The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signal Reporting  (Read 2438 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:08:45 AM »

Being new, I am still learning and my equipment is still lacking a few pieces.  Example, I do not have a working external SWR and Watt meter anymore.  The one on my MFJ-969 Tuner quit.  The meter is working on my rig and I have another tuner attached.

I had my first HF SSB contact the other day. The other side was coming in a little broken by static but understandable in the rig speaker (I am sure an external speaker and headphones would be even better).  He told me I was 599 but I told him he was a little weak at S7 and broken by static.  What should I have told him? 488?

So, to my question....what is good way to provide signal report back to the other party? By this, I mean how do I determine what a 599 signal is? 

1) When using SSB?
2) When using digital mode like PSK31?

I look forward to the replies.  This stuff should be on the exam.

Ed, KD9FRQ "Freq" Radio
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:34 AM »

http://www.radioing.com/hamstart/rst.html

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »

On ssb you do not normally give the "T" (tone) report unless there is an aurora distorting his audio.
Then you would give (assuming a strong signal) 59A or 59 Alpha.
However, in an HF contest, they get pretty well hacked off if you do not give a 59.

Data modes is normally RST

I think in your case 58 with Static or the 48 and tell him you have static interference

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:51:55 AM »

Welcome to the world of HF   I have been here for just over three years myself..  here are my thoughts:

It is relative to what you hear on your end, and nobody should be offended by getting anything other than 59 or 599...  

if you were able to understand words (even with static) with no repeats and no confusion, then I would give him a 5

I try to give fair assessment of signal strength, so nothing wrong with giving your best assessment.  Your perceived signal strength depends a lot on the setup conditions of your station.  if you are hearing both loud and not-so-loud stations, then you can give opinion relative to others you hear.

As far as Tone is considered, (applies only to CW, RTTY and digital modes) its usually a 9 since. I personally cannot detect or measure ripple modulation in digital modes. I assume ripple modulation is an indicator of the transmitter's ability to hold constant accurate tone (in Hz).

I have heard some contest exchanges where the operator has to send his call sign three or four times and the reply is "599".  in such case the 599 is really just being used to end a contact and move on to the next operator.

Contesters want short signal reports because they are itching to get to the next contact behind you.   Friendly QSO and rag-chew situations you can be more colorful in your descriptions of signal quality and noise levels etc.

hope you find this helpful, look forward to seeing you on the bands someday.

Jeff KG5AHC
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »

Does the S-meter work on your radio? In most cases if both stations in the QSO are running the same power the signal voltage at each end of the path will be the same. If you and the other station are both running 100 watts and he's S-7 at your end he will usually be S-7 at your end. But, not all radios have S-meters that follow the standard.

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »

"

I got the kh7, but I need the rest.

b5995-0bb#*200*$NB*3.

OK I got kh7b, I need the rest.
         4    2        b     3

try again please.
4mmd     ,,,  dl

got it   kh7bdl, qsl??
q L
                                                           OK ok got it   your are 559      73 OM

"

See you in the next corntest,
KLC
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »

Thank you, AA4PB.  This is a very good XRef.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »

Thank you for all the replies.  I can take away good information from each.

KB2WIG : That is what I have seen as I have been learning to use FLDIGI and listening on some the HF frequencies.  I did not understand telling a guy 599 when one had to ask 10 time to "say again all after...."

Again, thank you everyone.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »

On PSK-31, I tell the person theirline is a solid or powdery yellow line.

Phone, loud and clear.

Morse...Huh

Kraus

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

Give honest reports. RST is pointless without honest reports.  There is no shame in giving poor reports.  RST is provided to help the other op understand propagation, modify settings and improve his technique. 

73, bill
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »

Give honest reports. RST is pointless without honest reports.  There is no shame in giving poor reports.  RST is provided to help the other op understand propagation, modify settings and improve his technique. 

73, bill

And since the RS(T) reporting system is subjective to the operator, do you have a specific criteria that you use to determine the specific difference between an "8" and a "9" ?  How about between a "7" and an "8" ?   Etc, etc, etc.   

Please be specific, and do not say you use your uncalibrated S meter.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »

Since signal strength is 1-9, why not use S-9 as 9, S-6 as 6 and so on. I do.

I even tell them they're at S-9, well above noise. or S-4 same as noise.

Verballly describe how you receive them. Gosh, it's not hard.

Kraus

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »

1960s Navy radiotelephone procedure:

"Loud and Clear"  (~59)
"Good and Readable"  (~56)
"Weak but Readable"  (~45)
"Weak and Barely Readable"  (~33)

That was about all you'd ever hear (or say) when asking for (or giving) a "Radio Check".  You didn't use your "S Meter" because military equivalents of the "S Meter" were good for relative readings only, and varied with the RF gain and AGC speed settings.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

The RST report was a SUBJECTIVE report and had nothing to do with the S meter (or earlier R meter).  However, this is now universally ignored.
So you can be as honest as you wish or fib like most!
73s.

-Mike.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 05:01:19 AM »

Thank you for all the responses.  They are all understandable to this new operator.

I am getting comfortable in answering a CQ on SSB now and have made two contacts.  My digital skills are growing as well.  I have been trying to make one 40m contact per day using FT8.  I am soon going to add 20m to the mix since the SSB from my QTH seems to be as dead as the Bandconditions.com website says they are.

It would help if I could put up a yagi for 20 & 40 but my space is limited at the moment. A dipole running East to West is the best I do right now. Power lines run North to South on the west edge of my QTH thus blocking that setup for a 20m dipole running peak to peak over my roof.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: