The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icom 7610 pre-launch thread  (Read 25978 times)
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

{SNIP}...

If you have a 7300, as a good backup rig, you may want to sell the 7600. 
I bought the 7300 as a backup rig to my 756pro3, and now guess what?  The 7300 is primary, and the 756pro3 is the backup rig.  There is too much goodness in the 7300 not to use it every day.  I love that thing.

There are many heretofore "legacy" rig owners who have discovered, as you have, that the 7300 outperforms many of them as well as giving the 7600 a good run for its money.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to keep my 7300 once I receive my "pre-ordered" 7610.  Since the user manual has become available (albeit in Japanese) I'm starting to take a closer look & have discovered a couple things that I wish they hadn't changed.  For one, the "Notch" button is gone and now available only through a drill-down menu.  Also the nifty "SWR Graphing" feature from the 7300 is not in the 7610.  I also didn't realize until now that the tracking preselector cannot be used in conjunction with the receive preamp.

The SWR graphing feature is strictly a software feature, so in theory at least they could bring it back. I didn't really use it that frequently, but I did use it and found it more convenient than dragging out my analyzer.  I really don't know if I'll mis the notch button.  Once again I used it & will likely cuss if I want to use it again and have to go through a dang menu to get to it, but I'll probably survive.  The main feature I wanted was the larger display and the ability to connect an external monitor. All the rest (to me) is just window dressing, IMO.

73 - Bill
W1BG

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »

{SNIP}...

If you have a 7300, as a good backup rig, you may want to sell the 7600. 
I bought the 7300 as a backup rig to my 756pro3, and now guess what?  The 7300 is primary, and the 756pro3 is the backup rig.  There is too much goodness in the 7300 not to use it every day.  I love that thing.

There are many heretofore "legacy" rig owners who have discovered, as you have, that the 7300 outperforms many of them as well as giving the 7600 a good run for its money.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to keep my 7300 once I receive my "pre-ordered" 7610.  Since the user manual has become available (albeit in Japanese) I'm starting to take a closer look & have discovered a couple things that I wish they hadn't changed.  For one, the "Notch" button is gone and now available only through a drill-down menu.  Also the nifty "SWR Graphing" feature from the 7300 is not in the 7610.  I also didn't realize until now that the tracking preselector cannot be used in conjunction with the receive preamp.

The SWR graphing feature is strictly a software feature, so in theory at least they could bring it back. I didn't really use it that frequently, but I did use it and found it more convenient than dragging out my analyzer.  I really don't know if I'll mis the notch button.  Once again I used it & will likely cuss if I want to use it again and have to go through a dang menu to get to it, but I'll probably survive.  The main feature I wanted was the larger display and the ability to connect an external monitor. All the rest (to me) is just window dressing, IMO.

73 - Bill
W1BG

I didn't know that the 7610 will not do SWR graphing Bill although, it's not a deal breaker for me.  I typically use my antenna analyzer anyway and only when I build a new antenna or I'm trouble shooting an existing one.  Once I know where the two to one band limits are I don't need a graph, I can write them on a piece of paper if I need to.  Right now I'm using an extended double zep with ladder line and a tuner as an all bander so SWR is always good.  I do agree that external monitor is very desirable feature.
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »

No, the SWR Graphing feature is not a deal-breaker for me either, though I will miss it and really cannot understand why they took it out since the "emergency" tuner override function was kept. By their own statement there is plenty of expansion space left.

73 - Bill
 W1BG

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

IC7610 on Icom Japanese website with suggested price of 368K yen -about $3300.

http://www.icom.co.jp/products/amateur/products/basestation/ic-7610/
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »

i have a 7600 and a 7300.  Although the 7300 beats the 7600 as a receiver, I really enjoy the 7600 as well.  For one, I like the audio fidelity of the 7600 over the 7300 for rag chew purposes.  If the 7610 has the same audio fidelity that the 7600 has, I will seriously look into getting one, just because I can.

On the other hand, if I could only afford a 7300, I would be perfectly satisfied for a long, long time to come.  This "entry level" radio is simply amazing to me!

Heck, as has been said before, two of them side by side may be a better deal than a 7610 save for a few bells and whistles unimportant to me.

I too would like to see and hear the 7610 in person.  It certainly is a nice looking radio!
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »

The 7600 is a nice rig....just curious, what does it do that you do not think the 7610 will?

Nothing. The 7610 is an updated version of the 7600, with SDR technology, and a host of new features, most notably a complete second receiver, suitable for SO2V contesting. I've owned a 7600 for six years, always enjoyed using it with no problems. I also own a 7300 for the past year, and that has now become my go-to radio. No current plans to purchase a 7610, but will leave options open in the future. The 7600 will soon be out of stock at the vendors, and is currently about $1,000 less than the proposed price of the 7610.

73, Bob K7JQ

I know...the current price on a new 7600, at $2,500, is attractive
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »

i have a 7600 and a 7300.  Although the 7300 beats the 7600 as a receiver, I really enjoy the 7600 as well.  For one, I like the audio fidelity of the 7600 over the 7300 for rag chew purposes.  If the 7610 has the same audio fidelity that the 7600 has, I will seriously look into getting one, just because I can.

On the other hand, if I could only afford a 7300, I would be perfectly satisfied for a long, long time to come.  This "entry level" radio is simply amazing to me!

Heck, as has been said before, two of them side by side may be a better deal than a 7610 save for a few bells and whistles unimportant to me.

I too would like to see and hear the 7610 in person.  It certainly is a nice looking radio!

Yeah, the epitome of a radio......

Roll Eyes..........

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:50:02 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

i have a 7600 and a 7300.  Although the 7300 beats the 7600 as a receiver, I really enjoy the 7600 as well.  For one, I like the audio fidelity of the 7600 over the 7300 for rag chew purposes.  If the 7610 has the same audio fidelity that the 7600 has, I will seriously look into getting one, just because I can.

On the other hand, if I could only afford a 7300, I would be perfectly satisfied for a long, long time to come.  This "entry level" radio is simply amazing to me!

I too would like to see and hear the 7610 in person.  It certainly is a nice looking radio!

Yeah, the epitome of a radio......

Roll Eyes..........

FLQ:
You seem to be an intelligent person, but don't you realize by now that your "funny stuff" has grown quite stale with the readers of this and other forum topics, and has long gotten to the point of just relentlessly mocking people that have a real interest in these discussions? You are now in the realm of being nasty and obnoxious. We all accept your opinion of "kaleidoscope" radios, but must you keep regurgitating this with the same post after post, only to prolong embrrassing yourself to the ham radio community? C'mon man, aren't you better than that? Can't you just try to contribute something meaningful, instead of once-funny pictures and comments?

I'm trying to apply logic and diplomacy here...everyone else's comments seem to have failed to make you stop and think about what you're doing. I don't know...maybe you just derive pleasure out of being an impish pest, and don't care what people think of you. If so, I'm sure you'll reply to me with some smart-aleck comments. Then I'll just feel sorry for you.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »

Just put him on ignore, its pointless to have anything to do with some people.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »

FLQ:
You seem to be an intelligent person, but don't you realize by now that your "funny stuff" has grown quite stale with the readers of this and other forum topics, and has long gotten to the point of just relentlessly mocking people that have a real interest in these discussions? You are now in the realm of being nasty and obnoxious. We all accept your opinion of "kaleidoscope" radios, but must you keep regurgitating this with the same post after post, only to prolong embrrassing yourself to the ham radio community? C'mon man, aren't you better than that? Can't you just try to contribute something meaningful, instead of once-funny pictures and comments?

I'm trying to apply logic and diplomacy here...everyone else's comments seem to have failed to make you stop and think about what you're doing. I don't know...maybe you just derive pleasure out of being an impish pest, and don't care what people think of you. If so, I'm sure you'll reply to me with some smart-aleck comments. Then I'll just feel sorry for you.

I'm trying to apply logic and diplomacy here...

.......except FLQ "you seem to be an intelligent person" but just could you shut up you "nasty" "obnoxious" "embarrassing" "smart-aleck" "impish pest"............

Mmmm alrighty, it's certainly an interesting angle on logic & diplomacy.........
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:38:15 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »

Just put him on ignore, its pointless to have anything to do with some people.

Yes indeed, it works wonders. With ignore the SDR forum is worthwhile again. You will see a lot of "This user currently ignored" messages on most threads in the SDR forum and frequently in the Station Building and VHF/UHF forums. Pretty much anywhere there is a discussion about SDR or new radios, the repetitive one appears.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »

Attempting to reason with some people just feeds into their mental illness and provides interaction for them. Causing chaos and conflict, and attracting attention is what they crave.  It is best to just use the button, and go on.   I have.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »

FLQ:

.......except FLQ "you seem to be an intelligent person" but just could you shut up you "nasty" "obnoxious" "embarrassing" "smart-aleck" "impish pest"............

Well, he inferred "shut up", while I suggested posting something meaningful. No hope...I do feel sorry for him. I tried...time for the "ignore" button.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »

I don't need no stinkin' machine to censor my internet experience!    I just scroll manually through to whatever I want to read... my computer has one of those cool mouse thingies with a scroll wheel and it works just great...

Anyhoo, the IC-7600/7700/7850 all have transverter jacks on the rear panel and it looks the 7610 will too.  Has anybody used a transverter with one of these radios?  Any experiences and comments on what works well?

73, Ed VE3WGO
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »

FLQ:

Well, he inferred "shut up", while I suggested posting something meaningful. No hope...I do feel sorry for him. I tried...time for the "ignore" button.

No, actually what he really means by that is - unless you can post something more amenable to me & my cohorts, just shut up with your current line.

Now, you get on that ignore button right way......oh geez, it's that time again   Grin........

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:53:10 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: