The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrow Ant. & AO-85 sat.  (Read 4354 times)
K6KUB

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »

The diplexer in the Arrow ant. transmits on 2 M and receives on 70 cm. Can this diplexer work for AO-85? This sat receives on 70 cm and transmits on 2 M, opposite that of AO-50.

73, Fred
k6kub
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »

The diplexer in the Arrow ant. transmits on 2 M and receives on 70 cm. Can this diplexer work for AO-85? This sat receives on 70 cm and transmits on 2 M, opposite that of AO-50.

The Arrow Yagi and diplexer works fine on AO-85, just like it does on SO-50. Many use it on both satellites.

Good luck, and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »

I've worked AO-85 with my ARROW & ARROW-Diplexer. But due to AO-85 RX issue a normal 5W HT (even with the ARROW ERP) is still difficult to get into AO-85. I've inserted an AMP inline to boost the ERP to AO-85 making AO-85 much easier to work.

I wish Mirage would make a D-310-G amp to be a sister to my B-310-G.
Or Mirage make a 2m/70cm Amp WITH both band pre-amps & BNC's - the BD-35 is an almost.

I just wish some one would make/sell a (light in weight) 100W Diplexer w/BNC.

SO-50 OPs using a 4W HT and ARROW - solid, easy OPs.   

N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:18 AM »

Forgot to justify WHY I 'd like Mirage HT Amps/Diplexers to have BNC rather then SO-235.... Never seen an HT with a SO-235.

Since HT's are all going from BNC to SMA, it is far easier & cheaper to get a BNC-to-SMA adapter than PL-259-to-SMA !!!  SMA jumper cables are not easy to build - BNC are easy to make or eBay buy.

If the Mirage would go BNC - I would change out to TNC's for better RF and positive connections. But the SO-235 hole is just to big to even consider.

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »

Forgot to justify WHY I 'd like Mirage HT Amps/Diplexers to have BNC rather then SO-235.... Never seen an HT with a SO-235.

I think you should have written "... rather than an SO-239..." and "...with an SO-239." These reflect the correct connector designation (and the correct indefinite article Wink ).

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:36:12 AM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K0XU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »

In the past I have had The RF Connection (therfc.com) order for me from RF Industries panel bnc connectors with the same size and bolt pattern as an SO-239. I prefer the BNC for portable use and even low power jumpers in the shack. RF Industries lists them on their web site as # RFB-1115-14, so maybe they would order you some. In fact I think I need to order another dozen or so to upgrade some newer rigs and other gear.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

BNC is perfectly adequate for V/U sat ops jumpers as long as the cable is of decent quality. SO-239 or PL-259 to BNC adapters cost a whopping $3.50 with an insertion loss of mere fractions of a dB.

BNC is good for 500v peak, so not much of a chance of arcing at typical handheld or mobile radio power outputs.

My Mirage D-26 has factory N connectors. It makes sense for dual band HT amps to have SO-239 for convenience in connecting mobile antennas, and the transceiver equipment being connected to them is generally not so critical.

The lingering question for me is why spend a bunch of cash outfitting HT's with amplifiers when you could just buy a full duplex mobile rig, or even just a plain dual band mobile to do the uplink?

Mirage BD-35 dual band HT amp = $160      Compact 25w Chinese dual band mobile = way cheaper. Take your pick.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »

Couple of things that come to mind after trying my new Arrow antenna yesterday. I opted to forego the Arrow diplexer and use a Icom SY-25D diplexer from the junk bin.

1. UV-5R is not great for sats. I could hear some stations. Maybe for the uplink side. I got a reply on SO-50 but lost receive before I could complete the QSO.

2. VX-7R seemed to have better receive

3. FT-817ND was able to easily receive both FM and SSB sats. Alas, no duplex... Which leads me to...

4. Rather than drag the FT-847 outside, or buy a second FT-817ND, I'm going to try to use a Icom PCR-1000 as the receiver, and control it and the FT-817ND with HRD on a small tablet. Both radios will run fine on a 7Ah battery for this purpose.

5. Have yet to hear anything useful from AO-85 with any radio. Just what sounds like telemetry.

6. Need to find a better tripod than my camera tripod with the useless polarity capability. Thinking of lashing a 1" 4-way PVC fitting to the camera pad and sticking the end of the boom through there so it can spin freely. Not keen on the extending the boom with angle stock, using the radio as counterweight. etc. I like the radio to be either attached to the tripod or sitting in a backpack or on a tree stump or picnic table.

The main gist of this is that having used the PCR-1000 for quite some time for various and sundry things, it is quite capable of ham sat reception and is native to HRD Sat tracker. No chuffing as it tunes. A cheap Serial to USB dongle makes it work with any PC easily enough. Used PCR-1000's go for between $100-$275, depending on your luck, sniping skills and patience. Far cheaper than a typical all-mode receiver, or transceiver, and better receiver than a second HT. And, it's about the same size as the FT-817ND.

I suppose for one-off FM sat work a good HT setup is OK and countless hams do this regularly with great success. I'm more of a "set aside a Saturday morning or afternoon to sit there and work them as they come by" hobbyist. And I like to set up a lot of junk just because.

I did dig out my venerable old RatShack HTX-204 and dual band Maha HT docking amp.... May give it a try next.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »

K5TED, why not get an SDRPlay for the receive side of things?  You can see your own transmission on the linear birds that way...
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

3. FT-817ND was able to easily receive both FM and SSB sats. Alas, no duplex... Which leads me to...

4. Rather than drag the FT-847 outside, or buy a second FT-817ND, I'm going to try to use a Icom PCR-1000 as the receiver, and control it and the FT-817ND with HRD on a small tablet. Both radios will run fine on a 7Ah battery for this purpose.

5. Have yet to hear anything useful from AO-85 with any radio. Just what sounds like telemetry.

<snip>

The main gist of this is that having used the PCR-1000 for quite some time for various and sundry things, it is quite capable of ham sat reception and is native to HRD Sat tracker. No chuffing as it tunes. A cheap Serial to USB dongle makes it work with any PC easily enough. Used PCR-1000's go for between $100-$275, depending on your luck, sniping skills and patience. Far cheaper than a typical all-mode receiver, or transceiver, and better receiver than a second HT. And, it's about the same size as the FT-817ND.

Two 817s work well for an all-mode satellite station. Your PCR-1000, or a modern SDR like a FUNcube Dongle Pro+ or SDRplay (any of the models), should also work for the receiver along with an 817 on transmit. Modern SDR receivers can work with free software on even the cheap Windows tablets. HRO currently sells the SDRplay RSP1 new for $89.95.

HRD's satellite functionality leaves a lot to be desired. For Windows PCs, the best program for controlling your radio(s) for working satellites is SatPC32. Try it for free from http://www.dk1tb.de - then get the license key from AMSAT's online store.

If you are listening to AO-85's downlink on 145.980 MHz, you should normally hear FM voice activity. There is telemetry sent on the downlink with the FM voices, and passes usually have stations talking most of the time. What radio were you using?

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »

I tried AO-85 with both the VX-7R and the FT-817. Only heard faint telemetry on the bird, no FM voice. Wasn't a great pass, though.

It does make more sense, from a power consumption perspective, to use the RSP-1 for receive. Only thing is I'd then be using headphones or an external speaker plugged into the tablet to hear it. Not a big deal.

WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »

I tried AO-85 with both the VX-7R and the FT-817. Only heard faint telemetry on the bird, no FM voice. Wasn't a great pass, though.

Weird... unless 9600bps data is on (a rare thing), you won't hear much of the telemetry from AO-85. The normal telemetry is transmitted in the space normally used for CTCSS or DCS on the 145.980 MHz FM downlink, and you only hear some bits that may intrude in the low end of the audio passband.

I have lots of AO-85 recordings in my Dropbox space at http://dropbox.wd9ewk.net/ - look for folders with AO85 in the names. Some of those folders will have large WAV files, RF recordings from an SDR receiver.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: