The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR Pro 2 (Has any compared RX Specs against convention Mid Size HF Radios?  (Read 3093 times)
NN2X

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

Hello fellow Ham Operators!

I saw the Sherwood Engineering comparison with the HF Transceivers but not with these latest SDR receivers.

I am just wondering, has anyone compared the SDR Pro 2 against the mid size conventional HF Transceivers?

I just compared the SDR Pro2 with my Kenwood 590s and found that for my location the SDR  Pro2 unit is substantially better than my Kenwood (When using SSB). When I used the NR (Noise reduction) feature (On the SDR), I was able to eliminate the noise, while the Kenwood 590s could only reduce some (Note this was using NR feature)

This is no way an official comparison, but for the casual operator using SSB, for my location, the SDR Pro2, allowed me to work stations I could not work before..Oh yes a spectrum display!

Best

Tom, NN2X

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:03:06 PM by NN2X » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

Some things about sdr radios work better then analog radios, the filter ability and fidelity seem to be much better on even a cheap sdr.
Dynamic range can be more limited.
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »

I have an SDR play and use it as a panadapter.  The dynamic range of the SDR Play is not as good as most HF transceivers.  A very strong signal on the same band can overload the SDR and cause the noise floor to be modulated by the strong signal.  The other weakness is the latency.  The latest QST test shows the latency is over 500 ms.  I tried using the audio for the SDR Play as a second receiver and gave up on it because of the latency. 

Otherwise it makes a good panadapter.

Don
K9AQ
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

What K9AQ said.  BTW - the RSP-1 and RSP-2 are not direct sampling SDRs.  They use a chipset with an integral down converter, I/Q splitter and dual ADCs.

Brian - K6BRN
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:09:44 AM »

Keep in mind, there are at least three different programs that work with the sdr play units.
They can act different and have different features.

Hello fellow Ham Operators!

I saw the Sherwood Engineering comparison with the HF Transceivers but not with these latest SDR receivers.

I am just wondering, has anyone compared the SDR Pro 2 against the mid size conventional HF Transceivers?

I just compared the SDR Pro2 with my Kenwood 590s and found that for my location the SDR  Pro2 unit is substantially better than my Kenwood (When using SSB). When I used the NR (Noise reduction) feature (On the SDR), I was able to eliminate the noise, while the Kenwood 590s could only reduce some (Note this was using NR feature)

This is no way an official comparison, but for the casual operator using SSB, for my location, the SDR Pro2, allowed me to work stations I could not work before..Oh yes a spectrum display!

Best

Tom, NN2X

AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »

Isn't the OP referring to the Expert Electronics SDR PRO2 and not the SDR Play?  The SDR Pro2 Is direct sampling and excellent performing radio although only 15W if I remember correctly.  One of the better SDRs I have tried in that class.

Greg
AB7R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: