The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yeasu 891  (Read 9114 times)
KB4OIF

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:04 AM »

Just  purchased a Yeasu 891.  would like suggestions on small HF antennas for the RAV 4.  No holes will be done.  Only has 2500 miles on it.  Looking at the baby tarheel and the opek line so far.  Trying to get something that does not require a lot of fuss and bother.  Don't want to break the bank but want a good small antenna.  Need suggestions of mounting areas on the SUV.  mag mount on the roof or on the liftgate.  If I want to use it in the house, what auto tuner do you suggest?   At present I have a 6-80 OCF dipole and will be putting up a 31 ft vertical soon as Nate get done drowning us here in NW Florida.

KB4OIF
John
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:59:13 AM »

Just  purchased a Yeasu 891.  would like suggestions on small HF antennas for the RAV 4.  No holes will be done.  Only has 2500 miles on it.  Looking at the baby tarheel and the opek line so far.  Trying to get something that does not require a lot of fuss and bother.  Don't want to break the bank but want a good small antenna.  Need suggestions of mounting areas on the SUV.  mag mount on the roof or on the liftgate.  If I want to use it in the house, what auto tuner do you suggest?   At present I have a 6-80 OCF dipole and will be putting up a 31 ft vertical soon as Nate get done drowning us here in NW Florida.

KB4OIF
John

I will be watching this thread with interest.  I have the same rig, and possible ambitions for mobile with it.  I use it portable now.  I use the LDG z11proII for a tuner portable. The tuner runs off of internal batteries (last about a year). and seems to work very well with the 891.  There is no communication cable, I just feed it a low power AM signal (5 watts), and it either tunes in a fraction of a second (if I have been on that antenna and frequency before) or a maximum of about 5 seconds if it has not.  Then switch to SSB or CW at full power.  It all takes less time that to talk about it.  The tuner will get you to 1 to 1 on all bands on that OCFD. I have one of those too.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »

On my 2010 RAV 4, I put a 3/8" mount on the luggage rack using a CB antenna "mirror mount" and some longer-than-normal screws. It has held a CB whip on several cross-country trips without problem, so far. For a large HF antenna, I would want something firmly mounted to the car or luggage rack.

I've also tried these without success:

A mag mount with an HF antenna won't stay on for long at highway speeds and needs to be grounded to the car body to prevent the coax from acting like an antenna. OK for operating while parked, if you ground it with a separate ground wire.

Trunk lip mounts work OK for lighter antennas, but after seeing the body after using one with a VHF antenna, I'd be worried about body damage from driving around with a heavier antenna.

I've seen some hams mount an SO239 mount to their car to use as in mounting an antenna or as a coax feed for a dipole when sitting still.  Same problems as with other trunk-lip mounts, but the ease of swapping antennas out reduces the likelihood of having them.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 02:56:03 AM »

From what I have read and researched, the little tarheel II would work in my case.   Mount it so the whip is above the roof and the fat part is out of the wind below the level of the roof.  I don't drive fast, 60-65 at most on the expressways.  I think I will go with the K400 mount, Heavy duty, as I don't want to damage the new SUV.  I did bite the bullet on the tuner.  I got the FC-50.  Very pricey, but after reading a lot about what the others do and don't do, I opted to get the FC-50.  Will use the 891 at the house so I can get use to it before my trip in Nov. 

KB4OIF
John 
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:02 AM »

I have been watching this thread, the question that comes to my mind is,............... WHY do you need a ""tuner" when using a tunable antenna?
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »

I have been watching this thread, the question that comes to my mind is,............... WHY do you need a ""tuner" when using a tunable antenna?

I think he wanted a tuner for use at home.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:39:28 AM »

ND6M.  You bring up a point that I am confused about.  I admit I have not read the manual very much on the radio.  I am working on that.  OK.  With the little tarheel 2 on the SUV.  Can I check the SWR at the radio and use the controller to move the antenna up or down to adjust the SWR.  There is a spot on the display that shows the SWR. So with that said , I would not need a tuner in the SUV.  I hope I have not confused you, but I think I am a little confused.  Age here is 71, so my brain cells have been overloaded and overused for a long time.  Sometimes it leaks out.  Hi HI. 
K0UA.  Yes.  I will need the tuner to use on the base.  I canceled the order for the FC-50 as it will only tune 3 to 1 and cost twice as much.  I went with the Z100Plus.  I finally was able to talk to the folks at LDG and got the correct info.

John
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »

I canceled the order for the FC-50 as it will only tune 3 to 1 and cost twice as much.  I went with the Z100Plus.  I finally was able to talk to the folks at LDG and got the correct info.

A good move in my opinion..
K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »

ATAS 120 will work very well with the 891 and will mount on a lip mount.   I have no problems with mine in over 2 years on the car.   Sig reports are always good.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:48:44 AM »

ND6M.  You bring up a point that I am confused about...with the little tarheel 2 on the SUV.  Can I check the SWR at the radio and use the controller to move the antenna up or down to adjust the SWR.  There is a spot on the display that shows the SWR. So with that said , I would not need a tuner in the SUV...
John

That is correct John, just extend/retract the Tarhill  and then monitor the SWR reading on the radio.

In fact, you can get VERY close to the correct setting by just listening to the signal change as you adjust the antenna.

Also , use a low power setting and do not tune the antenna while Txing, the coils and the fingers in the Tarheel may arc.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »

ATAS 120 will work very well with the 891 and will mount on a lip mount.   I have no problems with mine in over 2 years on the car.   Sig reports are always good.

The ATAS is a poor antenna, have you ever seen Yaesu's cut away model? The coil is weedy, the whip is short, it needs additional interfaces to work with non-Yaesu radios. Nothing about that antenna is good other than the convenience. Change the stock 32" whip on a LT2 for a 6ft one and you get a 6dB increase. You can't do that on the ATAS120 because it isn't mechanically strong enough.
KJ6VQR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »

I too bought an 891 and an ATAS 120. Simple to setup and super easy to use.
After 2 days out in the wild of the 405, the ATAS died in the full salute position. I took it back to HRO and they set me up with a Lil Tarheel 2, 56" whip, Breedlove mounting plate and a Tunematic lite. I have made a ton of contacts. It seems like a better antenna RF-wise than the ATAS (not to speak ill of the deceased, but..). And, it is still working after a whole month!

If I were you I'd look at the Tarheel & Scorpion stuff. Either way you should read www.k0bg.com site. I spent a whole day and a half grounding, grounding, grounding and choking lines in my truck.

As far as a tuning on the road, I bet if you set the antenna using the manual switch (like the tarheel comes with) and listen to your audio you will get close. Then just monitor the SWR on FM and key (mike) down on and off to fine tune. Just bump the antenna up or down (mike off) and then key down to see if the SWR improved or degraded.

Good luck and let us know how it workes out
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:04:17 AM by KJ6VQR » Logged
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »

I will probably go with the baby tarheel.  Looking for a place to ground the antenna.  I purchased a MFJ 2340T antenna a while back and I may try that before I spend the big bucks.  I have a road trip coming up in 3 weeks and will try it out then. 
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »

I will probably go with the baby tarheel.  Looking for a place to ground the antenna. 

At the mount where the coax braid ends. If you are willing to drill holes you won't do any better than a Breedlove mount.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 02:34:13 AM »

No Holes.  Vehicle only has 2900 miles on it. Hasn't had it's first oil change yet. 3-4 years from now maybe. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: