The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross Band Repeater function -- will it do this?  (Read 2361 times)
KF6KTM

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »

I am in the market for a dual band mobile to use as a base radio, and curious if the cross band repeater function applies to the following scenario:

Let's say, I am listening to a some sort of emergency services frequency on UHF, on my base station radio.

Via this cross band repeater function, can I have this UHF frequency re-transmit on a simplex VHF frequency, so I can hear it on my HT walking around the neighborhood?

Thanks!
Andrew
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »

If you are talking about a non-amateur UHF frequency, than this is illegal in FCC jurisdictions. You may only conditionally retransmit ham, space shuttle, and weather alerts.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KF6KTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:58:17 PM »

Got it.  Thanks.  Presumably this function will work as I described, if it were one of the few, allowed types of comms?

Appreciate it,
Andrew
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

Yes, cross band repeat works as you describe if your radio supports that mode.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

Not exactly. If the re-transmission is allowed, you must make provisions for the cross-band repeater to identify itself on the tranmit frequency. It must ID every 15 minutes during Tx per FCC.

The way it is allowed normally is that it is presumably repeating YOUR callsign when you TX through it (there is some legally grey area about it's uplink freq). If you are using it to retransmit someone else's signal that is not and usually won't be yours, then you must account for some method of making it squawk your call.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »

The ID period is every 10 minutes, not 15 minutes. Some xband radios support the ID function. An example of this is the TM-D710A. In other cases you will need to add the ID function or manually ID to meet the requirements.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:53 AM »

Kenwood TMV71A crossband repeats, is remotely controllable using DTMF tones and provides the necessary ID function.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »

In other cases you will need to add the ID function or manually ID to meet the requirements.

Like anybody does that...
KD4UPL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »

Yes, it will work. But, it is illegal to do it since your are re-transmiting non amateur radio traffic.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 01:48:21 AM »

As I noted earlier, there are certain non-amateur retransmissions that are specifically permitted.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: