The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter radio with tuner  (Read 2750 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »

I forgot to state.

Circumference and length in feet.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

For now, I'm going to install a set of 6 and 2M loops as an omnidirectional solution for SSB work. You might consider same if you can't erect a beam antenna.

I've been considering that myself. Something like the PAR Omniangle or the M2 HO Loop.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »

To answer the OP's original question, no, you won't need a tuner with that rig.  You will need a good antenna.  Have that rig here connected to just a simple dipole and it works great ... during band openings.  If you want to work stations when the band isn't cooperating (most of the time), get whatever antenna up as high as possible. 
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »

My issue with an Omni-directional antenna is that it is always picking up noise from the power line. With a Yagi I can point it in any other direction and get a much lower noise level. With my Yagi pointed at the power line I often have an S5+ noise level but it will drop to <S1 in any other direction.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

How about a magnetic loop? It would be ultra-portable. One could hoist it quite high.

Kraus
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »

My issue with an Omni-directional antenna is that it is always picking up noise from the power line. With a Yagi I can point it in any other direction and get a much lower noise level. With my Yagi pointed at the power line I often have an S5+ noise level but it will drop to <S1 in any other direction.

Most of that is due to your Yagi's forward gain and F-S/F-B ratios.

I'll bet a horizontal loop - if mounted a decent distance away from lines - would exhibit an S2 noise level on average. Of course, this figure goes up with a vertical antenna given the polarization of the noise itself.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »

WIK is correct.

6 can be an absolute fun band to operate or a very frustrating experience. I would say the minimum station requirements for 6 SSB & CW station would be 80 to 100 watts and at least a 3 element beam (of course horizontally polarized) at 30 feet. That's not a big investment as 100 watt brick amps are cheap and can be easily found. 6 meter beams or quads are easy to construct and also inexpensive to buy. Can you get by and make some contacts with less, yea when the bands open to your area or if your neighbor is on 6 BUT I hope you have a lot of patience till next summer. With a decent antenna and some power you will do well as there is a lot of activity on 6 around you in upstate NY, CT, MA & eastern PA.

I used the MFJ 6 meter tuner with a homebrew 4 element quad for a year or so and I was surprised but it was very quick, easy & smooth to tune from 50.4 to 50.080. As I recall it's around $90 new and if you find that you need a tuner I would recommend it.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »

I had a lot of fun with the RCI-5054 all mode 6 meter rig.  The price wasn't all that much more than the MFJ when I bought it, and you can find them reasonably priced on the used market.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »

I had a lot of fun with the RCI-5054 all mode 6 meter rig.  The price wasn't all that much more than the MFJ when I bought it, and you can find them reasonably priced on the used market.
I'd keep my eyes open for a used TS-660 instead.

In addition to 6 you get 10, 12 and 15M and the thing has a FB receiver.

My first eBay purchase was a not-working example of one. After repairing it I added the AM and CW filters, a VOX-4 VOX/processor unit and a couple related peripherals. 10W out on the upper HF bands plus 6M is a hoot when the sunspots cooperate. 6 and 10M AM with the local gang is fun too.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:12:56 AM by N8YX » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: