The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG AT-897 Plus Auto Tuner  (Read 2323 times)
KD7JVO

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »

I was going to pick one of these up for my Yaesu ft-897 - what would you recommend for a decent antenna that can be deployed in an attic or non-obtrusively outside on a house with an HOA? (something that I could tune across the HF spectrum of  1.8 to 54 MHz. I have a separate small dual band antenna that seems to be working decently for 2m/70cm

thanks
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

I have to assume you don't have an attic that is 268 feet long so a full size 160 meter dipole won't fit.
Since you want 160 meters as well as all of the other bands, here is a very efficient way to accomplish this task.
Purchase an 82 foot long 160 dipole from Hy Power Antenna Company and feed it with parallel feeders.
You will also need a 4 to 1 Current Balun on the shack end of the transmission line. Couple that to the tuner and you should be able to work all bands....efficiently !

Want better performance? Move the antenna outside instead of erecting it in the attic. Next step is use a longer version of the shortened 160 meter dipole. Try using
a 131 or 150 foot long shortened 160 meter dipole fed with parallel feeders.

If you think you are going to erect a simple coaxial fed dipole in a limited space and cover all of the HF bands......it won't happen. Your tuner may couple it to the
radio but it will be very very inefficient! The losses will be very high and the ERP will be very low.
Barry
KD7JVO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »

Awesome thanks!
KD7JVO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »

Do you have any thoughts on the chameleon antennas - they are designed for mobile access but they seem to have some prepackaged antennas that seem not to unwieldy

http://chameleonantenna.com/

like the CHA HYBRID-MICRO?
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »

like the CHA HYBRID-MICRO?

That will cost you $210 plus shipping for 60 ft. of wire and a small transformer/matching network.

An endfed antenna which might do OK on 40M, less well on 80M and on 160M where it's
very very short and likely very very close to the ground in terms of wavelength, I would not expect much at all.

With such an antenna, performance (on bands where it is not just a suggestion of a useful length)
depends on how you install it: height, amount vertical and amount horizontal, etc.

You can build something of equal potential effectivenss for about $15 if you have to buy some new wire
and a ferrite or two to build a feedpoint transformer.

A little research here on endfed antennas (hint use the "search" function and "endfed antenna design") will
get you thinking.

You do get a nice shiny metal housing with a coax connector on it for your $210 plus shipping. And a nice plastic
spool for winding up the wire. Keep in mind however its power rating: 100W SSB and 50W CW. That means that
whatever is inside that nice shiny metal housing is not electrically very robust.

I like the suggestion regarding the Hypower loaded dipoles. You can just buy the loading coils for $25 a pair and
add your $15 for wire and ferrites. A potentially effective antenna for $40 plus shipping.

The dipole antenna. It works. It's not a tiny magical thing.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »

I was going to pick one of these up for my Yaesu ft-897 - what would you recommend for a decent antenna that can be deployed in an attic or non-obtrusively outside on a house with an HOA? (something that I could tune across the HF spectrum of  1.8 to 54 MHz. I have a separate small dual band antenna that seems to be working decently for 2m/70cm

thanks

For your use case you will need REMOTE tuner, which can be installed at antenna feed point. In all other cases you will have huge losses and only few bands will be really usable.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

For your use case you will need REMOTE tuner, which can be installed at antenna feed point. In all other cases you will have huge losses and only few bands will be really usable.

And using attic of single story building will not allow you install efficient HF antenna of any kind. Since you do not have trees of any kind around, try to negotiate with HOA ground plane or vertical installed on your back yard.
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM »

I've got mine running to a BD 9:1 unun with about 53ft of black wire. The wire is best run as a sloper, and it tunes like a dream. Best to put a choke in place before you get into your shack on the coax run though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: