The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Much cluster stalking  (Read 7772 times)
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »

Novel? SpotCollector, a component of DXLab, has since 2001 displayed one amalgamated entry for each active DX station, with the ability to view each active dx station's raw spots in chronological order, augmented with the location of each spotting station.

Exactly... One of my pet peeves is the constant spotting of the same station/band/mode over and over that amounts to hundreds of spots per day during DXpeditions. At this magnitude, this is clearly done for the purpose of bragging, begging, and crying. Spot Collector filters out the clutter of useless spots. It's a jungle out there. That Joe DX guy has alerted me of many needed stations I would have otherwise missed. Thanks Dave, for your contribution to our hobby.

Have a laptop on XP that's dedicated to DX Lab. Did the PosReady registry hack to extend the updates. Everything went fine until a few months ago when an update didn't agree with DX Lab. Tried to open Spot Collector and DX Keeper and got errors. Couldn't find a way to undo the hack, so formatted, reinstalled XP without the hack, and everything is now working fine.

There's times I'll go to DX Heat or other sources, especially when I'm working a DXpedition or a specific band. Hearing from multiple stations can help us with information like split and if the DX is listening up or down. The DX doesn't always send this information over the air. But the clutter of useless spots will be there, so we have to filter through that mess. It is what it is, so we have to live with it. But it ain't the end of the world, at least not until 2018.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4949100/Arrested-drunk-man-claims-time-traveled-warn-aliens.html

Hey bartender, give me a shot of what he's drinking, and please call me a cab.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »

Novel? SpotCollector, a component of DXLab, has since 2001 displayed one amalgamated entry for each active DX station, with the ability to view each active dx station's raw spots in chronological order, augmented with the location of each spotting station.

Exactly... One of my pet peeves is the constant spotting of the same station/band/mode over and over that amounts to hundreds of spots per day during DXpeditions.

When a DX station is working split, spot notes can provide useful information about the station's operating pattern before you jump in. Does he or she camp on one frequency, move up the split range and then start at the bottom, move up the split range and then move back down, or hop around within the range? Seeing raw spots in chronological order provides this information, but based on your comments it would be useful to optionally hide raw spots whose notes don't contain QSX information.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 04:47:54 AM »

Exactly... One of my pet peeves is the constant spotting of the same station/band/mode over and over that amounts to hundreds of spots per day during DXpeditions.

As Yogi Berra said: Nobody uses spots anymore, it's too crowded.

So now I'm not only supposed to not spot US stations, and not spot common DX stations, and if it's rare DX I'm not supposed to spot it either. Got it.

It is pretty obvious that most spots are essentially brags, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:50:59 AM by N3QE » Logged
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »

So now I'm not only supposed to not spot US stations, and not spot common DX stations, and if it's rare DX I'm not supposed to spot it either. Got it.

It is pretty obvious that most spots are essentially brags, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

It all has to do with how people use the cluster. Automation has its disadvantages too. Some clusters, and cluster clients, already have ways of limiting what you see. I filter how many times the same station is spotted, origin, and LOTW use. More granularity would be even better. In the end, it's better to have the info available, and filter accordingly, than not have anything to filter in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:22:58 AM by VA3VF » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »

So now I'm not only supposed to not spot US stations, and not spot common DX stations, and if it's rare DX I'm not supposed to spot it either.

I strongly disagree.

Your spot of a station in West Virginia might help an Indonesian station with his pursuit of WAS.

Your spot of a station in Greece might help a Virginia station determine when and where to listen for SV2ASP/A.

And not all spots mean "I worked it!" If I'm tuning the band and hear a 3A or a 4S or a YJ, I spot it.

My complaints are bogus spots like those of P5KIM, or spots whose notes are inconsistent with the purpose of DX spot, like "no copy here".
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 03:24:26 AM »

And not all spots mean "I worked it!" If I'm tuning the band and hear a 3A or a 4S or a YJ, I spot it.

My complaints are bogus spots like those of P5KIM, or spots whose notes are inconsistent with the purpose of DX spot, like "no copy here".

"P5AAA just testing."   

"Just went QRT."   

"Pse SSB (or CW)"   

"Pse NA Sunrise"   

Many are during major DXpeditions and while it's possible that the DXpedition is connected to the spotting cluster, I doubt it.  If someone wants the DXpedition to go to a specific band/mode at a certain time because of propagation, then contact the pilot stations with that information.   If the DXpedition comes up on 160 too late in the morning for East Coast, notify the pilot station.  Don't "spot it."   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

Even more to the point:  If you are too lazy to contact the pilot station (which does not exist for all DXpeds anyway), there is a broadcast mode which can be used instead of a spot. 

If the DX is actually listening to the cluster, unfiltered, they will see it.  If they have their own filters on, the DX probably sees neither one anyway.  If they are even listening.

On the rare day I am running a pileup in my not-very-rare (comfortable) DX locations I go to; even there, I am too busy to read spots.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »

Over the past few years I've noticed something. More people staring and working the cluster then spinning the VFO.

Far too often I hear DX calling CQ and begging for QSO's, usually because they haven't been spotted yet.

One spot and bam, a pileup begins.

I know this isn't new, but seems to be getting worse.

I find myself with the same problem, calling CQ for 15 minutes to no avail. I know I'm being heard, but too many people just staring at the cluster and of course I won't self spot..

I guess it's just the nature of people being lazy, but it's not fishing if you just wait for the them to land in your bucket.

Hi AJ,

If I call CQ I nearly always get a pileup. Maybe it's because I'm loud. But I have no problems whatsoever. No matter the mode - phone, CW, digital.

On CW you don't have to be spotted. RBN will pick you up. Of course that means RBN must hear you first. Pete IRT and I did an experiment. In many cases I was being heard by RBN in Europe and he wasn't. That could be part of the reason.

Ria
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »

I don't mind No Copy Here spots either, if they're somewhat near me and propagation is funky. So long as a spot contains some form of usable data it's good as far as I'm concerned. I would argue even a BINGOOOOOOO! spot is usable if the DX is simplex or only listening on one frequency, since it conclusively shows there's a path between the Bingoer and the Bingoee. The only spots that don't belong on the cluster are ones to the DX where it's known they don't have or use 'net access while running. That's what the pilots are for. I was one for the VP8s, and we generally enjoy being of assistance!

A.J. has a bit weaker station than me, and if I hear him CQing in SSB I sure as heck will spot him. It's not really rare DX to anybody, but it's usable DX to a newbie going for his WAS (we all need NJ for WAS, after all) or a county award. Plus he's a friend, a fellow club member, and soon to be a member of our Executive Committee. My spotting him has more significance to me--and him--than spotting a random I, F, or DL that I work on 20.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AJ2I

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »

[

A.J. has a bit weaker station than me, and if I hear him CQing in SSB I sure as heck will spot him. It's not really rare DX to anybody, but it's usable DX to a newbie going for his WAS (we all need NJ for WAS, after all) or a county award. Plus he's a friend, a fellow club member, and soon to be a member of our Executive Committee. My spotting him has more significance to me--and him--than spotting a random I, F, or DL that I work on 20.

Thanks Ria and Peter!
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »

On the other end of the spectrum (in term of spotting) are the Japanese, Chinese & many other Asian countries. It's a rare occasion indeed should you ever see a string of JA's spotting on the cluster. They spot once & everyone rushes to the spotted frequency. There might not be another JA spot for 45 minutes all while the pileup roars along.

I asked several Japanese amateurs why they spot so infrequently while in Asia a few months ago. They all said the same thing. The Asian culture discourages drawing attention to ones self & spotting can be perceived as drawing attention to yourself...........If a few other continents took this same approach the cluster would be a better off place!!!  

Tom KC0W

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »

What is with all the cluster posts about the 3C0L logs posted to Clublog?
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

Because they are there. Thanks for the post, I needed that.

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

Because they are there. Thanks for the post, I needed that.

I swear they were not there an hour ago. Bingo!
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »

spots that don't belong on the cluster are ones to the DX where it's known they don't have or use 'net access while running.

Some may check the cluster when they come home. I worked CE0Y/W1MJ, a holiday style activity in April. I posted to the cluster that he was 599+ on his QRP 5 Watts and a vertical. Upon his return home he read my cluster spot and sent me an email saying I made his day. He was operating QRP from the north shore of the island, the antenna was right beside the ocean, and the propagation between us must have been just right at that moment for his 5 Watts to be that strong.

However, what I dislike are the "Thanks For Calling Me" spots. For example, you sit on your frequency calling CQ, a rare DX calls you, you make the QSO, post his call sign to the cluster, then continue calling CQ on that frequency! WTF?  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: