The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible mic problem.  (Read 1085 times)
WV8RKO

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »

I was gifted a Behringer XM8500 and a Heil 4 pin XLR cable for my Kenwood TS-440. Since the mic is 3 pin and the cable is 4 pin, I bought a 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR adapter. Well, something is not working, when I use the PTT switch, I get no audio going to the radio but the transmit light lights up and no meter movement. Since I am on a limited budget, would it be better to get a 3 pin Heil cable or a 4 pin microphone like the Heil HM-12?
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:15:49 AM »

ts440 schematic..ohm meter..  determine the wireing thru the mic to plug sequence.
you need 3 wires minimum..    ptt, audio,, and  common for both..  4 wires  you may have two commons.
mic audio and common,,    ptt  and common..schematic will tell you what the radio needs...You could buy a dozen adapters and none may  work unless you determne the wireing..
Also wire mic direct to the radio to test..forget that other audio nonsense box untill you have the mic and radio working..
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »

Did they tell you the microphone doesn't work.

Maybe that's why they gifted it.

Put it to a volmeter. Speak into the microphone. Look for a voltage reading.

Kraus
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »

The Behringer XM8500 is a dynamic microphone. Your radio needs an amplifier mic. element to work with the microphone bias circuit. You can use a Tube Pre balanced microphone amplifier ($187) or replace the element with a $3 mic, element from Digikey,
DG1YPG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »

.... Your radio needs an amplifier mic. element to work with the microphone bias circuit. You can use a Tube Pre balanced microphone amplifier ...

The TS-440 was designed for use with dynamic microphones with an impedance range of 500Ω to 50kΩ.

The actual impedance of the mic input is about 10kΩ.

The 150Ω of the Beringer is a litte on the low side, however, correctly wired it shoud work without problems (and w/o pre-amp) on your Kenwood.

- 73+55 -
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »

How old is the TS-440?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: