The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just goes to show ya it's never too late to request a QSL!.....  (Read 3043 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

Here's a QSL card quest story for ya.....(and I may be putting the cart before the horse, but...)..back in November of 1989, I worked ZC4MK on one of the UK Military Bases on Cyprus....I have been trying ever since or at least since 2002 to obtain a QSL card from Adrian to confirm this semi-rare to rare entity.....cards sent to various addresses that Adrian had went unanswered...as well as e-mail contacts.....and I gave up.....well low and behold just yesterday, I discovered via the DX World site that Adrian will be returning to Cyprus to activate his old call sign when he was stationed there all those years ago for the CQ WW SSB Contest....the DX World article provided a link to his updated qrz site, which now contains an OQRS, probably set up for his upcoming operation during the CQ WW...his newly added OQRS contains qsos that dated back to the late 80s.....I entered my old KA3NRX call sign and  BADA BING!....there it was!!!!.....so naturally I proceeded to fill out the qso info and request the card I have long been looking to obtain.....Adrian's OQRS is via the Bureau only, so it could still be a while before I ever see his card, but at least now, the chances of getting it are greatly increased thanks to this lucky and unexpected internet stumble.....here's hoping that after almost 30 years, a ZC4MK card shows up in an upcoming bureau shipment!....Thanks Adrian, and I hope to hear and work you in the contest as well, after all this time!.....I can't wait for my next bureau shipment...Seeing ZC4MK in it would be a very nice Christmas present indeed... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin.......

V
K3NRX

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:02:25 PM by K3NRX » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »

Nice!! When I got into re-chasing DX and QSL'ing several years ago.. I went after confirming some contacts from the late 80's / early 90's when I was active as a teenager.. I few noteworthy to me was one from operation desert storm in Saudi Arabia, a beautiful card from South Korea and one from Pitcairn Island. Two I missed out on but I tried to get.. 9N1MM and a deleted entity, Walvis Bay.
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:56:59 AM »

Oh well... I tried to recover  a card from an ancient Mellish Reef contact, only to realize the log keeper had been a s.k. for many years, and the logs are all gone. This will be very very hard to get a confirmation from, why? We are mounting a mega-expedition to Mellish in november, and once this is done, it will surely be many years until I am at the other end of the radio to work Mellish Cheesy

My plan B is to get someone to operate my home station to get it confirmed...
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »

Plan C: set up your home station for remote operation and make the QSO yourself. That's what I would do. Hopefully you will have good enough Internet on Mellish.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:40:45 AM »

Yep....there are those that do get away with no hope for recovery.....Like our friend in Sweden above, I had the same kind of situation with HV3SJ.....SK manager/station op & logs lost forever.....should have done the direct thing back in 92 when I worked him......that happens....

Another note of thanks....to the DX World website.....Thanks for providing the info that lead me to this discovery....

V
K3NRX

SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:28 AM »

Plan C: set up your home station for remote operation and make the QSO yourself. That's what I would do. Hopefully you will have good enough Internet on Mellish.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
Indeed, this was really plan A until I started to investigate how much it would cost Sad I have my Flex so the remote stuff is all set (I often run remote),  but using Inmarsat BGAN to provide the streaming facility would cost far far to much. For a lot less I could pay someone to use my radio and water my flowers Smiley. Hey, they would even get a free beer from the fridge Cheesy

Just to have on-line logs would cost ~$2k due to the way Inmarsat do bill for data. Upload log a few times a-day would cut this to just a few hundred though. If someone do have information on how to cut the Inmarsat costs please contact me via PM. I would LOVE to run some remote Smiley
G0KOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »

Here's a QSL card quest story for ya.....(and I may be putting the cart before the horse, but...)..back in November of 1989, I worked ZC4MK on one of the UK Military Bases on Cyprus....I have been trying ever since or at least since 2002 to obtain a QSL card from Adrian to confirm this semi-rare to rare entity.....cards sent to various addresses that Adrian had went unanswered...as well as e-mail contacts.....and I gave up.....well low and behold just yesterday, I discovered via the DX World site that Adrian will be returning to Cyprus to activate his old call sign when he was stationed there all those years ago for the CQ WW SSB Contest....the DX World article provided a link to his updated qrz site, which now contains an OQRS, probably set up for his upcoming operation during the CQ WW...his newly added OQRS contains qsos that dated back to the late 80s.....I entered my old KA3NRX call sign and  BADA BING!....there it was!!!!.....so naturally I proceeded to fill out the qso info and request the card I have long been looking to obtain.....Adrian's OQRS is via the Bureau only, so it could still be a while before I ever see his card, but at least now, the chances of getting it are greatly increased thanks to this lucky and unexpected internet stumble.....here's hoping that after almost 30 years, a ZC4MK card shows up in an upcoming bureau shipment!....Thanks Adrian, and I hope to hear and work you in the contest as well, after all this time!.....I can't wait for my next bureau shipment...Seeing ZC4MK in it would be a very nice Christmas present indeed... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin.......

V
K3NRX

Hi Vince

Well Christmas might just come a little early for you, only just setting up the OQRS thing for the trip in a few weeks, ive been off the air for quite a few years and moved about quite a bit but got the bug back earlier this year, pop me an email to my QRZ page address, im still inputting my logs from ZC4MK and VP8COI into a computer log, its a slow process but if you pop me a mail I will check my old paper logs and get a card off to you in the next couple of days, amazingly enough I still have about 20 of my original (very basic) cards I had in 1989 in ZC4 so you will get one of the original batch.

Look out for me in the CQWW SSB Contest from ZC4, first time airing my old call in 26 years

Happy Christmas :-)

Adrian

G0KOM, ZC4MK, VP8COI
G0KOM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »

In fact just seen you were KA3NRX back then, found you, card written and will be posted tomorrow

Adrian

G0KOM, ZC4MK, VP8COI
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hello Adrian!...great to hear from you!.......Yes indeed!.....this is wonderful fabulous news.....thanks much!....and I will send you my cards too, one with the old call and one with the condensed call...Let me verify your address from QRZ:

67 Avon Road
Chelmsford CM1 2JX
England

Honestly, if you hadn't come out of your ham radio retirement, and posted that OQRS, & if I hadn't seen your cq ww ambitions on DX World, I would have never remembered.....and I understand all the moving around over the years....that's life sometimes, and it takes a chunk out of what we like to do...No problem...I look forward very much to getting you finally in the collection after all this time!.......and yes, if the conditions permit, I will be looking out for ya during the test later in the month....Thank you very kindly again, and a jolly yuletide (yo ho ho) to u and urs as well......CHEERS!.......

Again ladies and gents, it just goes to show ya it's never too late....even after almost 30 years.....

V
K3NRX
f/k/a KA3NRX

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:57:06 PM by K3NRX » Logged
G0KOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »

Hi Vince

Card went in the post today so its winging its way Pittsburgh bound   Smiley

Adrian

G0KOM, ZC4MK, VP8COI
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »

Adrian, thanks for providing a happy ending to this story!  :-)  73!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »

28 years later, the saga ends! Adrian, your card has arrived! Many many thanks all these decades later. I will be sending u my cards direct via ur Chelmsford address tonight. Best to ya and cheers!

Vince P
K3NRX
f/k/a KA3NRX
G0KOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »

28 years later, the saga ends! Adrian, your card has arrived! Many many thanks all these decades later. I will be sending u my cards direct via ur Chelmsford address tonight. Best to ya and cheers!

Vince P
K3NRX
f/k/a KA3NRX

Thats brilliant, happy ending Vince, that was just one of a handfull of the last original batch of cards I had printed in a little back street printer in Limassol back in 1989, bit basic but did the job.

73 Adrian

G0KOM, ZC4MK, VP8COI
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »

You're right, it's never too late. A few years back I replaced a lost QSL for a 10-meter long path QSO with 8Z4A, the long deleted Saudi Arabia-Iraq Neutral Zone. I moved and somehow lost my 8Z4A card for the QSO 29 years earlier. A quick Google search showed Mary Ann, WA3HUP, to be the QSL manager. I emailed her to see if she still had logs and blank cards. She replied within minutes and said yes to both. "Just send me an SASE," she said. I did and within days had another card for my QSO that took place 29 years earlier!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

Adrian:

Very sorry to hear this news:

https://dx-world.net/zc4mk-cyprus-sba/

I hope everything works out for you and your family....

V
K3NRX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: