The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to find replacement jacks for Radio Shack VOM 22-806  (Read 3139 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

I know this may be a long shot, but here goes.  I have a Radio Shack model #22-806 VOM that I am trying to find replacement test lead jacks for.  Both the positive and negative lead sockets are plastic and broken, so they don't hold the test leads in place.  The sockets just solder into place.  Anyone have any clues as to who might have replacement sockets for such a meter?  Thanks!

Mike KU4UV
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Exactly what are you looing for  , you say "Jack" then "Socket". Are you needing the VOM Female Sockets mounted on the meter itself or the test lead Jack on the ends of the test leads?? I probaly have both but need to know which one
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:00:16 AM »

Exactly what are you looing for  , you say "Jack" then "Socket". Are you needing the VOM Female Sockets mounted on the meter itself or the test lead Jack on the ends of the test leads?? I probaly have both but need to know which one

I need the female sockets on the VOM that the test leads plug into.  Sorry for the confusion.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »

Get a Brand! New! meter.

These meters today do nearly everything except make your morning coffee. And the prices are just
about the same as they were when Radio Shack was in town.

Toss out that old thing.

Kraus

KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »

Yeah, my brother works on old arcade games and has a Fluke meter.  I think I'll toss the thing and get a Fluke.  I work for Amazon.com, so I get a slight (and I do mean slight) employee discount.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »

they are either   "tip" jacks or  'banana' jacks.. tip  jacks are about 1/8 in diameter..
banana   jacks almost a 1/4inch size..   banana  ;pluigs are  4 sided springy looking..   tip  plugs are more klike pencil lead  with a small goove  near the end..
or just fix the plastic  with  JB weld..
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »

Fluke is the meters of meters.

Wait. A slight discount? According to the news, Amazon is da-ta-da for all, customer and employee.

I've never used Amazon. What have they got?

Kraus
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

From what you're going to spend on jacks and your time fixing it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112580388429
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »

Wait. A slight discount? According to the news, Amazon is da-ta-da for all, customer and employee.

Kraus

Cheesy Yeah, you want to know how well Amazon.com treats it's employees?  We get all of a 10% yearly employee discount on all purchases up to $100 worth of merchandise.  No free prime or anything like that.   We just got a .25 an hour raise, and that was after 4 years with no raise.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:51:47 PM by KU4UV » Logged
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »

From what you're going to spend on jacks and your time fixing it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112580388429

Shocked It would take me all of about 5 minutes to de-solder the bad jacks and then re-solder the new jacks into place.  I have to find replacement jacks first though.  JB Weld won't work, the plastic is too brittle and broken.  Yeah, I could s--t can the thing and just get a Fluke, but why toss something that has been working fine for the last 17 years if I can fix it for $1-$2?   They are the 1/4 inch type banana plug jacks similar to what the Fluke meters use, if that helps.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »

Kraus

You're probably in the minority if Amazon.com hasn't got your money at some point or another.  There isn't much that the company doesn't sell.  I work in an area of one of the fulfillment centers that prints and binds paperback books.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

I think it would be a simple matter  of simply replacing the panel (meter) jacks with banana jacks and put matching plugs on the ends of the wires.  For that matter it's a simple matter of replacing everything from the female jacks to the probes on about any meter!

I agree that any modern meter would be superior than the RS meter but I don't throw anything away that can be salvaged.  Plus an analog meter comes in handy quite often.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

AXW,

You're right. Some times I might not need a reading. Just a needle movement with say an
RF probe can be quite helpful.

Fix the meter!

Kraus
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »

Just look for another one on e-bay or your local pawn shop. Much easier to deal with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: