The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8-pin mini DIN "Y" cable?  (Read 4365 times)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »

I have a W4RT "One Touch Tune" button installed on my Yaesu FT-817ND, and the interface cable to connect my Elecraft T1 to allow for "memory tuning". Problem is, those two accessories are completely occupying the data port on the back of the radio, which means I can't do digital modes via CAT cable. The instructions for the Elecraft control cable mention a Y cable with 8-pin mini DIN connectors, but all I can find so far are 6-pin ones (for PS-2 type mice and keyboards, etc.). Can anyone tell me if there are any 8-pin mini-DIN Y cables, and if so, who sells them?
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »

A quick search didn't reveal anything for me either. But you could sort of make one, with a small project box in the middle, and run the three ends of the 3 cables into the box and strip and solder and splice and heat-shrink.  All of the sinful unsanitary stuff would be hidden in an attractive box. Just a thought.  Or keep looking or call Elecraft and ask them about the reference in their manual
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

A straight Y-cable could work, maybe, but I'd look really closely at which pins are doing what and include a diode on each line to prevent back-feeding any pin that is source (most source pins have incredibly low sinking capacity and can be easily blown).
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »

Elecraft sent me a diagram so once I have some connectors I can  make one.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

Elecraft sent me a diagram so once I have some connectors I can  make one.

cool
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »

Check with On The Air Custom Cable (http://www.w4ain.com/).  Phil does great work quickly and at a fair prices.
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »

Check with On The Air Custom Cable (http://www.w4ain.com/).  Phil does great work quickly and at a fair prices.
Thanks! I'll check it out...
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »

Another possible source to check: W7YENs-AMATEUR-RADIO-HELPERS
As someone cautioned earlier, be careful that the Y-cable does not cause or allow undesired interactions between connected devices.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:55:36 AM by KC1BMD » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: