The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need another two ham bands?  (Read 4282 times)
WB0CJB

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »

I guess I don't get it but why do we need two more ham bands when the propagation is getting worse? People already whine that they can't hear each other even though they live two states away running 1500 watts. Most of the time the bands don't have much activity unless you are totally into JT65/JT9/FT8 wham bam thank you ma'am type of contact.

Seems that the new bands will require one to experiment where the vast majority of today's hams jus buy ready made gear and antennas. They aren't interested in experimentation.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »

Because the experimenters will figure out more effective tools and the operators will determine best methods, same as for all our other bands.  Most early adopters will be both types. 

Bitching about band conditions is a proud ham radio tradition.  A lot of good ideas have come from it.

LITTLEWALKERTALKER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »

Seems that the new bands will require one to experiment where the vast majority of today's hams jus buy ready made gear and antennas. They aren't interested in experimentation.
So you're saying the FCC is basically creating a place for the experimenters to experiment outside of the regularly used communications frequencies (where those ready made, unexperimental, majority folks are)...  And this is a bad thing how?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »

Two new bands? I guess you're referring to the spectrum slivers often called 630 and 2200 meters. Those were active amateur real estate prior to 1912. Doubt many of us will transmit there but it should be a hoot to listen to "opening night" whenever that occurs.

I presume the U.S. prohibition against DXing on 630 will be dropped.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Here is a website of daily reports on the preceding night's 630m activity:

http://njdtechnologies.net/category/630-meter-daily-reports/

DX is not common but not rare either, esp given that we're talking 5 watts EIRP on low freqs.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »

I guess I don't get it but why do we need two more ham bands when the propagation is getting worse? People already whine that they can't hear each other even though they live two states away running 1500 watts. Most of the time the bands don't have much activity unless you are totally into JT65/JT9/FT8 wham bam thank you ma'am type of contact.

My opinion is yes at least I'm happy to be putting a station on 630 meters. Prop is entirely different on the MF freqs and has little to do with Sunspot numbers.
In the past I've had no problem working stations out to 500 miles on 10GHz and could easily work 2 states over on 24GHz.
These new authorizations seem to be attracting many of the VHF and up operators who love a challenge.
To each his own....
Bill, AA2UK
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

Is there something here other than generalizations against new hams and a "I don't do it, so it must not be real ham radio" thing?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »

Is there something here other than generalizations against new hams and a "I don't do it, so it must not be real ham radio" thing?

I think that sums it up well.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »

Thankfully there will be little to none of the low ability modern ham on 630 and 2200 that pollutes the HF and lower VHF/UHF bands.
Note that 160 is a MF band, and at the other extreme you dont find them on 903 and above either Roll Eyes Grin
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 08:04:23 PM »

Grumpy old men spout grumpy old stuff like a broken record, don't they??
  Not everyone is into just plug es play hamming OM!
  Some of us young whippersnappers are even getting pretty darn good at CW even though it's not required.
  So paint a gloomy picture somewhere else.
  No one has the time to listen to you gripe.
  We're all too busy having fun and doing something constructive.
  Get busy living or get busy dying....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:08:27 AM »

I'm not surprised about the OP's negative comment. In early 2014 I wrote an article asking why manufacturers like Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood routinely exclude the 220 mhz band in multi-band radios like the FT - 897/857 , Icom 706 and other popular multi-mode, multi-mode rigs...

I was rather shocked when hams actually defended the manufacturers saying that no one really uses that band. Really? 

So lets give the band to commercial interests then, after all 'no one uses the band'. While we are at it, why not give the 900 Mhz ham band to commercial interests. After all no is using that band either ....we don't need that many bands...right?

To date  no manufacturer, not a single one, not even the Chinese are making an multi-mode 220 Mhz rig. http://www.eham.net/articles/31298 No one is producing a 900 Mhz multi-mode rig either.

So the topic is about the 630/2200 meter bands, why discuss 220 Mhz?

Well, using that ill conceived logic for 220 Mhz....since no used the 630 and 2200 meter bands (before they became legal). Perhaps we should have given that to commercial interests? After all hams are not interested in 630/2200 meters ....because ...
"but why do we need two more ham bands"

Using the OP's logic...perhaps the WARC bands should have gone to the Maritime Mobile Service instead of radio amateurs because there were no amateur radio operators were using the bands before it became legal to use them. After all we already had 80/40/20 and 15 meters. And
"why do we need two more ham bands"

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 04:29:52 AM »

Seems 220 has Always Been the Red Headed Step Child.... 
I recall being an 11 yr old kid who regularly bought 73 and CQ magazines from a store owner who was a ham. Those issues were saying back in the mid / late 60's how 220 would go away if left in did-use as it was way back then.... so times change but the topic remains the same....
  220; Use it or lose it was the headline I recall, authored by Wayne Green w2nsd
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »

Well the reason we're not talking about the 222mhz band is we are in the LF/MF forum.
I for one have been in 222mHz SSB & CW since the 1990's.
73, AA2UK
Bill
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »

Well the reason we're not talking about the 222mhz band is we are in the LF/MF forum.
73, AA2UK
Bill

And I'm illustrating the point that no matter band, some hams feel that the band isn't important because it isn't important to 'them'. 

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »

73, AA2UK
Bill

And I'm illustrating the point that no matter band, some hams feel that the band isn't important because it isn't important to 'them'. 
I actually totally agree...
73, Bill
AA2UK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: