The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6M FT8 and contest this weekend  (Read 2115 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »

I keep seeing FT8 stations on 6M sending things like OF11, OF10, and OE29 in lieu of their grid square. What is this?

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:11:43 AM »

I'm passing along the answer I received on the wsjt-x user group. The station is in contest mode (settings, advanced). When replying to a station who answered his CQ, in lieu of a signal report he sends an encoded version of his grid square (OF11 for example). If the receiving station is also in contest mode he will decode the grid square (FM18 for example) and in lieu of replying with a signal report will reply with R plus the decoded grid square (R FM18 for example).

The problem comes when the CQing station is in contest mode and the answering station is not. The CQing station responds with the encoded grid square. The answering station replies with a signal report. The CQing station is looking for his decoded grid square so he resends the encoded grid square. The answering station again replies with a signal report. Around and around it goes until somebody halts his transmitter.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K4QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

You can toggle contest mode on or off even while the QSO is in flight. It will stop the merry-go-round and work as intended.

Hit F2 to quickly get to the Settings dialog box and click on the "Advanced" tab.  Then, check/uncheck the contest mode box.  Finally, click OK.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »

I keep seeing FT8 stations on 6M sending things like OF11, OF10, and OE29 in lieu of their grid square. What is this?

The latest WSJTX developers release r8101 now has NA Contest Mode on the main window/ GUI. Once this hits a newer public release it should help minimize this issue.
73, Bill
AA2UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: