The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I passed now what?  (Read 7372 times)
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

So I'm brand new and I got a Gordon West book or HamTestOnline and I managed to pass all the way to Extra.  It's pretty easy don't tell me it's not because it is.  Some folks don't understand what to do after they pass the test.  What better forum for some new hams to get some much needed information about what to do next.  This is not about me but about the NEW ham that just passed his or her test.  I'm confident that you all have some really good advice for some of the new folks.  Feel free to include links procedure stuff ETC...  Above all please be nice. 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »

First things first - Does this Ham have an antenna or radio?  Has this Ham joined the local radio club?  Often a good place to find an Elmer.
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »

Most new Ham operators like to work long distance, the further the better., and using SSB..

I have two options, based on budget

Option one...1,800 through 2,500 (USD) /  (Used or new)

1. HF Antenna, K4KIO Hex Beam / TV Mast 45 FT /  TV Rotor /  Costs...600 (USD)

2. HF Transceiver, if one can afford, ICOM 7300, if not, conventional Radio (Kenwood 830, 950, or 590S)

3. Yes, get the Amplifier, SB 200, or 220...

Option 2 / 500 (USD)

1. Mono Bander Dipole. (20 meters) / Band is dead, 20 meters is still alive

2. Transceiver Kenwood 830 / or 520

If digital path, option 2 is plenty especially running the Olivia modes, or BPSK31

Like all Ham operators will indicate it is the antenna...Hex beam will make a Ham operator very happy!

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:14:27 AM »

Congratulations.

Now what? Let's see.

Get a simple transceiver, a simple antenna and start at 20 meters phone.

See who reach. See if you like it. You might find this hobby an incredible waste of time.

Kraus
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »

PLANKEYE, you have been on eHAM since 2008 and you've said you've been licensed since 1961 (Oct. 30, 2016 Licensing post). What is your call sign?
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »

PLANKEYE, you have been on eHAM since 2008 and you've said you've been licensed since 1961 (Oct. 30, 2016 Licensing post). What is your call sign?

You don't really think he'll tell you, do you?   Grin 
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »

THIS IS PLANKEYE

If I bring up how Super Bad the operators act now days.  Hold up for a minute back in 1951 we had the same thing in our day.  Good gracious that stuff has been Super Bad since I got my ticket back in 1961.  I think the Ticket should be extremely hard to obtain.  If I bring that up folks come out of the woodwork that say testing does not matter.  But if you go to the Doctor you want him or her to be tested.  I don't get it.

If testing doesn't matter call Walmart when you need medical care. 

PLANKEYE AGAIN

I think this is the post you all seem to misunderstand.  You all can figure it out.  And above all else be nice to one and all.  You might make someones day by just being nice. 
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

You mean that you really don't know what Justins callsign is?
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

So I'm brand new and I got a Gordon West book or HamTestOnline and I managed to pass all the way to Extra.  It's pretty easy don't tell me it's not because it is.  Some folks don't understand what to do after they pass the test.  What better forum for some new hams to get some much needed information about what to do next.  This is not about me but about the NEW ham that just passed his or her test.  I'm confident that you all have some really good advice for some of the new folks.  Feel free to include links procedure stuff ETC...  Above all please be nice. 
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »

Please tell us your call sign.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:13:16 AM »

You mean that you really don't know what Justins callsign is?

Nope, I would like to know what his callsign is also.  Mine is K0UA
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

Above all please be nice. 

Above all be honest and don't be a troll.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

Well some people who look at this thread topic for information get complete nonsense.  If anyone has information on what to do after they passed the test please help others out.  If you do not have anything good to say or helpful please say nothing.   
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

Well some people who look at this thread topic for information get complete nonsense.  If anyone has information on what to do after they passed the test please help others out.  If you do not have anything good to say or helpful please say nothing.   

Wow.  Do you ever sound familiar. Wow.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »

So I'm brand new and I got a Gordon West book or HamTestOnline and I managed to pass all the way to Extra..... 

Total BS.  No call sign means it never happened.  Wow.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: