The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need another two ham bands?  (Read 3218 times)
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »

I've always found it somewhat arrogant for someone to ask, "Why do you need..." or "Why do you want..."

This goes for so many things but I don't want to get political.  That wouldn't make the webmaster happy. Wink

Mike N2MG
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »

So lets give the band to commercial interests then, after all 'no one uses the band'. While we are at it, why not give the 900 Mhz ham band to commercial interests. After all no is using that band either ....we don't need that many bands...right?

To date  no manufacturer, not a single one, not even the Chinese are making an multi-mode 220 Mhz rig. http://www.eham.net/articles/31298 No one is producing a 900 Mhz multi-mode rig either.

Since 222 is not authorized in Japan, China, and most of the world they have no incentive to ramp up a new product unless someone makes a good case to them. The ICOM IC 375A was an example that never took off and is now a collectors item at an obscene price.

Im still using an 80's Microwave Modules transverter that was built in the UK for 2M and modified in Canada. I finally found a 110W brick amp and eventually built an 8877 afterburner. In many ways it is a better band than 2M such as lower external noise and physically smaller antennas for the same gain. Propagation is similar to 2M altho E Skip, and MS is limited but the new FT8 should improve that.

Carl
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »

Anyway, Do any of you foresee an Ic, Ts or an Ft for this band on the market any time soon? Within 5 yrs?
   I think it's way too soon to speculate, but I wonder if anyone is doing their engineering homework at any of these
   radio plants?
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »

I wouldnt expect much for the weak signal user which seldom includes the non technical current crop of hams who gravitate to the FM version of CB which many came from.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »

It's good they have a nice place to stay and play... Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: