The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting RCA boat anchor spotted in Yangon, Myanmar  (Read 1648 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »

I was in a post office in downtown Yangon (Rangoon) in the country of Myanmar (formerly called Burma), and spotted this old RCA unit on display.

http://www.teachersimon.org/rca-1.html

and

http://www.teachersimon.org/rca-2.html

Although the label is out of focus, I recall that the frequency range stated 2000 - 12000 Kc/s

On the front panel the receiver controls are in the middle and the transmitter controls at the bottom.  The antenna connection is in the center of the top panel of the unit.
KC1GCG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »

Very interesting. Tried some model number guesses from the fuzzy pic to try to find a matching pic some place but no luck. Can u try to get a better pic or write down and share what it says?. Could be fun to dig a little and get this puppy identified. Hopefully there's no espionage accusations affiliated with such an endeavor.
John. K1jrf
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »

Hi John, I'll see what I can do to get some more details.

Don't worry about the espionage concerns!  This boat anchor was being displayed on a table in the post office, alongside some old RTTY equipment and an ancient (and very large) NCR cash register.  The RCA rig seems to have been used to make HF telephone calls 'upcountry'.

I think the type number on the label is 'ETW-3DA1', and I couldn't find anything online about this number.

I will be down in Yangon next month, and I'll drop into the post office again and write down the label details, maybe ask someone in that office about the equipment.  (I can take some photos of the old RTTY equipment if you're interested).

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »

Looks like old ship to shore equipment.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: