The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT8 Problems  (Read 5868 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:57:13 AM »

(Credit goes to K4GOK on the WSJT mailing list):

FT8 Problems

No. The computer, the rig and the software are working great. That’s not the problem.

The problem is that 15 second decode thing. It never stops. And it is not long enough to get anything done before it might find another great station I really need to work. I mean my lawn is now about knee deep. Can’t mow grass in 15 seconds. And my beard is several days old. Can’t shave in 15 seconds. I won’t mention the shower part. I can’t quite see the monitor from my shack bathroom L FT8 is ruining everything around here. It even causes problems with the XYL. She called me down stairs for breakfast, and I said “in another 15 seconds, honey”. That was Tuesday morning about 8:30. Now here it is about 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, and the hunger pains are getting bad. Is it normal for hams to get this hungry? At least she has stopped calling for me. That’s probably not a really good sign.

I figure the band will eventually close and I’ll have time for a shower and shave. The lawn can wait. But is may never be safe to go downstairs again. I mean I could go if I really wanted to. But don’t think I’ll risk it. Not even for 15 seconds !!

FT8 is a real problem around here.
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »

FT8 Problems

No. The computer, the rig and the software are working great. That’s not the problem.

The problem is that 15 second decode thing. It never stops. And it is not long enough to get anything done before it might find another great station I really need to work. I mean my lawn is now about knee deep. Can’t mow grass in 15 seconds. And my beard is several days old. Can’t shave in 15 seconds. I won’t mention the shower part. I can’t quite see the monitor from my shack bathroom L FT8 is ruining everything around here. It even causes problems with the XYL. She called me down stairs for breakfast, and I said “in another 15 seconds, honey”. That was Tuesday morning about 8:30. Now here it is about 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, and the hunger pains are getting bad. Is it normal for hams to get this hungry? At least she has stopped calling for me. That’s probably not a really good sign.

I figure the band will eventually close and I’ll have time for a shower and shave. The lawn can wait. But is may never be safe to go downstairs again. I mean I could go if I really wanted to. But don’t think I’ll risk it. Not even for 15 seconds !!

Believe me, I do understand!

Obie N5VYS
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »

Yeah I know.  With JT65 you could go to the kitchen and fix yourself something after you started a call, you had almost 2 minutes, before you had to do anything.  You had your 48 second call, the "dead period", the guys next 48 seconds to reply, and if you got back in the dead period again, you had time to move on to the next sequence etc.  BUT NO, not with this FT8 thing, you have to stay on top of things., and why your JT alert is saying "new state" for a half a dozen decodes, you have to decide which of those new states is the one you really need.

But soon the reality of not finding Delaware, North Dakota, and Hawaii on 80 meters starts to sink in.  Grin
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:31:34 AM »

That's why you have auto seq and call 1st!

I just set a CQ going, go do something, come back to see a completed QSO. Then enable CQ again, and come back to a freshly made QSO. Rinse, repeat.

N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »

And a program that does Auto-logging, can it get any better than that?

Obie N5VYS
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »

Sounds like you are in deep s$$t.  Are you sure you are not preparing to audition for that GEICO commercial where they use cavemen? You might want to make sure the XYL is still in the house.  Ham radio is not exactly a "babe magnet."  She may have left you for somebody with a real sexy job like a used car salesman!  Cheesy

Chris  NU1O

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »

FT8 Problems

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh my god I had a good laugh... funniest thing I've read in a while  Grin Grin

It's so true though.. JT-65 you had some time in between to do stuff. Change the laundry. Go to the bathroom. Get a beverage. Take the trash out..

VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

i',m loving the auto logging with ft8 b4 that it was a nightmare. and yeah i miss going out for a smoke in between overs coming back with some poor soul repeating his report (in jt65) Cheesy

The pile ups as said in a previous post when 10m opened up and i was getting into the west coast  +6 +8 it was torrid.
then seeing 9n1aa on the water fall on 20m @ 1 am and you know you have get up early it was so hard to walk away. i think he (Joe k1jt) has done a great thing for ham radio or else we would have lots alot of op's with prop going down moving away from the hobby . also the possiblities for 6m /2m  weak contacts it really good.
but as a i say its only a tool in the big i still love the ssb and cw.
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »

Is it me or are there no hams operating from Maine and Rhode Island. Other than Hawaii (which I believe I heard/saw once and I have been spotted there) the two prior states mentioned are the only ones standing between me and a FT8 WAS. You'd think they would be an easy shot from NY but it's not easy if no one is on the air from those two states.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

Is it me or are there no hams operating from Maine and Rhode Island. Other than Hawaii (which I believe I heard/saw once and I have been spotted there) the two prior states mentioned are the only ones standing between me and a FT8 WAS. You'd think they would be an easy shot from NY but it's not easy if no one is on the air from those two states.

You have to catch WA2HIP from maine.  He is the most active.  or W1OWL
 N8LI can do for RI.  or KA1ERL  Don't worry you will get the FT8 pretty quick.  And the funny part is when you work RI and ME, you will start seeing ME and RI everywhere.  Get on 80 about 6 pm your time and they will be there.

My big hurdle for 5 band WAS is Hawaii on 80 meters.  Alaska was fairly easy on 80, but I have tried now for two months to get Hawail on 80.  I would be done with 80 if I could just get Hawaii.  I have gotten up in the middle of the night  many times and no one in Hawaii works 80 meters.  Smiley   They all hang on 20 then move to 40 or 30 meters.. they don't like 80.  and many of them don't even have antennas for 80.
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »

That's very interesting because running 100 watts from NY state I have Hawaii on 80-40-20-17-12 & 10 meters. Of course that's running CW. In FT8 I have yet to confirm Hawaii. Thanks for the advise. I try to find them this evening and of course you are correct about their rarity. The first one is the hardest.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 07:57:46 AM »

That's very interesting because running 100 watts from NY state I have Hawaii on 80-40-20-17-12 & 10 meters. Of course that's running CW. In FT8 I have yet to confirm Hawaii. Thanks for the advise. I try to find them this evening and of course you are correct about their rarity. The first one is the hardest.

I think Alaska on 80M is much harder than Hawaii on 80M.

I have a handful of 80M Hawaii QSO's in March and September but they are so much more plentiful in November-February. ESPECIALLY the big DX contests.

For both Alaska and Hawaii it helps a lot to be wintertime - and notice that FT8 has never existed before in wintertime, it's only existed a few months!
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »

I worked WH6AV on 80M FT8 and got a prompt LoTW QSL.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

I think Alaska on 80M is much harder than Hawaii on 80M.

I agree.  I still need Alaska on 80 meters to finish 5 Band WAS.  I thought I'd be able to work Alaska on 80 during last winter's DX season for that band but I struckout.  Hopefully, I'll work and confirm AK on 80 this DX season.

Chris  NU1O
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

Vermont seems to be my blind spot.  Need it on 17 and 20.  Just not on lately.

Maine and Rhode island should be available on 20 and 17 with some regularlity if you want FT8 WAS.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: