The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage QSL Cards  (Read 2749 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »

A friend who is a former ham is preparing to move out of his house. In the downsizing process, he has given me his QSL card collection. There are about 50 cards, all dated in 1965 or 1966, when my friend was 12 to 13 years old.

He has jokingly asked me whether I think they are worth any money, and I thought probably not! They are of some interest to me, in particular because of the equipment listed by the hams: a large number of Drake 2B receivers and DX-60 transmitters!

Of the 50 cards, they are all U.S. apart from two DX: one from the Panama Canal Zone and one from Brazil. (Edited to add: I just found a third DX card, from Germany.)

For what it's worth, my friend is an "atomic kid" -- his parents worked at the huge government plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, and his QTH was in the town of Oak Ridge. His own QSL card had the "atom" logo on the front (the intersecting elliptical lines).

Was I right to tell my friend that these cards have no monetary value? I said I would check for him. I do see that people try to sell old QSL cards on eBay for $6 each.....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:33:56 PM by KB1WSY » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »

I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them.  Maybe a bulk lot of 50 would sell, I don't know.  But there IS a sort of a museum for QSL cards, I've seen it online, and I believe they'd be DELIGHTED to get the cards as a gift--they'll be scanned and appear online in the museum's files.   Worth a look!
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »

I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them. 

There's a market for just about everything on eBay.

Just search "QSL cards" and look at the "sold" listings.

If you want to put in the time and effort to scan/photograph and list them, the cards may bring in a few dollars.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 02:00:20 AM »

I think that there is QSL card museum in Austria who could be interested in them, but I don't think they would pay.
W9RAC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them.  Maybe a bulk lot of 50 would sell, I don't know.  But there IS a sort of a museum for QSL cards, I've seen it online, and I believe they'd be DELIGHTED to get the cards as a gift--they'll be scanned and appear online in the museum's files.   Worth a look!

I bought a couple to use as a guide.   I'm going to reproduce some using a letterpress...I hope. I'm no printer and I know it's super labor intensive so should be fun.  Short runs but very unique and authentic  is my goal!
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »

Buying someone else's QSL card is like buying someone else's birthday card.

Unless it's addressed to me, it means nothing.

Kraus
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »

I am looking for QSL's from my Uncle Lenny K2AQM (SK).  Do you have?
thanks
Joe W3TTT
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

My vintage QSL card story..

I have a Collins 75A-1 receiver and I pulled the chassis out of the cabinet to check some components. On the underside of the chassis I noticed some dates, notes and callsigns... going back to the 1950's. I googled some of the calls and one came back with some info, HH3DL. Sure enough in some of the google returns was a link to a QSL image:

http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/Haiti/hh3dl.htm

Take a look at the rig used in the qso..

It matched up with some of the dates written on the underside of my 75A-1. I sent an email to the owner of the site/images just to let him know about my interesting find. He wrote back stating he's dropping the card in the mail to me! I thanked him and now the card stays near my 75A-1!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »

25 years ago I was at a coin show and there was a vendor who also sold vintage post cards. He had a few ancient QSLs including an incredibly rare Chinese QSL from about 1937, still in pristine condition in an envelope bearing a mint but cancelled 1937 Chinese stamp. No doubt 100,000 times rarer than beat up American cards from the 1960s. 

So what was he asking for that gem card? $125, as I recall. I considered paying up to $50, but passed.

"Buying someone else's QSL card is like buying someone else's birthday card."

Nicely put. Worthless.

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »

Unless it's addressed to me, it means nothing.
Kraus

Kraus
Not really.  I could think of some nice cards.  Like from Arthur Godfrey, or perhaps King Hussein of Jordan.  If George W. Bush was a ham, his call would be W1.  (get it?)  I would like that card too.  Wink
73, Joe
KA9WRZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 05:33:22 AM »

I am surprised that your friend would part with them.  Should be worth more to him or his family than to anyone else, I'd think.

My dad was a ham (W9NIU), first licensed around 1933, give or take.  Have a ton of his old QSL cards, including one from the Chicago World's Fair, approx 1933 as well, IIRC.  Often thought about going thru some of them and seeing who may still be around and see if they would like them for nostalgia.

It is amazing how many of these old cards were actually drawn and colored by the ham.  Very unique!

Not certain, but he may have received a card from Barry Goldwater in the early '60's. 
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »

Keep them, the memories are worth something. I have my XYL's uncle's (SK) cards an some logs for 9ARW, W9ARW,W0ARW from late 1920s to mid 60s her dad WB6AKA (SK) had them. They were neighbors in Marion IA, married sisters. W0ARW has been reissued as a vanity call to a gentleman in MN. I sent him a ARW card along with a couple of other vintage contacts. Jiggs's son has no interest in the cards or logs so I'll just keep them.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »

I am surprised that your friend would part with them.

He has gone completely "paperless" and digitized everything. Once he has done that, he tosses the paper originals.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »

Not really.  I could think of some nice cards.  Like from Arthur Godfrey, or perhaps King Hussein of Jordan.

I have both. JY1 and K4LIB. Plus King Juan Carlos of Spain, EA0JC, Barry Goldwater K7UGA and a few others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: