The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RG-213 to RG-8X  (Read 1890 times)
K4WEL

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:36 AM »

What impact will the connection of two types if coax be if I run RG-213 from my radio 68 feet to my vertical antenna and then RG-8X to a choke balun  to the antenna feed point?

N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:36:18 AM »

Not much effect unless you have a fault in one of the connectors used at the junction such as a poor solder joint or a piece of braid that is causing a short. You also want to be sure to weatherproof The Junction securely to head off future connection problems.

I frequently use a short pigtail of a smaller size coax on my antennas because it is easier to wind a small choke balun into the smaller coax. My pigtail is usually 8 - 10 ft long and then I connect a larger coax for the bulk of the run to the radio.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »

RG-8X will limit the power you can run on the higher bands but you don't need to worry about this if you just run 100 watts.  High power will melt RG-8X and allow the cable to short out.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »

Both are nominal 50 ohm cables, so joining them together won't affect the SWR (other
than due to the losses in each cable.)  Just put a connector on each end and use a barrel
to join them - the losses in connectors are very low at HF.

It isn't uncommon (particularly on Field Day) to have RG8X coming down from the antenna
to the ground, RG-213 from there to the shack, and then RG-58 coming in through the window.

If one of the cables is not 50 ohms, then it can throw off your SWR.  (Or even make it
better, in some cases!)  So make sure you know what you are doing before you splice in some
RG-59, RG-6, RG-11, RG-62, or other non-50 ohm cables.  But otherwise don't worry about it.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »

A little late posting this probably but a good quality RG8x at the lower frequencies like 7 MC and below will handle 1500 watts SSB no problem. The wire Man sells certified quality and has a technical data table for his coax power handling. I use 175 ft. of 213 out to the tower and change to RG8x up to the antenna. I have been running 1200 watts SSB with my AL 800H amp on about 60 ft. of RG8X for some time now with no problems.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: