St. Thomas, and that went down late yesterday.  Of course, all communications are down.

Hoping to find a Ham who can operator portable out of there (answer to a prayer really).

If anybody has ideas on how to find that, maybe an NTS net out of Puerto Rico, I'd be eternally grateful.  My sister is beside herself with worry.

Thanks.

- Dan

I am sorry for being late with this suggestion, but try to contact NP3B Phil....I worked him on Friday evening on 20 meters per happenstance....I was his first qso after the storm.....he had regular power and a strong signal......Just an idea, if you had not found any further success.....Hope everything works out.....

V
K3NRX

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »

I have it. Show everyone ham radio comes to the rescue. Go there yourself.

Kraus

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: