The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Much cluster stalking  (Read 7313 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »

Some may check the cluster when they come home. I worked CE0Y/W1MJ, a holiday style activity in April. I posted to the cluster that he was 599+ on his QRP 5 Watts and a vertical. Upon his return home he read my cluster spot and sent me an email saying I made his day. He was operating QRP from the north shore of the island, the antenna was right beside the ocean, and the propagation between us must have been just right at that moment for his 5 Watts to be that strong.

However, what I dislike are the "Thanks For Calling Me" spots. For example, you sit on your frequency calling CQ, a rare DX calls you, you make the QSO, post his call sign to the cluster, then continue calling CQ on that frequency! WTF?  Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, those are ridiculous. And speaking of QRP, I worked my friend Zev, VP5/N2WKS last night first with 500mW then a minute later using only 100mW. We were chatting on social media and between his callers on 30 I sent a couple of calls. 100mW is the lowest power I can transmit, and the lowest I've ever worked anybody with. No, I wouldn't try to bust a pileup with it, but it's nice to know it can work.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

Then there is the guy (forget who it was), where the comment in every spot he had over the contest weekend had his website.    Roll Eyes

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »

Yep... I know exactly who the two spotters are in question. The guy with his website does not really bother me, but like Marvin, I don't understand the point of the "thanks for calling me" spots. It's not like anyone who sees the spots will be able to go to that frequency and work them  Huh
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Yep... I know exactly who the two spotters are in question. The guy with his website does not really bother me, but like Marvin, I don't understand the point of the "thanks for calling me" spots. It's not like anyone who sees the spots will be able to go to that frequency and work them  Huh

Yes, and by doing that they waste everyone's time. Imagine your DX alarm wakes you up in the middle of the night because of it!  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE

KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »

Yes, and by doing that they waste everyone's time. Imagine your DX alarm wakes you up in the middle of the night because of it!  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE

Man, that would stink! What about the guys that spot some rare DX like 3Y or P5 and just say "testing" in the comments. I can just hear all of the sleepy groans of hams around the world when their alarms go off for that spot  Grin

That is why I have not set any alarms for DX  Cheesy

N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »

Filters. Options.

Perfect.

http://www.n0un.net/us-stations-spotted-on-dx-cluster/

N0UN

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »

Yep, a good option to use if you have zero interest in stateside stations. But I think most of us here are somewhat interested in the Triple Play, at least one or two Worked All States certificates, and/or VUCC on 6 and up. All awards every serious DXer should be after in my opinion.

I use CC Cluster on Lee's own node, where you can filter DX countries by band, where I leave 6m open for VUCC grid squares, and all modes open for the U.S. on the HF digital sub-bands, since I only need 8 more digital states for my TPA. If I really wanted to be bothered I'd open up the few remaining states I need only but that would be too much like work.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »

[

A.J. has a bit weaker station than me, and if I hear him CQing in SSB I sure as heck will spot him. It's not really rare DX to anybody, but it's usable DX to a newbie going for his WAS (we all need NJ for WAS, after all) or a county award. Plus he's a friend, a fellow club member, and soon to be a member of our Executive Committee. My spotting him has more significance to me--and him--than spotting a random I, F, or DL that I work on 20.

Thanks Ria and Peter!

Of course, I will spot friends as I see them.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: