The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency calibration of IC-7300 using WSJT-x  (Read 3530 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 04:20:36 AM »

Has anyone else discovered the simplicity and pure joy of calibrating your IC-7300 using WSJT-x.  It is so simple and quick.  Just tune to the highest WWV frequency you can receive using the calibration function of WSJT-x, and watch the difference frequency (mine was off about 3hz) and then go into the set, function, ref menu and adjust your rigs calibration either up or down, and watch the difference on WSJt-x until you get within 1hz or fractional part thereof.  

I added the 25Mhz WWV to the frequency list as I should be able to hear it at times.  
Frequency calibration is very important when working Meteor scatter using MSK144
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:25:56 AM by K0UA » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »

Judging by the nearly 100 views, and zero comments, that not too many people are interested in making sure their 7300 is calibrated?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »

I don't have a 7300 but I think that is awesome.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »

I don't have a 7300 but I think that is awesome.

Thanks for the comment.  After putting many rigs on frequency in my time, and having to find an appropriate "diddlestick", and actually find the adjustment cap or coil, and messing with it to get them on, yes it was refreshing to just go into a menu and make the adjustment in a couple of seconds.  And you can "touch it up" anytime as the rig ages.  What an improvement over my Icom 756pro3
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »

The Flexradio models like the Flex-5000, 3000 and 1500 have the same function built into PowerSDR. It is pretty cool to see my 5000 calibrate itself to WWV. One click and it syncs.

Zack N8FNR
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

I noticed the feature in WJST X, I have a Flex 5000 and it's cool to see the difference after calibration in WJST-x even though it's auto.  You can go in and manually adjust the DSS I guess. 
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »

I think radios have come a long way, and the newer SDR radios, offer a lot of refinements for less money in today's dollars than in the past.  My 756pro3 is not all that hard to get on frequency, but it does take an adjustment tool, some time and a good ear to listen to the beat note to get it done.  I just thought it was so cool to do it on an SDR radio in a couple of seconds and your done, and you can check it any time you want.
VK4XJB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »

Judging by the nearly 100 views, and zero comments, that not too many people are interested in making sure their 7300 is calibrated?

Interested in having my 7300 calibrated just not with wsjt-x when already done with fldigi or baudline (depending which program I have open at the time). My usual trick is set the dial 1kHz away from the highest wwv(h) I can hear with the appropriate side band set. This gives me a 1kHz tone from the wwv carrier and use baudline to measure the frequency of the tone or use the frequency analyse tool in fldigi to give me the current frequency of the signal 1kHz into the waterfall. Either way then adjust the ref menu as needed. I already have both fldigi and baudline calibrated for the sample rate of sound card. For once the answer was 42(ppm).

Compared to some other radios I have adjusted I do like how easy it is with the icom.
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »

Has anyone else discovered the simplicity and pure joy of calibrating your IC-7300 using WSJT-x.  It is so simple and quick.  Just tune to the highest WWV frequency you can receive using the calibration function of WSJT-x, and watch the difference frequency (mine was off about 3hz) and then go into the set, function, ref menu and adjust your rigs calibration either up or down, and watch the difference on WSJt-x until you get within 1hz or fractional part thereof.  

I added the 25Mhz WWV to the frequency list as I should be able to hear it at times.  
Frequency calibration is very important when working Meteor scatter using MSK144

Thanks for posting this.  I tried to follow the process you described and also read the manual on the calibration process but I'm kind of confused (no big surprise) Smiley

I realize you need to first set the Calibration Marker to "On" - which I did.  And I had the RIT off.

When I turn on the calibration markers I can see them diverge or converge on the panadapter but per the instructions when I go into Menu/Set/Function/Ref Adjust to adjust the 0-100 scale with the Multi knob I can't see the panadatper (and therefore the calibration markers).  When I use the Multi knob (after setting WWV to 14.999) and try to do a calibration by ear I don't hear any changes.  I also tried with WWV set to 15.000 but no luck with that either.

When I tried using the calibration markers (when viewing the panadapter) I expected that the Multi knob would move the calibration markers, but it doesn't.  The calibration markers simply track with the overall VFO knob (so that at 14.999 they are pretty far apart (1kHz) and at 15.000.000 they perfectly overlap.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, or maybe my frequency calibration is spot on.  Any further insight on how to do the frequency calibration would be great to hear.  Thanks
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »

The WSJT-X manual, for this procedure, is more than a little light.  :-(

An excellent 5 page doc file has been written by Hasan, call N0AN,
who shared it on the WSJT-X developer email list.

It got me going great, and now having fun with this process!

Hasan's email is good on QRZ.com call sign lookup   N0AN

Cheers,

Neal
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  I tried to follow the process you described and also read the manual on the calibration process but I'm kind of confused (no big surprise) Smiley

I realize you need to first set the Calibration Marker to "On" - which I did.  And I had the RIT off.

When I turn on the calibration markers I can see them diverge or converge on the panadapter but per the instructions when I go into Menu/Set/Function/Ref Adjust to adjust the 0-100 scale with the Multi knob I can't see the panadatper (and therefore the calibration markers).  When I use the Multi knob (after setting WWV to 14.999) and try to do a calibration by ear I don't hear any changes.  I also tried with WWV set to 15.000 but no luck with that either.

When I tried using the calibration markers (when viewing the panadapter) I expected that the Multi knob would move the calibration markers, but it doesn't.  The calibration markers simply track with the overall VFO knob (so that at 14.999 they are pretty far apart (1kHz) and at 15.000.000 they perfectly overlap.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, or maybe my frequency calibration is spot on.  Any further insight on how to do the frequency calibration would be great to hear.  Thanks

I didn't do any of the things you mentioned.none.

In wsjt. Just go to callibrate mode an select in the band box the highest WWV or other freq standard you can hear. Like 15 or 20 mhz. The wsjt will control your rig.  Don't turn on any calibrators or anything like that.  Look at wsjt, look at the difference frequency.   Go into the reference menu and use the + and - keys to adjust the radio so the difference frequency is as close to 0 as you can get it on wsjt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: