The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S. 1534 Amateur Radio Parity Act pulled from Subcommittee markup  (Read 8148 times)
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »

GM OM,

This isn’t personal...just a bit of evidence from my non-ham professional life.

The objective (e.g., based not upon ad hoc observations but large systematic data and analysis) research shows n the relationship between HOAs and property values is mixed. There are various reasons. Some conflate HOAs and Neighborhood Associations. They are organized and generally operated differently. Here’s one example peer-reviewed article showing the positive effect of HOA effects n property values but no effect by NAs:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1078087414542088

Here's part of what my non-professional eyes read in the Study Frank provided a link to:

They may succeed in providing amenities and services and also in improving property values, but at the cost of high annual fees. HOAs may help to improve a sense of community and build social capital in the neighborhood, but may also promote a lack of civic engagement and an increase in racial segregation in a region. Nevertheless, their growth and popularity demands greater empirical and normative study of their effects.

Mr. Scheller sure uses the word "MAY" an awful lot in his B.S. Study... Just my non-professional observation...

Nothing personal Frank......

Later....
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »

BTW: There are a lot of B.S. Studies floating around online...

My favorite is the one that said Cigarettes do not cause health problems.....

Grin
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »

OM,

Your admitted non-professional reading is just that. What you label bullshit is widely accepted by peers who study hedonic pricing values in real property. You can make all the assertions you want but they remain your personal opinion, nothing more. I will not escalate this into a personal attack. That would be bullshit. Professional researchers use may often because they do not invoke cocksure conclusions based upon personal opinions. Systematic data on HOAs shows that your opinion is just not consistent with those data.

Have a nice day.

Frank

GM OM,

The objective (e.g., based not upon ad hoc observations but large systematic data and analysis) research shows n the relationship between HOAs and property values is mixed. There are various reasons. Some conflate HOAs and Neighborhood Associations. They are organized and generally operated differently. Here’s one example peer-reviewed article showing the positive effect of HOA effects n property values but no effect by NAs:

Here's part of what my non-professional eyes read in the Study Frank provided a link to:

They may succeed in providing amenities and services and also in improving property values, but at the cost of high annual fees. HOAs may help to improve a sense of community and build social capital in the neighborhood, but may also promote a lack of civic engagement and an increase in racial segregation in a region. Nevertheless, their growth and popularity demands greater empirical and normative study of their effects.

Mr. Scheller sure uses the word "MAY" an awful lot in his B.S. Study... Just my non-professional observation...

Later....
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »

OM,

Your admitted non-professional reading is just that. What you label bullshit is widely accepted by peers who study hedonic pricing values in real property. You can make all the assertions you want but they remain your personal opinion, nothing more. I will not escalate this into a personal attack. That would be bullshit. Professional researchers use may often because they do not invoke cocksure conclusions based upon personal opinions. Systematic data on HOAs shows that your opinion is just not consistent with those data.

Have a nice day.

Frank

GM OM,

Later....

I know B.S. when I smell it... I don't need to do a study to know when a person or an industry is selling a false sense of security...

Your believe HOA's add value to homes.. So if I buy into an HOA neighborhood, will I get a WRITTEN Guarantee from the Builder stating how much more I will make on my home compared to non-HOA homes that are the same square footage and condition???

KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »

OM,

Your admitted nonprofessional reading is just that. What you label bullshit is widely accepted by peers who study hedonic pricing values in real property. You can make all the assertions you want but they remain your personal opinion, nothing more. I will not escalate this into a personal attack. That would be bullshit. Professional researchers use may often because they do not invoke cocksure conclusions based upon personal opinions. Systematic data on HOAs shows that your opinion is just not consistent with those data.

Have a nice day.

Frank

GM OM,

Later....

I know B.S. when I smell it... I don't need to do a study to know when a person or an industry is selling a false sense of security...

Your believe HOA's add value to homes.. So if I buy into an HOA neighborhood, will I get a WRITTEN Guarantee from the Builder stating how much more I will make on my home compared to non-HOA homes that are the same square footage and condition???

Frank,

Did you get anything in Writing from your Builder or Real Estate agent that guarantees a minimum return on your investment??? I take it you gave up some of your Rights to live there, so what did you get in return???

Russ (Non-professional)   Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:10:51 PM by KN6SD » Logged
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »

OM,

Your admitted nonprofessional reading is just that. What you label bullshit is widely accepted by peers who study hedonic pricing values in real property. You can make all the assertions you want but they remain your personal opinion, nothing more. I will not escalate this into a personal attack. That would be bullshit. Professional researchers use may often because they do not invoke cocksure conclusions based upon personal opinions. Systematic data on HOAs shows that your opinion is just not consistent with those data.

Have a nice day.

Frank

GM OM,

Later....

Frank,

Did you get anything in Writing from your Builder or Real Estate agent that guarantees a minimum return on your investment??? I take it you gave up some of your Rights to live there, so what did you get in return???

Russ (Non-professional)   Grin

Has anyone that purchased a home in an HOA controlled community received any written guarantees regarding Return on Investment Percentages after X number of years?Huh

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »

Can residents vote to disband an HOA? Some of them are really useless. I knew a woman that got heavy damage to her condo in the Northridge quake: the HOA had not been paying for quake insurance! Another case involved two board members that were high level tennis players. They instituted a tennis tournament with a big payout which they always won...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:20 AM »

Has anyone that purchased a home in an HOA controlled community received any written guarantees regarding Return on Investment Percentages after X number of years?Huh

Wow, nobody got anything in writing... To all of the Pro-HOA folks, you might want to check out this Lady's website and radio program http://onthecommons.us/ ...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:14:53 AM by KN6SD » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »

Wow, nobody got anything in writing... To all of the Pro-HOA folks, you might want to check out this Lady's website and radio program http://onthecommons.us/ ...

Just another website opinion blog. As with any organizational entity, there will always be some "bad apple, renegade" HOA's, in the great minority. It all comes down for the potential homeowner to decide where and how they want to live, and perform their due diligence. If they feel an HOA is taking away their rights, then don't buy in one. Nobody should be criticized one way or the other.
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »

Just another website opinion blog. As with any organizational entity, there will always be some "bad apple, renegade" HOA's, in the great minority. It all comes down for the potential homeowner to decide where and how they want to live, and perform their due diligence. If they feel an HOA is taking away their rights, then don't buy in one. Nobody should be criticized one way or the other.

Most of us would be happy to go elsewhere. problem is that few if any new housing is being built without an HOA attachment. If we could purchase a home in a nice neighborhood without an HOA this thread probably wouldn't exist. I can understand that someone wouldn't want a neighbor to be raising roosters in their backyard. Their noise could awaken neighbors and there is also the problem of health risks spread to neighbors. Ham radio does none of these things. Since the move from VHF, NTSC analog TV to digital UHF/cable delivered ATSC TV most interference problem no longer exist. I run 100 watts on 80-6 meters and have no interference in my own home. If you live on a lot under 1/4 acre, a tower might not be in your future. However there is no reason why a roof mounted antenna for 20-6 meter & a vertical in your backyard for 160,80 40 & 30 could not be installed. That is a reasonable compromise. Telling a ham that they can only use rubber duck antennas to do HF is NOT reasonable. If the excuse is that the HOA doesn't like the look of your antenna my response would be, if you don't like the look of my reasonable antenna may I suggest that you find some place else to live. The world doesn't begin and end with you and you aren't paying for the upkeep of my property,  I'd be OK with the HOA concept if there were some communities which allowed such antenna arrangements and others which didn't. At least we'd have an option. As of now in most of this country, those options don't realistically exist
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »

I did not criticize Frank's decision to purchase in an HOA, I asked him a question, then I put it out there to anyone in an HOA...

As far as your assumption about most HOA's being good for the average homeowner, I respectfully disagree. There's plenty of online sources to back up my opinion about the HOA/CID problem. The only Professionals that promote the HOA situation in a positive light seem to always be connected to the Real Estate industry.

Russ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 05:08:05 PM »

I did not criticize Frank's decision to purchase in an HOA, I asked him a question, then I put it out there to anyone in an HOA...

As far as your assumption about most HOA's being good for the average homeowner, I respectfully disagree. There's plenty of online sources to back up my opinion about the HOA/CID problem. The only Professionals that promote the HOA situation in a positive light seem to always be connected to the Real Estate industry.

Russ

I'm not suggesting that you criticized Frank, just that many others in various forums have suggested that HOA dwellers are stupid for moving into one. I say that it's none of their business where and how one decides to live. Who really cares?

HOA's not being good for the "average" homeowner? Yes, we disagree. Not everyone is a ham, or a "you're taking away all my rights" proponent. As I stated before, in the 25 years I've lived in three HOA communities with literally thousands of homes. I have known many neighbors, attended HOA meetings, and heard all the scuttlebutt out there. Yes, there have been some scattered disputes, but bad for the "average" homeowner? Naaah. The very great majority love where they live, and don't mind the "rules" if they're just normal, law-abiding people.

Understand that I'd love to erect some form of an outside reasonable antenna, and support permissive legislation. But until that happens, I'll follow the rules I agreed to, and continue to operate with antennas that no one can see...not that difficult, and doesn't bother anyone. Sometimes there are other priorities in life than ham radio. Others may feel differently...whatever.

73, Bob K7JQ
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »

Sometimes there are other priorities in life than ham radio. Others may feel differently...whatever.

73, Bob K7JQ
Yep. But, I missed working you in AZQP.

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »

Sometimes there are other priorities in life than ham radio. Others may feel differently...whatever.

73, Bob K7JQ

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC

Not much genral hamming or contesting the past few months. Dealt with a prolonged illness and resulting recent death in the family. Coming back on this major contest season.

73,  Bob
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »

73, Bob K7JQ

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC

Not much genral hamming or contesting the past few months. Dealt with a prolonged illness and resulting recent death in the family. Coming back on this major contest season.

73,  Bob
I'm sorry to hear that, Bob. You have my condolences for your loss.
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: