The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you ask for a price?  (Read 1526 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »

I have an Icom 718.  The receive just conked out on it.  It emitted a strange smell right before the receive went out.  In fact, I didn't even know the receive went out until I went up to AM and couldn't pick up a local station.  Transmit is fine. 

I hear a "hiss" or noise level in the receive.  The radio station one mile down the road you can barely hear, but otherwise.... I consider the receive DOA.  I opened it up for a quick look and found one of those autumn stink bugs had entered into the unit and fried itself.  Could be the bug shorted something out.  I keep meticulous looking equipment, so bugs are NOT the norm here.  But we have an infestation of these stink bugs this autumn because of the unusually warm fall.

I really don't want to spend time and money for repair of this rig.  I have several other rigs and just don't want the hassle.  I have NEVER sold a radio that isn't working properly, so I have no idea on what to ask price-wise.

Any input on what YOU would ask for a nice looking, transmit working, fairly new Icom IC-718 would be appreciated.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

I have an Icom 718.  The receive just conked out on it.  It emitted a strange smell right before the receive went out.  In fact, I didn't even know the receive went out until I went up to AM and couldn't pick up a local station.  Transmit is fine. 

I hear a "hiss" or noise level in the receive.  The radio station one mile down the road you can barely hear, but otherwise.... I consider the receive DOA.  I opened it up for a quick look and found one of those autumn stink bugs had entered into the unit and fried itself.  Could be the bug shorted something out.  I keep meticulous looking equipment, so bugs are NOT the norm here.  But we have an infestation of these stink bugs this autumn because of the unusually warm fall.

I really don't want to spend time and money for repair of this rig.  I have several other rigs and just don't want the hassle.  I have NEVER sold a radio that isn't working properly, so I have no idea on what to ask price-wise.

Any input on what YOU would ask for a nice looking, transmit working, fairly new Icom IC-718 would be appreciated.

Most "tech specials" of a radio in that class go for about $200 or less.  Try for $200 and go down if need be.  Or fix it and get a bunch more.  But a "tech special" is a "pig in the poke", and the buyer takes a big (bug?) risk.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »

Welcome to the club.

Every ham eventually has a radio that just doesn't work right. I have a TS-450S sitting on the side.

Works well on ever band except 20 meters. I don't worry about it.

I'm sure someone would want it for the just the amplifier alone. Folks get crazy ideas to get
a bunch of amplifiers from non-operational radios and combine them and make a Frankenstein
amplifier.

To answer your first question, half the radio works, half the price of a new one. Start there.

Kraus
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »

I second the $200.00 if cosmetically it is in good condition.
Less if the physical condition isn't so good.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

I was thinking of starting at around $275, which includes USPS Priority shipping and PayPal fees.  So we are very close....

(If I figure its worth as $200 and it cost $200 for repair, I'm really not ahead at $400....)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »

Well, things are worth what someone will pay for them.  If you can get $275, good for you.  But I doubt you will be able to. But give it a try.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

Shipping is the issue.  I am nowhere near a UPS center.  So I have to rely on USPS.  I can ask $275 for west of the MS River and $250 east of the MS River.... which would pay for radio, shipping and paypal fees.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »

I say fix the receiver. It's less problem than deciding how much, how should you ship it.

Besides all hams can't wait to get inside a radio and act like they know what they're doing.

Kraus

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »

Shipping is the issue.  I am nowhere near a UPS center.  So I have to rely on USPS. 

I'd never ship anything valuable via USPS; their tracking system is terrible and trying to collect insurance after a loss can easily take six months (my experiences -- multiple times).

You have a real UPS depot 12 miles away. Smiley     I'd certainly use it if at all possible.

UPS Customer Center JACKSON
2009 DUNIGAN DR, JACKSON, MI, 49203-4706
Tel: 8007425877

Closes at 6:00 PM

Latest drop off:
    Ground: 6:00 PM | Air: 6:00 PM

K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »

On eBay you can select "Sold Listings" and see what people have actually paid in the past. The two most recent "not working, parts only" IC-718 sold for $260 and $366.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »

Thanks one and all.  I was able to sell it for $265 today.

I look at it this way; $265 plus the cost of shipping to and fro plus the price of parts and labor.... and I could buy a new one for the price of a repair job.  So I sold it to a tinkerer.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »

Thanks one and all.  I was able to sell it for $265 today.

I look at it this way; $265 plus the cost of shipping to and fro plus the price of parts and labor.... and I could buy a new one for the price of a repair job.  So I sold it to a tinkerer.

I would say you did VERY well. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: