The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sen. Bill Nelson  (Read 3625 times)
KOP

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »

Federal Communications Communication chair Ajit Pai has repeatedly said he likes the idea of having FM capabilities activated in smartphones but his agency doesn’t have the authority to require it. Following Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, one Florida senator wants to do something about that.

During a tour of storm damage last week in Ft. Myers, Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) told reporters that he sees no reason to allow wireless companies to block the FM chip already in most handsets from being turned on. “There’s got to be a way that we can activate that chip,” he told WBBH-TV.

It was a similar conclusion that Pai had after he walked away from a tour of hurricane damage in South Florida just days earlier. “The FM chip is a valuable functionality, not just when times are good or when it helps you save battery life or reduces congestion on the wireless network, but especially when there’s an emergency,” Pai told WPBT-TV. “People want to tune in to the radio broadcast and get emergency information and this can be a valuable way of doing that.” Pai has been a supporter of the technology since its inception but he has told broadcasters that other than using his so-called bully pulpit there’s not much the FCC can do to require cellphone companies to wake up FM features.

More at http://www.insideradio.com/free/senator-seeks-apple-iphone-fm-chip-mandate/article_c0be354a-a1cb-11e7-9ad0-8f1cb9cc11a8.html

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:54:05 AM »

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/28/whose-fcc-is-this/
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »

Well, Bill... pass a law....

... oh, many phones already have the FM radio functional.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:52:02 AM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »

If radio stations can stay on the air during hurricanes, just build everything out of
radio station material.

Or just build planes out of the black box material.

Kraus

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

The whole premise for the FM radio debate being, the unlocking of cellphones would enable those in PR to stay connected.
Let's say the internal radio and antennas would cover the entire FM band (they don't) how would the people of PR get access to the Internet to download the AP or program to do enable this?
Assume the FCC push is for all future phones to have a working FM Rx.
I'm not sure if any effective internal antenna at that low a freq could be crammed into the case.
There have been enough issues w/ Smartphone's keeping a reliable WiFi connection...
AA2UK, Bill 
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:06:13 AM »

If ONLY there were some way to actually RECEIVE radio without a cellphone?  

And if this could be accomplished, what would one CALL such a RADIO RECEIVER ?

---

All kidding aside, THIS looks like a much better solution for information and a little bit of light and you do not need the electrical grid to use it.

These types of alt-power radios have been proven effective in remote areas for a long time.

http://www.earstoourworld.org/menu/

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:26:40 AM by W7ASA » Logged
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

The same Bill Nelson who shot down the radio parity act is going to approve a "cell phone" radio. I don't think so. The small portable hand cranked radios are great in almost all situations. Most also have a small solar panel.
If Bill want to pass anything, tell him to pass the parity act. After all its been almost another year of waiting for the senate to do anything on it.
Just my opinion
 KI4OYV
Art
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »

The same Bill Nelson who shot down the radio parity act is going to approve a "cell phone" radio. I don't think so. The small portable hand cranked radios are great in almost all situations. Most also have a small solar panel.
If Bill want to pass anything, tell him to pass the parity act. After all its been almost another year of waiting for the senate to do anything on it.
Just my opinion
 KI4OYV
Art
Yes the one in the same Senator Nelson.
73, Bill AA2UK
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »

Indeed! He asked for even more amendments in the Subcommittee so I asked my Senator (Wicker R-MS) to withdraw it from markup. Nelson is running for reelection next year...looks like Gov Scott will oppose Nelson. Florida hams could make this an election year issue (40,000+ licenses in FL?) to put pressure on Nelson or get Scott to so that Nelson has to commit to supporting the next ARPA.

Frank
K4FMH

Just my opinion
 KI4OYV
Art
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

Opposing Sen. Bill Nelson's reelection based solely on his refusal to forward bad legislation singularly obtuse.

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »

How about allowing cellphones to transmit to each other as well as receive, when cell towers are down?
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »

How about allowing cellphones to transmit to each other as well as receive, when cell towers are down?

You will have your answer if you calculate the range based on the FRIIS equation. Perhaps a mesh network as some apps attempt to do but not point to point.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »

This was already done in the late 1990's. Nextel had devices that transmitted in the low 900mHz.
It was going to be their answer to in-building coverage and for tactical communications. There were 2 issues with this approach the 1st being when the unit was configured for talk about it was off their network so it didn't get notification if anyone in the network  tried contacting the unit in Talk-About. The 2nd most obvious problem was extremely limited range.
It ended up being a dud for Motorola and Nextel.
Bill, AA2UK
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »

And if this could be accomplished, what would one CALL such a RADIO RECEIVER ?

A car, which is the only reason why FM radio still exists.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 04:17:03 PM »

Why don't we have a minimum IQ standard for senators?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: