The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solder Paste  (Read 4141 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »

oh heck yeah, they've been in use for at least 15 years that I've seen when covers are off. likely 20+ years. there is a plastic base with the two connectors.
N0TZU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »

I assume at least some of these are ceramic capacitors. They can crack under thermal stress from poor soldering, so one needs to be careful.

I would think hot air with a narrow nozzle would be the best choice, but for a soldering iron, the usual recommendations are to keep the soldering iron temperature under about 570F, and only apply heat to the trace, not directly on the terminal on the capacitor. Preheating the area with a little oven or hot air is recommended especially when using a single tip iron because of the temperature differential between the two ends of the capacitor.

Here is a link to suggestions from TDK, who make a lot of capacitors.

https://product.tdk.com/info/en/contact/faq/faq_detail_D/1432616883410.html?disppage=1&faq_category=09
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:42:48 AM by N0TZU » Logged
N0PKG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »

I only plan to replace electrolytic capacitors, I will assume the other styles are more reliable.

For what it's worth, I had seen many recommendations to purchase soldering paste from Cash Olson KD5SSJ. It seems he no longer sells it. When i ordered it, he still had it on his site, but now he removed the purchase option. He does post a recommendation of where to purchase it instead. Not sure if it's appropriate for me to repost here, but you can find his website easily on Google or other search engines.
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »

SMT electrolytic?

They make them?

Kraus
They sure did. I was servicing the 8mm "Handi-cams" in the early '90's and those electrolytics caused all kinds of headaches. Canon even sold kits to recap their models listed by issue and symptom.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: