The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 891 owners...mic question for ya.  (Read 1796 times)
KF5YTK

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »

My question is to those that own this rig, have you upgraded to another microphone and what is your recommendation for settings on the particular mic you paired with it? 

I purchased this rig and also purchased a Heil pro 7 headset and was curious if anyone else had done the same ! Thanks and 73's
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »

My question is to those that own this rig, have you upgraded to another microphone and what is your recommendation for settings on the particular mic you paired with it? 

I purchased this rig and also purchased a Heil pro 7 headset and was curious if anyone else had done the same ! Thanks and 73's

I haven't upgraded.  I use the rig mostly portable and the reports of audio quality have been good with the supplied mic.  I use compression, but turned down the default setting. If I used it mostly in the house, I would have a headset too.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:01 AM »

The 891 has an equalizer so almost any mic can be made good. The hand mike is good enough after equalization.
Ignacy, NO9E
WR3V

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »

Look at the Heil website.  They have general Yaesu recommendations in two different areas.  While they don't specifically make ft-891 settings (too new, I guess), they do offer suggestions.  Reduce the low frequencies, and boost the mid and high ranges.  Use the MEQ settings in the menu.  There are separate menus for the processor off and on.  I use the HM-12 that HRO and Heil gave away with the purchase, and find I don't need to use the processor at all, I just leave the MEQ engaged.

BTW, I find the receive a little 'raspy', does anybody else?  And as far as DSP settings, I find 9 works best on SSB.

Rich WR3V
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

Do you know how your rig presently sounds?

-Mike.
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »

I have the pro 7 also and get good feedback from the locals with it.  I did alter the pro7 to have a 20 foot cord so I could move about and I added a T/R switch on the headset so I can control transmissions without running VOX or carrying a switch.  I feel that both options should be available from Heil, but they are not and they do not even offer extension headset cords Huh?    ! Woody
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: