The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCA RBB  (Read 7989 times)
AA2UK

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »

I just received a very old working RCA RBB receiver. I'm pretty sure I had an RBC as a very young ham. Once I get the receiver into position it will be interesting to see how it performs compared to my much newer Icom transceivers. 
Any comments on the RCA RBB? This one covers from .5KHz to 4MHz.
73, Bill
AA2UK
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »

I don't see how the RBB will be useful given that it doesn't cover the 630m or 2200m band.  shrug.

specs:
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/ecat/cat-0926.htm
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

As a historical / museum piece, the RBB is fine.

As a working receiver, forget it!  I think the RBB is a WW II vintage receiver.  They were designed when there weren't any 500 KW or 1 MW stations in service.  Selectivity and image rejection could leave a lot to be desired.

Try it for BCB & MW DX'ing or monitoring.  It could be interesting!

N9LCD     
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »

I agree with both posts above, the RBB does tune down below the AM broadcast band. I have an ICOM IC-7410 and a modified IC-735 that seems to Rx the 630 meter band just fine.
The working RBB is used as a conversation piece that tunes the AM radio band just fine.
Tnx, AA2UK
Bill
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »

I used and serviced the RBA/RBB/RBC in the USN and use a RBB and RBC on the ham bands these days on CW and AM. The TX range from a USN ATC (later renamed the ART-13) to several boatanchors.

The RBB/RBC pair have no image problems thru 20M here using resonant antennas that make for good out of band filters and I never heard of the Radiomen aboard ship complain either and they used various long wires over salt water. With 3 tunable Hi Q stages in the dual RF amps rejection is high, think HRO-50/50T-1, NC-183, old Super Pros, SX-28/28A, etc.

A big benefit over most SS gear is no phase noise, birdies and other PLL and audio distortions....just clean signals when the TX are also clean.

On Topic: I primarily use a TS-940 or TS-950 since both have a pair of sharp selectivity filters (250 and 400 Hz) in both IF's but Im looking for the SO-1 and SO-2 optional TCXO's for both so I can run WSPR.

Carl
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »

Carl, good to see you're still around been at least a decade since we used to work on the VHF & up bands!
I hope to work you on 630 soon enough.
I just finished up some mods on my IC-735 to use on 630 meters.
Back to the topic I saw write up by Jay W1VD on tapping into he IF of a 390A with an SDR.
I'm thinking I might experiment with the RBB doing the same. However I still like radios with knobs.
73, Bill
AA2UK
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »

As a historical / museum piece, the RBB is fine.

As a working receiver, forget it!  I think the RBB is a WW II vintage receiver.  They were designed when there weren't any 500 KW or 1 MW stations in service.  Selectivity and image rejection could leave a lot to be desired.

Try it for BCB & MW DX'ing or monitoring.  It could be interesting!

N9LCD     

Sorry to disappoint you but those receivers were still in use on many ships that didnt need the later dogs of the SRR-11 to 13 series well into the 60's when the flamethrowers from the USSR and elsewhere were most active. Not a trace of overload. The RBB/RBC make great BCB and SW DXers. Many modern riceboxes automatically toss in an attenuator for the BCB.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: