The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling overwhelmed, and really old and stupid....  (Read 4407 times)
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

Hey, you don't even need a 4 ft high army or navy surplus RTTY teletype machine to copy RTTY any more.

My first RTTY machine was a Model 15.  Big ugly black oily, and highly complex machine.  A marvel of 1920's engineering.

Don't knock it.  I still use my Model 28ASR with the HAL ST-6000.  Paper is getting a little hard to find, but I guess if it comes down to it, I can run a roll of paper towels through it.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »

Good luck Jay, you might want to take a look at the SKCC website.  If you like old school CW those folks are not hard to find on the air and all the freq are on the website.  Good luck and have fun.   
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »

SKCC -> Yes, just getting my feet wet there Smiley.
WB2DWD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »

Jay:  I live on a sailboat in FL.  Been licensed since '75.  I've a dipole up for 40M.  If I ever hear you on the band, I'LL be the rusty, crusty, slow speed straight key calling you.  73 & best DX.  Bob
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »

A Tempo (Uniden) 2020 used to be my dream radio back in the 1970's.  I always wanted one but gave up the older rigs due to lack of service and parts for them.  Welcome back to the hobby, lot to get excited about now.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »

I was off the air and unlicensed for 50 years.

When I started up again I had to take the exams. They were easier, no schematics to draw and no mean-looking FCC employee to test my code speed.

When I turned on my new receiver I heard an unbelievable amount of background noise on 40M. Where did that come from? It took me a while reflecting on the consequences of hundreds of nearby switching wall wart power supplies, plasma TVs, "schmart" gas and electric meters, etc.

And last, I didn't hear all the Russian and Japanese stations pounding in as I did back in the late 1950s. I had
to listen hard for those ZLs. Propagation has waned.

As for me personally, I liked my old 100 lb. transmitter and my 40 lb. receiver. My new gear is tiny and runs off 14 V. I still use a bug. Everyone else uses paddles and a keyer. Zero beating another station means matching a sidetone frequency which is not nearly as simple as hearing the beat rate reduce to zero.

It's gotten more complex and maybe more crowded and certainly more radio-as-appliance-oriented. Back in
the day everyone built a good part of his station. Built a transmitter from a kit, at the least. Never would have
thought in those days about buying a commercially-made wire antenna or sending code automatically.

Oh yeah, I am old and stupid, but I know better than to worry about it.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: