The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey paint for the HT-37 cabinet  (Read 2442 times)
N6AF

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »

Can anyone suggest a source for grey paint for the HT-37 main cabinet surfaces?  There's spray paint for about $25 a can including shipping on Ebay but I was hoping there would be a close match with a standard over the counter paint type that I could pick up at a hobby store.  Any ideas?
The guts of my HT-37 are running well and the front panel is nearly mint but the main cabinet surfaces need sanding and repainting.  Thanks   73  Chuck N6AF
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:01:22 AM »

I realize that this isn't a democracy, but I vote that you pay the $25 and do it right.

73 de Steve KE4OH
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »

Hello, In this day and age if you remove a small sample of the paint you want to duplicate. The sample can be brought to a local paint store or large hardware store (Home Depot, Low's) they will computer match to an exact color of the sample you bring in. I bought a small airbrush and compressor from Harbor freight (very cheep) and use this system to refinish my boat anchors. The match you get from the computer is just about perfect.

Hope this helps.

73s

K2OWK 
N6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »

Thanks for both suggestions!  What the heck - I'll carry the top half of the cabinet into the store!
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

I''ve used the local Sherwin-Williams store for years.    They do a good job matching and I just spray with my normal spray gun.

I don't know if they can make rattle cans or not, but if you don't have spray facilities...

Mike
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:26:27 AM »

Rust-o-Leum Battleship Grey is on my Hammar's.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »

I love it ... the good enough mentality. Geez.

When you don't remove all the paint with a good chemical stripper, then treat the metal before painting to inhibit corrosion, and you don't use a proper primer for the metal type, you can bet your "good enough" paint job will be all over your station table in little chips and flakes, and the radio looks like it did before you painted. And that in about 2 years.

But you know ... good enough? ... have at it.

I only use paint made by PTI. It's same company that made the paints for Hallicrafters, (and Hammarlund, later Collins, Gates and ....). And that guy on eBay ... he buys from them too. There's a reason it costs so much, (1) it matches perfectly (2) it's real paint made for metal cabinets and metal applications, with the correct fixatives for metal under a temperature load.

Oh yeah ... when you go to get your car repainted, make sure you tell the guy to use Rustoleum so you can save a few bucks why don'tcha. LOL!

I'm just having fun with ya'll ... but seriously, spend the money or your gonna be very unhappy with the results. However, if you go to Sherwin ... good luck with the wood and porous surface paints.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:34:32 AM by W2WDX » Logged

WB0SNF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

Hi.  My local true value store sells a can of propellant and a small jar that screws into it.  Put your paint----properly thinned if necessary--- into jar and spray away.  They also have a matching computer and their x-rusto metal paint---which has special thinner---- is very good.  Dries slow though, and is shiny, but is very durable.  Good luck
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

I realize that this isn't a democracy, but I vote that you pay the $25 and do it right.

Using a rattle can does not qualify as "doing it right"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: