The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need another two ham bands?  (Read 736 times)
WB0CJB

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »

I guess I don't get it but why do we need two more ham bands when the propagation is getting worse? People already whine that they can't hear each other even though they live two states away running 1500 watts. Most of the time the bands don't have much activity unless you are totally into JT65/JT9/FT8 wham bam thank you ma'am type of contact.

Seems that the new bands will require one to experiment where the vast majority of today's hams jus buy ready made gear and antennas. They aren't interested in experimentation.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »

Because the experimenters will figure out more effective tools and the operators will determine best methods, same as for all our other bands.  Most early adopters will be both types. 

Bitching about band conditions is a proud ham radio tradition.  A lot of good ideas have come from it.

LITTLEWALKERTALKER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »

Seems that the new bands will require one to experiment where the vast majority of today's hams jus buy ready made gear and antennas. They aren't interested in experimentation.
So you're saying the FCC is basically creating a place for the experimenters to experiment outside of the regularly used communications frequencies (where those ready made, unexperimental, majority folks are)...  And this is a bad thing how?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »

Two new bands? I guess you're referring to the spectrum slivers often called 630 and 2200 meters. Those were active amateur real estate prior to 1912. Doubt many of us will transmit there but it should be a hoot to listen to "opening night" whenever that occurs.

I presume the U.S. prohibition against DXing on 630 will be dropped.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Here is a website of daily reports on the preceding night's 630m activity:

http://njdtechnologies.net/category/630-meter-daily-reports/

DX is not common but not rare either, esp given that we're talking 5 watts EIRP on low freqs.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »

I guess I don't get it but why do we need two more ham bands when the propagation is getting worse? People already whine that they can't hear each other even though they live two states away running 1500 watts. Most of the time the bands don't have much activity unless you are totally into JT65/JT9/FT8 wham bam thank you ma'am type of contact.

My opinion is yes at least I'm happy to be putting a station on 630 meters. Prop is entirely different on the MF freqs and has little to do with Sunspot numbers.
In the past I've had no problem working stations out to 500 miles on 10GHz and could easily work 2 states over on 24GHz.
These new authorizations seem to be attracting many of the VHF and up operators who love a challenge.
To each his own....
Bill, AA2UK
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

Is there something here other than generalizations against new hams and a "I don't do it, so it must not be real ham radio" thing?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:50:16 AM »

Is there something here other than generalizations against new hams and a "I don't do it, so it must not be real ham radio" thing?

I think that sums it up well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: