The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARE YOU FROM MARS? PLEASE READ  (Read 7317 times)
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »

I know a little about the MARS program from back in the day but now days you can get a modern HF rig from gigaparts or others and have the MARS/CAP mod done before you get it for like 50 bucks.  They do it for you.  My question is why would you have this mod done?  Are you a MARS operator and if so please tell me how active this program is regarding ham radio.  Does it open the radio up to TX where it could not before and if so what freq or is it wide open?  Just 100 watt HF rigs I'm talking about though.  Do you need to PROVE you are a MARS operator to have this done prior to shipping.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.         
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:32:01 AM »

I know a little about the MARS program from back in the day but now days you can get a modern HF rig from gigaparts or others and have the MARS/CAP mod done before you get it for like 50 bucks.  They do it for you.  My question is why would you have this mod done?  Are you a MARS operator and if so please tell me how active this program is regarding ham radio.  Does it open the radio up to TX where it could not before and if so what freq or is it wide open?  Just 100 watt HF rigs I'm talking about though.  Do you need to PROVE you are a MARS operator to have this done prior to shipping.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.         

Legally, you should only have the mod done if you authorized to operate out of band.  Some vendors will only do the mod if you prove you are a MARS member.  The MARS programs will issue a letter or an authority to operate which you can show the vendor.  Realistically, many vendors do the mod without verification putting the liability for legal operations on the radio purchaser.  Vendors incorrectly label the mod as MARS/CAP, however, CAP does not allow part 97 modified radios to be used on their networks. 

Army and AF MARS have very active programs providing contingency HF communications support to the Department of Defense.  We train for the "worst day scenario" four times a year.  During these exercises, MARS members reach out to the amateur radio community to help in providing county status reports as well as weather observation reports for select national and international airports.  The next bad scenario exercise is coming up 4-6 Nov 2017. 

If you are interested in more information for MARS, you can go to www.usarmymars.org.

v/r

Paul     
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »

Legally, you should only have the mod done if you authorized to operate out of band.
This is not correct, it is not illegal to own or modify a transmitter for use outside of the Amateur bands.  It is however illegal to operate a transmitter outside of your legal FCC authorization.  There are few exceptions to this, but there are a few.  Most are based on health and safety issues.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »

Thank you for the info and I'm glad the MARS program is still up and running.  From my limited experience/exposure to the MARS program they always helped our service members in a professional and positive way.  Thanks again for the information.     
KK2DOG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »

Also, some radios need the MARS mod simply to get on 60 meters.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »

Don't forget NTIA compliance as well.

Thanks,
Dave
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »

MARS does not need NTIA compliance.  CAP does.
Art
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »

Art
When I was in MARS it did...  Did they relax that?

Thanks,
Dave
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:09:30 PM »

Art
When I was in MARS it did...  Did they relax that?

Art, in the NTIA Red Book, para 7.3.9 calls out the exemption for MARS and SHARES which allows us to use part 97 modified radios for HF.  However, we do not have the same exemption for VHF.

v/r

Paul
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »

Thanks Paul, I knew that was there but I couldn't put my finger on it soon enough.  BTW, looking forward to 17-4
Art
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »

Also, some radios need the MARS mod simply to get on 60 meters.

>>>THIS<<<

and it is starting to look like the 60 meter freqs will be changed AGAIN.

My (non modded) PRO III now can only be used on 3 of the original 5 60 meter channels. Embarrassed

Also, I am hearing a lot about a 15 KC VFO type section of 60 meters too
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: