The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAE, SSB  (Read 1841 times)
KM4SII

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »

Well conditions are cruddy tonight. There are some nice signals out of Europe on 40, but not many. The band seems REALLY long. Many of the UA, A6, 9K etc. stations are louder than the EUs! Things are still out of whack after the solar flares. I am operating at W4NC and we shut things down around 10 PM. It looks like we missed the 80m opening though  Sad

So far, not many QSOs and a lot of soliciting QTCs... very slow tonight! Hope things improve tomorrow!

73 de KM4SII - Mason
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

The band seems REALLY long. Many of the UA, A6, 9K etc. stations are louder than the EUs! Things are still out of whack after the solar flares.

73 de KM4SII - Mason

Running a WSPR beacon has given me an enhanced view of propagation conditions. It's fascinating how things change from one hour to the next, or from one day to the next.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »

Spun through 20m a couple of times over the weekend. Heard next to nothing. I was hard pressed to know there was a contest. Decided to do something else and not waste my time.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »

Ha, yeah it was tough here at the W4NC club station. Op time amounted to about 12 hours and resulted in 250 QSOs and 241 QTC. It could have been a lot better.

40m was CRUD the first two nights. The noise was high and activity was low. Nothing was worked on 80/15/10m, but no surprise there really. 20m was the only decent band. 213 of our 250 QSOs were made on 20m, and it was very easy to run a frequency there.

Op times were:
8 PM - 10 PM EST, Friday
2:30 PM - 10 PM EST, Saturday
4:30 PM - 8 PM EST, Sunday

I was going to give up after the radio-blackout on Sunday, but things recovered quite nicely in the last hours.

One of my favorite moments of the contest was the last five minutes of the contest on 40m: The band was actually very good with a super low noise level with QSOs being easily made for once  Smiley Up until this point I had maybe 25 QSOs on 40m, so most guys had yet to work me there. With 5 minutes left, I got spotted and Europe dog-pilled me. The adrenaline really got pumping there and I started handing out QSOs at a furious rate. I logged the last guy with (no exaggeration at all) two seconds left. That was a fun few minutes with pretty much all callers being new mults  Smiley 

Fun times despite awful condx and only 12 hours of op time. Most of the QSOs I made were by running (that's a change from almost 100% S&P at home haha).

73 de KM4SII - Mason
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: