The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, I'm done with house wire in the sky  (Read 3064 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »

I was using telco drop wire which you can use for towing cables. When I ran out of that I bought the #14 CCS from the wireman. Reasonable price and 550# breaking strength if a bit 'coily' to work with. I too use pulleys but sometimes I just take the rope over the crown of the tree and use 20lb rocks as weights near the ground. I've only had one thing break and that was the telco drop wire which was clamped to a piece of pvc with a hose clamp for the insulator, it just pulled out from under the clamp.
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »

I have used THHN 12awg for over 30 years on my wire antennas. I presently have a 90 foot dipole fed with open wire that has been up for over 5 years in some very bad weather here near Chicago. I have never had a break, including the open wire line. I do as others have suggested, pre- stretch the wire. I found my lawn tractor did not have enough pull, so I just use my car  and a large tree.
Lane--K9MOV
KZ4USA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »

Military Phone wire is tough and cheap on ebay
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »

The trick is to build a dipole without mechanical connections at the feed point.  Think of the flat top and open wire feed line as two continuous pieces of wire.  I used to make the center insulator out of 1/2 inch underground sprinkler pipe.  I drilled holes in the pipe measured so that I could weave the wire from the outside in and have the center two holes the width of the spacers to form the feed line out of the two lengths of continuous wire. So if you wanted a 130 foot dipole with a 30 foot feed line, you'd need two 95 (65+30) foot pieces of wire (plus what is required to weave the center and attach the end insulators) to complete the project.

I got the idea from http://trueladderline.com.  I bought one of their antennas 16 years ago and I've built quite a few of them since.

You wouldn't think 1/2 inch underground sprinkler pipe would make a strong center insulator, I didn't think so either and I was very surprised how well that technique using Wireman 531 held up.  In the end, a 70 foot weeping willow and a wicked wind storm took it down. My doublet was 230 feet long and had a 100 foot 600 ohm feed line.  No center support,  with a weight, rope, and pulley holding it up on one end.

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »

Military Phone wire is tough and cheap on ebay

Cheap maybe but I wouldnt call WD-1A strong. I use it for my 5 500-750' reversible Beverages and it doesnt like even medium tree limbs coming down....but the cost of about 6000' feet delivered was the clincher.

It does work OK as a BOG's
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: