The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting wi-fi to my shack  (Read 4228 times)
KW4GT

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »

My 'shack' is a small travel trailer located approximately 250 ft. from the house.  I have electricity out there, but that's it.... no internet.  I have a wi-fi extender and tried that with no success, it comes up short.  What can I do to get my wi-fi out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

thanks

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” ― Isaac Asimov
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »

Maybe run a CAT5 cable from the router in the house out to the trailer. You could connect that directly to the computer or to a switch if you need more than one computer connection, or to a WIFI access point to serve the trailer.

To use a WIFI extender you would probably need two, equally spaced between the house and the trailer but that would also require AC power.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »

My 'shack' is a small travel trailer located approximately 250 ft. from the house.  I have electricity out there, but that's it.... no internet.  I have a wi-fi extender and tried that with no success, it comes up short.  What can I do to get my wi-fi out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

thanks

If your router/extender has a detachable antenna, buy a cheap Wi-Fi Yagi on ebay, one for each end of the 'circuit'.
KW4GT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »

If your router/extender has a detachable antenna, buy a cheap Wi-Fi Yagi on ebay, one for each end of the 'circuit'.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking about. (ethernet cable won't be acceptable, it'll be driven over if I were to lay it on the ground not to mention having to run under power lines). 

Stupid question...... say I hook up a yagi to my wireless router........what attaches to the antenna on the far end? 

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” ― Isaac Asimov
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »

Use a wireless bridge (router) in the shack and tie it into your network.

Lynksys, Cisco, Netgear and others make them and have ways to do this.

this looked interesting:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

good luck and 73's
Jeff KG5AHC

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »

That's along the lines of what I was thinking about. (ethernet cable won't be acceptable, it'll be driven over if I were to lay it on the ground not to mention having to run under power lines). 

Stupid question...... say I hook up a yagi to my wireless router........what attaches to the antenna on the far end? 

Another Yagi. That's if the card/wi-fi adapter also has a detachable antenna, if not, another adapter will be required.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »

Consider a mesh network... http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

You can set up each end, and add wireless repeaters along the way (waterproof box with small battery and solar panel).
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »

IMHO, a 2.4 Ghz yagi from the house pointed at a 2.4 ghz yagi attached to the bridge (router) in your shack ought to be enough gain to make the 250 foot distance in one hop, if line of site is not an issue.

73's
NQ4T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »

I don't know what your trailer is made of or what you have in the path between it and the house; but you may be able to get away with a single yagi mounted to the outside of the travel trailer. If you have a lot of trees you're gonna need that second yagi. Pick up a couple of dd-wrt capable devices and make one an access point and the other a wifi-client...mount some yagi's outside each respective enclosure, aim them.  But I would start with trying just one outside the shack and seeing if that nets you what you're looking for.
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »

One thing to note is any of the extenders that extend the signal over the AC lines needs to be on the same 120 leg as the transmitter. If its not an extender with transmitter/receiver this does not apply.
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »

Speaking from the perspective of a professional network engineer and a WISP engineer (wireless ISP)
I can  tell you that any sort of range extender, larger antenna, etc
is NOT going to work that well, compared to a pair of radios dedicated to the purpose.

Ubiquity Loco radios are what I'd use -- I have installed MANY pairs of these and they perform absolutely unbelieveably well.

This is an Amazon link -- if you prefer brand new with warranty, etc - but you'll pay more for the privilege.
You'd need two of these
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco/dp/B004EHSV4W/ref=sr_1_1

Or, on Ebay, far far cheaper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Ubiquiti-NanoStation-Loco-M5-A-N-Mixed-150Mbps-/292296085296
That's for TWO of the units, so it's all you'd need.

I have used these Unbiquity Loco radios for providing VoIP data circuits for up to 5 miles, with throughputs exceeding 60Mb/s (that's probably faster than your residential Internet anyway)

Just put one on your house, connected into your router, and one out in the shack.
Depending upon construction, you may need to mount outdoors, but if your house and shack have windows facing each other, that would work just leaning up against the glass.

I'd configure one for Access Point WDS mode, enable AirMax, and set it to Bridge mode,
and the shack end to Station WDS in bridge mode.
Disable any sort of DHCP, and set the IP addresses on each one to be available IPs on your home network.
Configure a secure WPA2-AES protected PSK on each end, and change the default admin password

Instant, protected, secure very very high speed network to your shack.
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »

I might add that -
I have used Ubiquity gear for this purpose:

At an event we provide aux comms for, we provide a Sierra Wireless 4G router with a 9-element yagi pointed at a cell tower 23 miles away.
We then connect to an Asterisk server with a SIP trunk built to a provider over the 4G connection.
That then is connected to an Asterisk server with cordless SIP phones scattered all over the  5 mile area of the event, to provide
"telephone" access to event promoters, in an area where cell phones do not work.
We also provide 50Mb/s of Internet access -- the promoters can then use their iPads and laptops to observe the progress
of their SAG vehicle realtime with a TinyTrac onboard reporting to aprs.fi

We have 911 telephone access for first responders over that VoIP network.

All of the on-field wireless is provided by Ubiquity Loco radios aimed downhill from the radio comms command site where the 4G Sierra router and yagi are aimed at the cell tower from.

Promoters used to have to stand in just the right spot on the field to get a 1x signal.
Now, they have 5 bars of WiFi, and it has totally transformed the event..

Our total cost for the Ubiquity equipment was less than $200
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »

Speaking from the perspective of a professional network engineer and a WISP engineer (wireless ISP)
I can  tell you that any sort of range extender, larger antenna, etc
is NOT going to work that well, compared to a pair of radios dedicated to the purpose.

Ubiquity Loco radios are what I'd use -- I have installed MANY pairs of these and they perform absolutely unbelieveably well.

It looks like an excellent setup. Thank you for mentioning it. The brand new price is not absurd, considering the problem it solves.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »

At an event we provide aux comms for, we provide a Sierra Wireless 4G router with a 9-element yagi pointed at a cell tower 23 miles away.
We then connect to an Asterisk server with a SIP trunk built to a provider over the 4G connection.
That then is connected to an Asterisk server with cordless SIP phones scattered all over the  5 mile area of the event, to provide "telephone" access to event promoters, in an area where cell phones do not work.
We also provide 50Mb/s of Internet access -- the promoters can then use their iPads and laptops to observe the progress  of their SAG vehicle realtime with a TinyTrac onboard reporting to aprs.fi

We have 911 telephone access for first responders over that VoIP network.

That's impressive indeed.
AC1P

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »

You can also search eBay for the tp link pharos.  I use the for point to point.  Either 2.4 or 5 ghz models.  The work fine out doors.  I currently have solar array using one set to send data to the house Internet allowing me to login and see the status.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: