The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legallity of Paid for Remote stations  (Read 4586 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »

I've been browsing a couple of remote ham radio sites. W7DXX and RemoteHamRadio.com. I read about the legality of the control operator issues including the blessing by the FCC so I understand that part.

What I don't understand is how is this legal under Part 97.113, providing compensation to an amateur operator unless they are a teacher in the classroom?

Can someone enlighten me here? If I am going to pay for airtime, I have a cell phone. I wouldn't pay their expensive prices anyway.

Todd - KT0DD
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »

You are the control operator of the remote station.  The owner/licensee of the station is only renting you the use of the equipment so, he is NOT being compensated for operating the station.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »

Hmmm...Ok. It still seems to me like an end run around the rules but it doesn't matter. I'm not flush enough to spend $999 per year + per minute charges and even $200 for control operator privileges is more than I want to spend at this time. Maybe if I become apartment bound in my infirm old age I would sell all my gear and go that route. As long as I have my own gear, I'll stick with what I've got.

Thanks for your reply.

Todd - KT0DD
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »

You are the control operator of the remote station.  The owner/licensee of the station is only renting you the use of the equipment so, he is NOT being compensated for operating the station.

Actually 97.113 (a) (2) states differently
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »

Actually 97.113 (a) (2) doesn't apply because the licensee is NOT participating in the communications. He has designated the remote operator to be the control operator of his station during the time period when he is using it. Presumably he knows who the remote operator is and has vetted him to ensure that he has a valid license and knows how to get in touch with him in the event of an FCC violation. Since the remote operator must log on with a user name and password, the station licensee will have a record of who was acting as control operator at any given time.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: