The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why such animosity towards volunteers  (Read 13281 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

"According to the Federal Communications Commission, 82 percent of cell phone sites in Puerto Rico and 58 percent in the US Virgin Islands remain out of service due to the hurricane."

Three weeks ...

73 de Ray.
Not knowing the details with respect to reconstruction of overhead lines, we can only speculate.  Since also as of last night, 89 percent were still without power, according to media accounts.  Since telco trunks were largely underbuilt on overhead power poles, and those are needed to restore cell sites, one can draw a preliminary conclusion:  Not enough linemen, equipment, and materials to have gotten things back yet.

Others, including me, conclude from that a less than satisfactory logistical pipeline.  And, FEMA could help with that situation.  Transporting large trucks and heavy cargo via large AF aircraft is fairly routine following disasters.  FEMA commandiered an AF C5A following the SF Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and delivered 6 very large EHV circuit breakers to us out in NorCA so we could keep the lights on in Silicon Valley.  Just one example.  I'm sure there are others.

Of course, "why should we spend anymore money on Puerto Rico?"  (This morning's headlines).

73 and buena suerte,

Lee
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »

the way i look at it is there are a bunch of people in trouble and we radio operators have a skill set that can help restore some order to the chaos.  being a responsible adult we shoudl all do what we are able to do to make that happen.  if you can handle traffic good, if you can put up antennas good, if  you can use the skills that we work on in some fashion to help get these people through this with minimal loss of life and property good.

alex

Alex, Tim Kraus here.

Did you post this from Puerto Rico or from your living room couch?

Have at it Alex.

Kraus
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2017, 03:59:02 AM »

"At the moment of truth, you will not rise to the level of expectation, you will fall to the level of training."
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2017, 05:11:21 AM »

How optimistic.

Rick KK4GGL
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »

My animosity towards volunteers is their whining, "Look at me! I'm helping. Why aren't you?'

Kraus
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »

My animosity towards volunteers is their whining, "Look at me! I'm helping. Why aren't you?'

Kraus

http://www.betterthanpants.com/hi-i-don-t-care-thanks-t-shirt?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product%20Listing%20Ads(BSC)%20(Original%20Don%27t%20Touch)&utm_term=1100100723800&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231#!

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KC9PWT

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »

the way i look at it is there are a bunch of people in trouble and we radio operators have a skill set that can help restore some order to the chaos.  being a responsible adult we shoudl all do what we are able to do to make that happen.  if you can handle traffic good, if you can put up antennas good, if  you can use the skills that we work on in some fashion to help get these people through this with minimal loss of life and property good.

alex

Alex, Tim Kraus here.

Did you post this from Puerto Rico or from your living room couch?

Tim,
i it is from my home location, i did send an application to ARRL to be a red cross volunteer to go to Puerto Rico but they had filled the quota already.  just feel like people that have ability should use that  ability if need arises,  we take this amateur radio license and accept that one of the premises of the amateur radio service is that it can be valuable asset   in an emergency . the people in the Caribbean have this need at this time.  we have skills and knowledge that allows us to fulfill that mission so we should consider using them if the need arises, and continue to practice them to hone our skills for the day the need arises.

alex

Have at it Alex.

Kraus
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

CW,

OK.

Alex,

They won't refuse you.

Have fun folks and always be safe.

Kraus
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 04:08:19 AM »

Kraus

Becasue they all do that, right?

Here's an idea. Go count the number of volunteers. Then count the number whiners.
Count honestly.
Do the math for the percentage of "whiners".

Rick KK4GGL
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 06:23:21 AM »

Pertinear every volunteer I've met whined, 'look at me everyone!'

If not that, many spout out, "I give to charity because it makes me feel good."

Very selfish.

Bah! Hum bug 'the volunteer'.

Kraus
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

I know I don't get out much but wasn't aware of a lot of animosity toward volunteers.  I don't think hams should get in the way of emergency people though.. we should be what others rely on when the real emergency folks have comm problems.
K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »

If they volunteer, great!   Example, a catastrophe hits a very wide area and your right in the middle.  You have no power, water, food, nothing.  First vehicles can not get to you or do they even know the situation on the ground.  Your car battery is dead and you have no other source of power.  So now your have no way to power anything.  How many of you can take an items from your home when everything else has failed and create a power source to charge your battery and run your radios to advise as to what is needed.  I can.  So can a lot of you if you think a second.  All you need is a bike, alternator and regulator from a car, some rope or rope like item, some wire, a piece of wood, and your battery.

I bet you most "highly skilled and trained" first response emergency people that don't need hams will have a clue what to do.

btw Why did the ARRL ask for hams to send to PR?   According to the bashers, hams are not needed ever.
KC9PWT

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

well again we are an old reliable tool, yes not too whizzbang  satellite techno-miracle. in the early 20th century we were the whizzbang.  sometimes old school minimal infrastructure self contained tools are what is the best tool for the job.  there are a whole bunch of folks that volunteered to go to Puerto Rico and they got a good 50 in twelve hours after asking. was i a good candidate, maybe not the best, i have another set of skills that could have been helpful also.  they had over 200 apply to go.  good on the 200.  we should be saluting these folks that rose to the occasion.  hope they are having the time of their lives and having an adventure .  hope we will  see some AAR of what happened. no Tarzan swinging from the trees just guys setting up a net and passing traffic. nets like we have working all over this country every week.

God bless the heart of the volunteer!!!

alex
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »

"At the moment of truth, you will not rise to the level of expectation, you will fall to the level of training."

How optimistic.

NA4IT did not make a negative statement, he made a true statement. In fact, he's spot on.
You'll fight like you train. The better trained you are, the better you'll be "at the moment of truth".
And if you didn't train at all, you're not going to fight at all. Simple fact.

And in this post 9/11 world, the ones who chose not to train, aren't going to be
allowed to help. They'll be the ones on ham radio websites moaning and complaining about
how unfair things are. They'll also probably be the ones expressing the animosity that is
the topic of this thread. All because they chose not to take the necessary training.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: