The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing Passwords Between Linux Machines  (Read 2431 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:34:20 AM »

Suppose I have three computers on a network, how can I configure them so that I can log on to any machine with the same password? Also, if I change my password on one machine how can this alteration be propagated to the other computers?

Peter DL8OV
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »

Suppose I have three computers on a network, how can I configure them so that I can log on to any machine with the same password? Also, if I change my password on one machine how can this alteration be propagated to the other computers?

The most common way of doing this today is through Samba. https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch09.html

In my opinion, unless you think it's a fun hobby to run Samba servers, it's not worth the effort until you have way more than three computers.

Yes this is a big step backwards from the old VAXCluster days :-).
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »

Take a look at OpenLDAP or NIS. Both will sync login creds across Linux machines.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »

Since you have to establish an account in each one in the first place, just use the same PW on each for your (same) login. Won’t this accomplish your stated goal?

Note that the PW for a user’s login account and the PW for Samba is not necessarily identical unless you setup Samba and give it the same PW as the user account.

On the PW change, it would be less cumbersome to just change them on each of the three machines rather than establish a credential propagation service. If you had a dozen machines, for instance, that would be different.

If I misunderstood your question, my apologies.

Frank
K4FMH

Peter DL8OV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: