The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex engineering?  (Read 6285 times)
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

My understanding is the issue revolves around how a router is set up to handle "jumbo packets", which is an individual problem

73  W9OY

K1ZH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »

My understanding is the issue revolves around how a router is set up to handle "jumbo packets", which is an individual problem

73  W9OY

If you want to understand better, read the whole flex-community thread.

First of all, he turned off jumbo frames. Second, the discussion about fragment-loss was in reference to data originating from the radio. AFAIK, the radio can't be configured to produce jumbo packets. Otherwise, that would mean it isn't an "individual problem". So the jumbo-packet excuse doesn't really work.

Let me state again, this thread has more to do with Hicks' final statement than it does the user issue.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:18:50 PM by K1ZH » Logged
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »

so from all of this, I gather that Flex has to balance its software development investments between its elaborate networking capabilities for remote operation, and actual radio digital signal processing algorithms.  The skillsets for these two areas are very different, but they both compete for the same financial commitments.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 05:25:35 AM »

Like Stan, i will always have my flex experience.

Ahhh yes, Flexradio Experiences are part of owning a Flexradio. Unfortunately for many it is BAD experiences. Flexradio has an Attitude that most customers (if truthful) would find distasteful. They are doing the same old same old crap they did 7 years ago.

I had intimate contact with Mr Hicks in my Flexradio ownership. Nothing in this thread is surprising to me.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »

I think the fact that Security is such a huge issue now days that users of remote access solutions should definitely take more proactive measures to secure their radios if they are to expose them to the internet.  Take for example a man in the middle attack.  The operator uses the radio remotely and a man in the middle records the packet stream, easily picks out the radio control codes and then later attacks the radio and tells is to transmit whatever the attacker sees fit endlessly until the operators radio burns up or the FCC comes to his door to see whats going on.  VPN as well as other security measures are highly advised if your going to expose your rig to the internet.

Since I had at one point a few of the top radios in the shack, I did some testing and experimenting and was surprised a bit by the results.  this little presentation might be of interest to some. 

Really if people are looking for seamless remote access via the internet for SSB one should expect flawless performance.  Those that have VOIP phone service know there can always be hiccups and while its vastly improved, you can always tell when your speaking with someone using Skype and or other similar services when they go garbled.  Expectations for this tech and for Flex's ability to deliver a flawless solution, or any other company for that matter should be greatly tempered.

Disclaimer ahead of the link, I am not a network guru.

https://sdrzone.com/index.php/latest-reviews/55-sdr-network-performance

Great conversation!
NI0Z

W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »

Article on fragmentation with tests.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/ip-fragmentation-is-broken/
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:22 PM »

Thanks, great article.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:24 AM »

I think the fact that Security is such a huge issue now days that users of remote access solutions should definitely take more proactive measures to secure their radios if they are to expose them to the internet.  Take for example a man in the middle attack.  The operator uses the radio remotely and a man in the middle records the packet stream, easily picks out the radio control codes and then later attacks the radio and tells is to transmit whatever the attacker sees fit endlessly until the operators radio burns up or the FCC comes to his door to see whats going on.  VPN as well as other security measures are highly advised if your going to expose your rig to the internet.

Since I had at one point a few of the top radios in the shack, I did some testing and experimenting and was surprised a bit by the results.  this little presentation might be of interest to some. 

Really if people are looking for seamless remote access via the internet for SSB one should expect flawless performance.  Those that have VOIP phone service know there can always be hiccups and while its vastly improved, you can always tell when your speaking with someone using Skype and or other similar services when they go garbled.  Expectations for this tech and for Flex's ability to deliver a flawless solution, or any other company for that matter should be greatly tempered.

Disclaimer ahead of the link, I am not a network guru.

https://sdrzone.com/index.php/latest-reviews/55-sdr-network-performance

Great conversation!
NI0Z

The control signals for SmartLink are encrypted (TLS) and authentication is done through Auth0 with things like MFA available for additional security. The actual radio data (panadapter tiles, audio etc) is via UDP. Having worked with the team on getting SmartLink ready and out the door I can say personally that security has always been at the top of their concerns. There is also physical verification before you pair a radio which might prove inconvenient for some but it is a sure fire way to know that you have physical access to the radio and aren't just stealing someone else's radio.

As far as seamless remoting goes - you are correct. The public Internet is absolutely not the place to expect perfection. However during the SmartLink development and testing many of us went to great lengths to simulate horrible conditions, including 4G/3G cellular in Midtown Manhattan, overseas operation Europe to stateside, as well as a variety of corporate networks. So this thing was well tested before release, and so far based on feedback the rollout has been mostly smooth.

Finally, the fragmentation problem is known and the team will probably address it in a future release but I can't say when or how they'll do it.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »

As for the fragmentation issue, it would be a great boost to customer confidence and sales if Flex could provide a at least a general time frame for a patch or solution.  Also, even using VPN along with encryption still doesn't make me very comfortable because of the Krack WiFi hack.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »

As for the fragmentation issue, it would be a great boost to customer confidence and sales if Flex could provide a at least a general time frame for a patch or solution.

I don't know about that, but when they are ready they are ready. I will say this that the feedback from the 2.0 release has been generally good.

Also, even using VPN along with encryption still doesn't make me very comfortable because of the Krack WiFi hack.

There are different layers of security. Even if someone is able to steal the contents of a wifi transmission with Krack, there's still TLS to deal with.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: