The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expert on a Beam? I need your opinion.  (Read 3657 times)
NZ4Z

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »

OK..... I had a SteppIR DB-42, worked great, took a lightning hit, repaired it, sold it. Now...... i'd love to get 10-40 on one boom again, but choices are limited. I'd like something that won't break the bank, and currently looking at the  GXP 18-6. Amir, 4X6TT runs it, and loves it.  3,600.00 is the cost. I love the stuff Ken, JK Antennas has, but would take 2 antennas to get 10-40, and $$$. I know the cycle is bad, and 20 and 40 will be the better bands, and JK has the HAWK for 20 & 40, and looks great, but over 4K. Not sure what to do.

Confused!

*My tower, AN Wireless HHD-80 /  Rotor  -  Prosistel PST 61D
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »

As I recall, the Brits have an expression, "In for a penny; in for a pound."  Here in the States we have an expression, "It costs you only a nickle more to go first class!"

I can't count the times I've passed up a deal because it would have "broken the bank."  For example, a full dresser, mint Harley with very low mileage that the owner had $19,000 invested and unloaded it for for $9,000, or two Drilling shotgun/rifles, with
 beautifully engraved receivers and beautiful European walnut stocks for less than $500 each; now worth about 22 grand each NOW..... and the list goes on and on.

If you can afford 3.6Kbucks, what is another $400? Scheeech!

After a week you will have forgotten the price and the knot in the stomach will have untied itself.  In the meantime, patch up the bank.  I LOVE spending other people's money!   Cheesy
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »

Take a look at Optibeam....

http://www.optibeam.info/index.php?article_id=22&clang=1
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »

Get the CC A-4S with 40M add on and the A-3WS with the 30M add on and wind up with 7 bands with only 6-8' spacing and only $1600 for all.

If you want to splurge get the X-7 for $300 more. And forget 30M if youre not into CW or digital

Long history of reliability and excellent performance for the boom lengths and I doubt if the packages for $3600-4K  will gain you much in a pileup except maybe 40M. The rotator will also last longer.

Put a long 6M on top and work DXCC at the bottom of the cycle.

Carl
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

You had three active elements on a 42 foot boom for 40/30 with 5 elements for 20-6 meters. It got hit by lightning...so what.  You will not find another antenna with the front to back, front to side  and gain for all the bands at twice the weight and wind loading.

Your bad for not retracting the elements in a lightning prone area.  Buy another D-42 antenna and learn from the experience. My SteppIR has been hit 6 times I know of over 11 years in Colorado.  No problem. The key is to stow the elements when not in use. Use proper surge protection and grounding. Due proper grounding for the shack and the home.  Unless you go with stacked Opti Beams you will not be happy.
W1XWX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »

I have a Mosley 33 with their 40 meter kit on it. It has been up for about 5 years now without any issues. W1XWX 73

Life's too short for QRP
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »

RUN do not walk away from the MFJ/Cushcraft A3S/A4S.  The newer versions have traps whose center support structure is soft plastic rather than rigid fiberglass.  Same with the A4S.  Google it.  When I replaced my trusty old (real) Cushcraft A3S with a new one, due to salt air corrosion damage, the new on began to have SWR jumps within a week.  MFJ shipped me more traps - they all had the same problem.  And when I opened one up, I found out why.

So... I replaced the defective A3S with a Mosley TA-33-MWARC + TA-40-KR 40M dipole kit and never looked back.  The Mosley is mechanically solid and electrically robust.  Works on the WARC bands and 10-40M with good bandwidth on each band.  No problems at all.  I recommend you purchase the 2 inch mast mounting kit, as the standard U-bolts are too small for this size mast.  Assembly instructions are a little obtuse as well.

About $1,200

The TA-33's also come in both longer and shorter boom lengths, so you can optimize antenna performance within your space and mass limits.

CARL:  Would you like me to send you a sample trap to see what I'm talking about?   I've got a few lying around, and the're useless.

Brian - K6BRN
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »

Mosley has a model 33 S that has 3 elements on 40, 20, and 17. Two of my friends have these antennas and they they work pretty  well. The traps are fussy to adjust but after three tries we got all the band's adjusted.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »

The Mosley TA-33 traps are not adjustable but the antenna has three (3) pre-drilled holes in the element tubes to set the resonance point on each band.  Just select a hole and go to center up the desired resonance point, per the Mosley chart that comes with the antenna.  If you try to "tune" the antenna on the ground, the resonance point will drift when it is put up in the air.  MIne went together and tuned up very easily, despite being up just 36 feet.  But SWR does visibly vary depending on band and pointing direction, because of coupling to the metal gutters around my ome and a nearby neighbor's home.  Same thing happened with my old (good/working) A3S.

Brian - K6BRN
NZ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »

If you can afford 3.6Kbucks, what is another $400? Scheeech!

3600.00 gets me 10 thru 40       4000.00 was only for 20 & 40
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »

This depends on your interests.
However, I can tell you that "back in the good old days" when the cycle was in the doldrums, and the discussions were "multiband vs monoband", a lot of the "old timers" would just set up large monobanders for 20 meters and let dipoles handle the rest.  When the cycle started it's climb, they would start thinking about other antennas.
But then  again... we were always switching and trying antennas of one form or another!
Do you really want/need multiband? Monoband is half the price.

-Mike.

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »

I understand we are 6-12 months from the bottom of the cycle. 20 and 40 will be the money bands with maybe a little activity on 17. With up to 3 years for decent DX, I would get at least 3 elements on 40 and get the antenna up at least 80 feet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: