The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM Italy Amplifiers  (Read 7063 times)
N4ATS

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »

Well , BLA (RM Italy)  is now on the US market, very interesting

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/rmy-bla600
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »

Yes direct competition to KPA 500 with 50 volt devices.
I see no reference to IM3, 5, 7 etc. although harmonic and spurious distortion at 500 watt , 1 db point is spec'd at -45 dB on 80 through 10.

Push pull air circulation, 3 antenna outputs, PIN switching with very intensive caveats and hookup / driving explanations.

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/rmy-bla600.pdf

Looks like a nice amp.

Rick, W3RSW
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »

I don't see $2,500.00.

Kraus
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »

Says sold out... I wonder how many were sold?  Engineering spec's made in a real lab would be nice to see.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »

Laboratory results of an amplifier are as useful as testing a battle ship in the harbor.

Neither is their intended use.

Give that amplifier to a goofy ham guy. Let him or her put it to 'the test'.

We'll see quality.

Kraus

W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 07:30:50 AM »

$2500 too much?  Possibly to less expensive amp offerings sold today, but as you've also posited, the quality, maintenance and value of this new amp have yet to be determined.

You realize of course that $2500 is $156 "old" or even less based on the current value of silver.
--(2500/16 to 20 ) based on the fact that not too many years ago and in many persons memory, you could take a piece of paper enscribed with " payable to the bearer on demand" and receive what was essentially an ounce of silver, called the U.S. Dollar?

And what did the lowly SB-200 cost back then in those silver backed or real silver dollars? Talk about increase in technology, features and value over time.  We should count our blessings.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:33:50 AM by W3RSW » Logged

Rick, W3RSW
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »

Ok I'll go with that.

Now would I have spent $300.00 for an amplifier in 1968. No I wouldn't

An amplifier is a luxury. But then everything about this hobby is luxury.

None of this hobby is necessity.

Kraus
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »

I dunno seems kinds pricey to me for the wattage.
The packaging looks good though.
73, Bill
AA2UK
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »

For $2500 give me a good used AL1500 with a spare tube or a QRO Tech 2500 with a spare set of tubes and either driven to 500 watts output the IMD products put to infinity will make your head spin.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »

The real question , other than knowing IMD numbers , does any one really care? does ANY one actually monitor their IMD during transmissions OR hear the "spurs" from other stations. I am SURE there will be a few dive in here and yes. Other than a few internet hammy police , I doubt the majority even knows what IMD is.

New products are a great thing , it shows ham is not dying. Give them a chance.

None of us is perfect or in a perfect world

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »

I'd take a W6PQL if SSPA is what you want.
Otherwise Lou is spot on.
Bill, AA2UK
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »

If that amp is as good as the KPA-500 then it is absolutely worth the $2500.  You get what you pay for so if you want cheap, stick with Martin.
Art

BTW, my KPA500 has been working almost every day since 9-24-14

VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

The real question , other than knowing IMD numbers , does any one really care? does ANY one actually monitor their IMD during transmissions OR hear the "spurs" from other stations. I am SURE there will be a few dive in here and yes. Other than a few internet hammy police , I doubt the majority even knows what IMD is.

New products are a great thing , it shows ham is not dying. Give them a chance.

None of us is perfect or in a perfect world

If indeed the majority are ignorant about IMD then it's an indictment of amateur radio and, as both a professional and amateur user of the radio spectrum, I'd question the worth of continuing such a technically ignorant AR "service".  Innovation is a great thing but the idea is that new products are better, not worse, than their predecessors.  Personally, I'm supporting a new product by buying a good solid state amplifier, with which I intend to go the Clear Signal and SDR route.  I require the finished system to be cleaner than, for example, my 50 year-old Collins 32S-3/30L-1 combination before I'm willing to declare any success at all.

Regarding the effect of IMD, it's certainly noticeable and troublesome, and you really don't want a neighbour with a dirty amplifier.  While the third-order products are the ones quoted in the reviews, it's actually the higher-order products that make a real mess of the band and beyond. In-channel products make your own signal sound bad and wide and it's a mystery why anyone would be happy with that.

Simple system health checks are not hard: even the old style station monitor (which I have permanently in line) picks up the over-driving that's heard too commonly. Beyond that, more sophisticated test equipment has never been cheaper (or more available) in real terms and it's ironic that fewer hams than ever do much periodic testing, never mind monitoring. I'd repeat the comment that if more hams bought Chinese spectrum analysers than Chinese radios, the bands would be in better shape. Beyond that, there are some great SDR options now available for an even lower cost and, used intelligently and judiciously, they are excellent for checking your own signals, and those around you.

The world is not perfect but if we're beyond the point of having pride in our signal quality we might as well give it away. We're responsible licensees, not just consumers.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:41:32 PM by VK6HP » Logged
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »

That's Pure Signal and SDR, btw. Too late to edit an erroneous reference from another product domain.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 02:36:21 AM »

I'd repeat the comment that if more hams bought Chinese spectrum analysers than Chinese radios, the bands would be in better shape.

That would be true if the spectrum analyser was driven by somebody who understood what they were looking at and what IMD is, and how it is caused, especially the high order IMD. Judging by many of the questions here from amateurs with the highest grade of licence, I doubt it would help. The move to "Vote for Joe" exams which can be passed by learning the answers and not the fundamental radio science behind them hasn't helped.

Even in skilled hands, a misused spectrum analyser can lie like a personnel manager!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: