The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio choices  (Read 8254 times)
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »

The 90/10 rule is valid, no matter what the radio it won't work without good antlers.  That being said, if I had the wherewithal to spring for a contemporary radio straight out of the chute I would encourage it.  There's something to be said for growing into a piece of equipment rather than out of it.  It's a lie to say there's such a thing as too much radio.  Yeah, if budget dictates then you get what you can afford, but if you can afford some blinkenlights go for it.  Sure beats struggling with the POS equipment I had starting out as a kid.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks Mark. I'm not on a tight budget within reason. $1,500-$2,000 for a radio is good .
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

At that price point look at an IC 7300 or TS 590 SG
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »

ICOM 7300 and antenna, K4KIO Hex Beam, and Amplifier, SB 220 (HeathKit)...TV Mast, (45), rotor obtain Radio Shack (TV Rotor)..

Digital, HRD / DM780...

That would be perfect...

Best

Tom, NN2X, 73's
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:49 AM »

What are your interests?
Do you plan on desktop, mobile, and/or portable use?
Interested in VHF/UHF FM, HF SSB, HF CW, data modes?
How much room for antennas?
The FT991 is a good rig, but how you plan on using it is more important than just features.  It is a menu driven rig.

-Mike.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »

What are your interests?
Do you plan on desktop, mobile, and/or portable use?
Interested in VHF/UHF FM, HF SSB, HF CW, data modes?
How much room for antennas?
The FT991 is a good rig, but how you plan on using it is more important than just features.  It is a menu driven rig.

-Mike.

Hi Mike. I'm new into Ham and still working on the test. Desktop for sure,also VHF/UHF FM, HF SSB modes sounds good to me. I'm learning more and more everyday. This is really fun and interesting.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »

I can't speak to the TS 590 SG as I have never used one, but I can vouch for the Ic 7300.  This old Ham of many decades is very impressed with this $1249 radio. I have had one now for about 6 months, and while I have an Icom 756pro3 (about 10 years old) and a new FT891  I have had for about a month, the IC7300 will beat them both.  And I paid $2700 for the 756pro3 back in the day.  Radios are getting better and cheaper as time goes by. At least in my opinion.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »

I can't speak to the TS 590 SG as I have never used one, but I can vouch for the Ic 7300.  This old Ham of many decades is very impressed with this $1249 radio. I have had one now for about 6 months, and while I have an Icom 756pro3 (about 10 years old) and a new FT891  I have had for about a month, the IC7300 will beat them both.  And I paid $2700 for the 756pro3 back in the day.  Radios are getting better and cheaper as time goes by. At least in my opinion.

Thanks for the info. The more I see and read on the 7300 the more I like. I was leaning toward the Yaesu FT-991A but the 7300 is bigger and looks easier to use.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »

I'm new into Ham and still working on the test.[ /quote]

As a new comer to the hobby, just a friendly hint. You are new to ham radio, not new to Ham.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »

I'm new into Ham and still working on the test.[ /quote]

As a new comer to the hobby, just a friendly hint. You are new to ham radio, not new to Ham.

- Glenn W9IQ

HAHA!!!
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:58 PM »

Thanks for the info. The more I see and read on the 7300 the more I like. I was leaning toward the Yaesu FT-991A but the 7300 is bigger and looks easier to use.

The 7300 is a better rig. If you want uhf/vhf, get a rig dedicated to that only. That would be best of both worlds vs the compromises of a “do everything” rig.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

I totally agree about the 7300 I think

The 7300 is a better rig. If you want uhf/vhf, get a rig dedicated to that only. That would be best of both worlds vs the compromises of a “do everything” rig.
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »

This is not really a word of advice, just offering my experience.

I have an Icom 7200 and I like it very much. It is affordable, easy to operate, and covers all my HF needs.  It's price point left me enough room to get an LDG IT-100 tuner, a few different end-fed wire antennas, coax, baluns/ununs etc.  . It has an internal sound card which is extremely valuable component.  I am not missing the fact that it does not have an internal tuner. I recently set up my LDG tuner for remote operation, and don't need a tuner in the radio case itself. The 7300 might not have been on the market yet, but I would have been very tempted to get it instead. Maybe someday I will.

I recently got a Yaesu FT 7900R dual band mobile radio for VHF/UHF.  I use it like a base unit in my shack, not yet in the car.  Its great for reaching several different repeaters in the area for voice operations and for 1200 baud packet work (Winlink email and APRS for example).  I can listen to it and my HF rig at the same time.

Unfortunately, I did made other radio purchases prior to getting the ICOM, and probably could have done without them... These rigs are simple, compact, and borderline "QRP".  I will say they are fun to operate on a whim here and there, but were a bit frustrating for a first time operator... (non-digital VFO, no capability for digital modes, etc etc).

73 and good luck
Jeff KG5AHC

KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »

This is not really a word of advice, just offering my experience.

I have an Icom 7200 and I like it very much. It is affordable, easy to operate, and covers all my HF needs.  It's price point left me enough room to get an LDG IT-100 tuner, a few different end-fed wire antennas, coax, baluns/ununs etc.  . It has an internal sound card which is extremely valuable component.  I am not missing the fact that it does not have an internal tuner. I recently set up my LDG tuner for remote operation, and don't need a tuner in the radio case itself. The 7300 might not have been on the market yet, but I would have been very tempted to get it instead. Maybe someday I will.

I recently got a Yaesu FT 7900R dual band mobile radio for VHF/UHF.  I use it like a base unit in my shack, not yet in the car.  Its great for reaching several different repeaters in the area for voice operations and for 1200 baud packet work (Winlink email and APRS for example).  I can listen to it and my HF rig at the same time.

Unfortunately, I did made other radio purchases prior to getting the ICOM, and probably could have done without them... These rigs are simple, compact, and borderline "QRP".  I will say they are fun to operate on a whim here and there, but were a bit frustrating for a first time operator... (non-digital VFO, no capability for digital modes, etc etc).

73 and good luck
Jeff KG5AHC

[/quote\

Thanks Jeff
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 02:35:05 AM »

I would choose a radio that has an excellent modulation. I have never owned these radios but I heard them on air. TS590SG, IC7300, FT891 and FT991A (this once properly set) have great TX and don't cost that much. If you want a VU all mode of course the 991 is for you.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »

Based on 50++ years as a ham, no rig at any cost is no better than your antenna. Save some $$$ for a GOOD antenna.

Dick AD4U
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: