The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardwired smoke/CO2 detectors  (Read 3203 times)
K1HMS

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »

We are in the middle of a major remodel involving a permit and building inspectors. Thus we have to meet the current code and add hardwired combo smokes and detectors thoughout the house. Our current plug-in CO2 detectors have to be unplugged if I exceed a 1kW on 20m or 40m or they chirp.

Has anyone found  a specific brand or tytpe that appears to be immune to conducted RF? 
Has anyone run power to these through metal conduit, and did it help?

Hamilton K1HMS
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »

I just did a cleaning of my hardwired smoke detectors they were hard to set off. barely made a audible sound. So I cleaned them by blowing cand air,that helped alot. second cleaning in a 20 years. Truth said I should just buy 2 new hard wired units. I also have 2 battery units just recently changed the batteries. They lasted 7 years, I write the date on every thing.

Now to your question I have never had RFI issues with my units, but remember the hardwire units are 20 years old and the battery ones are 18 years old.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »

Why would you want hard wired ones? Battery power ones can last a year or more per battery and will work fine when power fails.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »

The electrical code mandates hardwired smoke detectors.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »

Why would you want hard wired ones? Battery power ones can last a year or more per battery and will work fine when power fails.

I DO NOT want hardwired detectors, our largest risk is during winter blackouts due to candles and the fireplace. Our town adopted the NFPA code which says hardwired and interconnected so if one goes off, they all go off. KH6AQ nailed it, they are not an option. They don't want anyone stealing the batteries.

The code says they all need to be on the same circuit, but not a dedicated circuit. For example if they are all on the same circuit as the ceiling lights it is likely you would notice a flipped breaker whereas a dedicated breaker could be off for months before it was noticed. I'll use EMT.

k1HMS
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »

My home has hard wired  FireX detectors.  Each detector has a standard 9V battery backup for power outages.  The unit must somehow check the battery status because they will chirp individually when the battery needs replacement, I guess purely out of age.  Our town requires all new construction to have hard wired, and interconnected detectors, and it has been this way for nearly 2 decades.  I've never had a problem with RF setting them off.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:03:11 PM by K3GM » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

Friend has the same problem with hardwired units.  He had to disconnect and install redundant battery units.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:37:43 AM »

I replaced my plug in CO2 detectors with these....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert-Battery-Operated-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector/999919374

Now I can run full legal limit with no problems. 

Joe
N3HEE

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »

I DO NOT want hardwired detectors, our largest risk is during winter blackouts due to candles and the fireplace. Our town adopted the NFPA code which says hardwired and interconnected so if one goes off, they all go off. KH6AQ nailed it, they are not an option. They don't want anyone stealing the batteries.

The code says they all need to be on the same circuit, but not a dedicated circuit. For example if they are all on the same circuit as the ceiling lights it is likely you would notice a flipped breaker whereas a dedicated breaker could be off for months before it was noticed. I'll use EMT.

k1HMS

In today's world the code is outdated and needs to be updated. They need to be self powered and they could be wireless linked if they are indeed linked. With a power failure the "code" system is worthless especially when many may be using portable gas/kerosene heaters or fire place when power is out in to keep war cold weather and need detectors the most. Hardwired if and only if they have battery backup...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »

The interesting thing here is there is research that shows that even though the number of fires is going down, the rate of fatalities has stayed constant. Even with periodic code updates that require more, and more sophisticated, detectors.

"Smoke Alarms - A Critical Look.ppt"
http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/firelifesafety/pdf/Smoke%20Alarm%20Task%20Force/Smoke%20Alarm%20Presentations/Smoke%20Alarms%20-%20A%20Critical%20Look.ppt

Kind of reminds me of the Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter situation. The "solution" carries a whole host of problems that hide the true cost of the anticipated increased benefit.

Jim K6JH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: