The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icom 7610 pre-launch thread  (Read 26820 times)
N6YFM

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »

OK, so the previous "trouble" thread, formed during the long-silent-period,
is no longer appropriate.   Now that the user manual is up on the Icom Japan site,
indications are that Icom is past the development phase, has locked the feature set,
and has gone to MFG and testing.

So a new topic title is more appropriate up to the launch date.

[CONTINUE ICOM-7610 DISCUSSIONS BELOW HERE]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:16:12 PM by N6YFM » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »

FLQ, go ahead, post at least one animated gif
here for "This user is currently ignored".

:-)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

I received my October QST this afternoon and Icom has a full page ad for the IC-7610.  Looks like it is headed for the US between now and the first of next year.  A lot depends on how quickly the FCC grants certification.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »

Alright, sounds like we're making progress.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

OK, so the previous "trouble" thread, formed during the long-silent-period,
is no longer appropriate.   Now that the user manual is up on the Icom Japan site,
indications are that Icom is past the development phase, has locked the feature set,
and has gone to MFG and testing.

So a new topic title is more appropriate up to the launch date.

[CONTINUE ICOM-7610 DISCUSSIONS BELOW HERE]

GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »

FLQ, go ahead, post at least one animated gif
here for "This user is currently ignored".

:-)

Done  Grin........
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

I am hoping someone nearby will buy one so I can get my grubby mitts on it.  I will never be able to afford one.  My best friend was thinking about buying one, and I talked him into buying a 7300, and he is so happy with it, he will never buy the 7610 now. 
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »

Alright, sounds like we're making progress.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »

I am hoping someone nearby will buy one so I can get my grubby mitts on it.  I will never be able to afford one.  My best friend was thinking about buying one, and I talked him into buying a 7300, and he is so happy with it, he will never buy the 7610 now. 

I will be getting one but will wait a couple of months to make certain there are no roll out issues.  I suspect it will be fine since it borrows heavily from the 7300.  I still don't know if it will do some of the things my 7600 does.  If not then I will keep the 7600 as a backup rig.  So hop in the car and come on out to DC from MO, it's a nice drive in the spring. Grin
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

The 7600 is a nice rig....just curious, what does it do that you do not think the 7610 will?
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »

The 7600 is a nice rig....just curious, what does it do that you do not think the 7610 will?

Nothing. The 7610 is an updated version of the 7600, with SDR technology, and a host of new features, most notably a complete second receiver, suitable for SO2V contesting. I've owned a 7600 for six years, always enjoyed using it with no problems. I also own a 7300 for the past year, and that has now become my go-to radio. No current plans to purchase a 7610, but will leave options open in the future. The 7600 will soon be out of stock at the vendors, and is currently about $1,000 less than the proposed price of the 7610.

73, Bob K7JQ
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »

I am hoping someone nearby will buy one so I can get my grubby mitts on it.  I will never be able to afford one.  My best friend was thinking about buying one, and I talked him into buying a 7300, and he is so happy with it, he will never buy the 7610 now.  

I will be getting one but will wait a couple of months to make certain there are no roll out issues.  I suspect it will be fine since it borrows heavily from the 7300.  I still don't know if it will do some of the things my 7600 does.  If not then I will keep the 7600 as a backup rig.  So hop in the car and come on out to DC from MO, it's a nice drive in the spring. Grin

I appreciate your kind offer.  But might I make a counteroffer?... Perhaps you have heard of Branson, Mo, where 10's of thousands of outside visitors come every year?  Perhaps you might be journeying forth to this region, and perhaps you could be persuaded to bring your shiney new 7610 with you? I have a nice Astron 35 amp supply and some nice antennas, and we could play radio for an hour or two?  Smiley  73   James K0UA

OH, and If we tire of playing radio, I have a gravel pile and a large selection of firearms, if you would like to use up some of my excess ammunition, I would be happy to allow you to do so.  Or if you would like to play in the gravel pile with my loader tractor, that could be arranged too.   Anything to get my mitts on that radio. !
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:11:44 AM by K0UA » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »

I am hoping someone nearby will buy one so I can get my grubby mitts on it.  I will never be able to afford one.  My best friend was thinking about buying one, and I talked him into buying a 7300, and he is so happy with it, he will never buy the 7610 now.  

I will be getting one but will wait a couple of months to make certain there are no roll out issues.  I suspect it will be fine since it borrows heavily from the 7300.  I still don't know if it will do some of the things my 7600 does.  If not then I will keep the 7600 as a backup rig.  So hop in the car and come on out to DC from MO, it's a nice drive in the spring. Grin

I appreciate your kind offer.  But might I make a counteroffer?... Perhaps you have heard of Branson, Mo, where 10's of thousands of outside visitors come every year?  Perhaps you might be journeying forth to this region, and perhaps you could be persuaded to bring your shiney new 7610 with you? I have a nice Astron 35 amp supply and some nice antennas, and we could play radio for an hour or two?  Smiley  73   James K0UA

OH, and If we tire of playing radio, I have a gravel pile and a large selection of firearms, if you would like to use up some of my excess ammunition, I would be happy to allow you to do so.  Or if you would like to play in the gravel pile with my loader tractor, that could be arranged too.   Anything to get my mitts on that radio. !

Grin That is a tempting offer and I would even be willing to bring my own guns and ammo.  I still don't know if I want to sell the 7600 or keep it but I am definitely getting a 7610.  I have not seen a complete list of spec yet so I don't know if it does PSK, I am sure it will decode RTTY since the 7300 does that.  I enjoy PSK from time to time and it is a breeze on the 7600.  I know the 7610 will operate CW so no issue there but I wonder if they changed the full break in from a relay to a diode switching system.  I don't have anything against using a relay as long as it is quiet.  Oh yeah, I mostly shoot rimfire and 9mm because they are cheap. Cheesy

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 10:38:54 AM »

I am the same way, about the ammo.  I guess all Hams are really cheap! Smiley

I have a bunch of old .44magnum reloads if you want to run some of that thru my Ruger Redhawk? 

I suspect it won't be diode pin switching.  Have you seen the youtube vids about making the relays quieter in the 7300.  I haven't tried it yet, but looks pretty simple.  Just a wad of plastitac over the relay.

If you have a 7300, as a good backup rig, you may want to sell the 7600. 
I bought the 7300 as a backup rig to my 756pro3, and now guess what?  The 7300 is primary, and the 756pro3 is the backup rig.  There is too much goodness in the 7300 not to use it every day.  I love that thing.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:58 AM »

Grin That is a tempting offer and I would even be willing to bring my own guns and ammo.......

Oh geez, it's Rambo  Grin..........

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:20:27 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: