The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC7000 AFSK use which mode?  (Read 1727 times)
GOUDURIX

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:28 AM »

Hi, I would like to use my IC7000 for a number of digital modes /MM on a sailing yacht. Marine weather fax is RTTYlike. Navtex is RTTY like. Winlink is AFSK. Marine metro is RTTY like. For all of those I have working software decoders. All of those use USB. For Winlink (email over HF and requesting and downloading) I do not use a pastor modem but the Winmor software decoding which works well but is slower. I use the signaling interface.

The Yaesu FT897 has a dedicated Digital mode in which a number of dedicated parameters can be set like digi gain (like mic win) so you do to have to reset power and gain every time one switches from voice SSD to digi.

How to do on the IC7000? I can of course use SSB mode, also use the IF-DSP filtering etc. Can I use the RTTY mode it has connecting to the Signalink and PC via the Data connector? RTTY is also USB injection I thought? What will happen on TX? Since the full FSK use in the IC7000 does not explain any drive gain setting, I hguess it is fixed for FSK-RTTY.
 For Winmore, PSK31 etc it is advised to only use about 30W peak and set th ALC for minimal ALC.

Tnx for any advice or remarks.

Jan
ON3ZTT

GOUDURIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »

No replies so far.

I tried out to do PSB31 on the IC7000 in RTTY mode. RX is possible and can use the 3 fixed IF-filters.
TX is impossible. No output. So it is of course programmed to only transmit with FSK input. Too bad.

When set on USB, and the Signalink connected via the data input (6 pin miniDin) it works but impossible to set any input gain. It works with a set mic gain input. The only way to tune this to limited ALC marking on the ALC meter is with the TX pot on the Signalink. Which is to bad because I have to set this one to quite minimal seeing and difficult to tune finely.

I guess the only way to work is using VFO B and setting specific IF-filter for PSK31 and Winlink-Winmor there per frequency band.

A bit disappointing that a more recent rig as the IC7000 is less equipped for AFSK digimodes than is the older Yaesu FT897D. but the IC7000 can do FSK-RTTY and the T897 to). ut I'm to doing RTTY..

Jan ON3ZTT
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Maybe I can make a helpful reply.  I have an icom 7200 and have used RTTY FSK with it. I have downloaded the manual for the 7000 and it has similar configuration.

The RTTY mode on the radio is absolutely intended for FSK keying by a hardware TNC or software TNC and RTTY software. It will not help with any other digital mode.  The output power will be whatever the radio RF output is currently set.  When I use RTTY FSK, I have to change power manually to prevent overloading when running RTTY.

You can use RTTY AFSK in SSB mode on the radio, but you do have the issues around audio level setting, Maybe you can adjust level setting for input and output on your PC software or even the PC audio controls instead of the Signalink (leave it at mid-range for example).   Always adjust for minimum ALC to get clear digital SSB signal out. 

The nice thing about the 7200 is the internal sound card, but the 7000 has all the other "right things" needed to do all digital modes.

good luck and 73

Jeff KG5AHC.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

For use with the SignaLink-USB you should set the radio to USB (or USBD) mode. The power output control on the radio should be set to maximum. The SignaLink TX control should be adjusted to keep the power output below any ALC reading. On many digital modes any ALC activity will distort the transmit signal.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
GOUDURIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:59:58 AM »

Oops AA4PB

USBD mode? Don't have that on the iC7000.

Setting to max power for AFSK - digimode operation is tricky no? First of all I have to change input levels between Winmor using RMS Express and MultiPSK for the other modes I need. I thought it was always advised to use only about 30W for digimodes to avoid overloading the output stage. And indeed minimal/no ALC reading.
Setting input via the PC or the Signalink is possible but needs realignment moving from one mode to another.

Using MultiPSK for PSK31 I can set about 30W on the iC7000, align for no ALC and have 30W out.
For Winmor using RMS express I have to set power to 45-50W to get 30W out with no ALC.
I'll change the soundcard out setting to have more "headroom" for the Signalink TXout control.

Not very handy. But OK it is "my HAM duty" to always check power/Mic Gain and ALC before TXing..... Smiley

Jan
ON3ZTT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: