The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering literally screamed at me  (Read 6100 times)
K3EY

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »

I’m not going to go into all the sordid details, just a summary. I had a problem with the Kenwood radio I purchased from DX Engineering. They sent me a return label and had it in their possession. I was talking to George a tech trying to explain the details of why it was sent back and how I didn’t want to wait real long being that I just bought it days ago. Don’t know if he was having horrible day or just crazy but he starts screaming at me and hung up. I did absolutely nothing to provoke that sort of response!

I emailed Tim Duffy, he responded pretty quick. Was told I would get a call the following day, it was Sunday. Never received a call but did get a email telling me they refunded all my money.  I think Mr. Duffy having my personal phone number could’ve called me, he didn’t. I never received a call the following day either like I was told I would, just an impersonal email. Nobody’s going to scream at me when I’m handing them my money or for any reason.

Things happen and people get things mixed up at times, regardless there is absolutely no excuse
for getting screamed at. I have never had a problem with HRO and from now on that’s only place I’ll deal with. 

In Mr. Duffy’s defense, he did apologize profusely, via email. For that I am grateful but I think more should’ve been done after being screamed at like a dog. A phone call would have gone a long way.

I guess DX Engineering accepts their employees screaming at customers and only responding with emails to the customers after such incidents. I think it’s pathetic and why wrote this because it’s the God’s truth.

Curt Krelic

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »

I have a STRONG feeling that there just may be two sides to this issue.

perhaps the statement "... I didn’t want to wait real long being that I just bought it days ago..." provides some insight.

Flame suit on
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »

perhaps the statement "... I didn’t want to wait real long being that I just bought it days ago..." provides some insight.

Flame suit on
As always, Occam's Razor shaves exceedingly close...
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

Flame suit on

You don’t need a flame suit on, you’re entitled to your opinion.

I’m just telling the way it was. I don’t I have to explain myself to anybody,
I’m simply telling the truth with my name signed.

When a place of business screams at you, beware.

Have since ordered replacement from HRO Woodbridge.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:44:55 AM by K3EY » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »

That's why there are multiple vendors.
Art
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »

That's why there are multiple vendors.
Art

Absolutely

All I did was talk to the man. I was told by customer service previous it was being taken care of and an exchange would be
taking place upon receiving it back and I would get a call or email telling me it was being shipped. Never got that call and when
I called was told it was waiting to be checked by a tech. That was NOT what I was told would happen by customer service when I explained
that it had an intermittent problem. I know being a retired avionics tech an intermittent problem might never been found and often times
take a long time. The radio was brand new, I shouldn't have to wait to get my statements verified. It was a factory problem, all
DX Engineering had to do was send it back to Kenwood and send a replacement like I was told they were going to do.

When I tried explaining the above to the Tech, George, he lost it and I have no idea why. I even tried to calm him down saying I was not being
belligerent but just presenting facts told me by their own customer service! He should have never been involved, that, or they have terrible
in house communication. I know it took several calls and long waits to even reach him so I am sure he was busy. That does not give him one
excuse in the world to go nuts on a good paying customer, even Mr Duffy agreed on that.

That fact it happened and I didn't even get a call explaining why in God's name their Tech was screaming at me, I just could not accept.

Yes I did receive a full refund and an apology from the president of the company, nothing more, no reason given for that strange behavior
or a simple phone call explaining what was a matter with their guy.

If I had Mr Duffy's position, I would have sent him for a mental evaluation and if he refused I would get rid of him.

I wasn't going to go into detail but I did because I have absolutely nothing to hid. I don't have anything against DX Engineering and in fact they gave
me one hell of a deal of the Kenwood!

I know there are people out there thinking I did something wrong. The only wrong thing I did was talk to George their hair trigger Tech who needs some counseling and should never deal with the public.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:27:17 PM by K3EY » Logged
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:14 AM »

Hello "EY". You're living in the past. That's not a slur. I live there too. I have pretty much looked at DXE as the new kid on the block...lots of (non ham) money behind them. They are not the altruistic, group they seem to try to portray. They are just another business competing for your dollars. I have avoided buying from them and stick with tried and true folks I know from HRO. Yes, HRO is just another business too but it does have a very good reputation. I'm sure George may just have been having a bad day, and also that he isn't exactly a front line customer service guy who knows not to "lose it". The event is unfortunate and inexcusable in my mind (old school) and just reaffirms my gut feeling about DXE. They seem to gravitate to the "new" ham. I'm glad you got a refund (or were they saying nuts to you...we don't need this customer). Long live HRO...where I'll be doing the same thing you did, on Black Friday. That's my opinion...and I'm sticking with it.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:49 AM »

Hello "EY". You're living in the past. That's not a slur. I live there too. I have pretty much looked at DXE as the new kid on the block...lots of (non ham) money behind them. They are not the altruistic, group they seem to try to portray. They are just another business competing for your dollars. I have avoided buying from them and stick with tried and true folks I know from HRO. Yes, HRO is just another business too but it does have a very good reputation. I'm sure George may just have been having a bad day, and also that he isn't exactly a front line customer service guy who knows not to "lose it". The event is unfortunate and inexcusable in my mind (old school) and just reaffirms my gut feeling about DXE. They seem to gravitate to the "new" ham. I'm glad you got a refund (or were they saying nuts to you...we don't need this customer). Long live HRO...where I'll be doing the same thing you did, on Black Friday. That's my opinion...and I'm sticking with it.

I live close to DX Engineering so ordered from them to get the radio the next day. Item was bad, s**t hit the fan, never again.

I ended up going back HRO Woodbridge dealing with Joe or Steve the national sales manager who have both treated me very well over the
years. I have spent thousands there. Yes I should have just went to them this last time and waited an extra day, lesson learned.

I wrote this so people will know the new kid on the block is not perfect by any measure. Reading their reviews you would think they were perfect.
But, got a problem, watch out!! I didn't buy a contest station from them so I didn't get a call when the problem occurred just a refund and bye, IMO.

You're right what you say here, I am proof.
K4MZR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »

It certainly sounds like you had an unacceptable experience but it does sound like DX tried to remedy the situation: you got an apology and a refund. Realistically, I'm not sure you can expect much more; the employee has privacy rights and the employer would be unwise to discuss either disciplinary action or any “reasons” behind the outburst.

Fortunately, my experience with DX Engineering has been quite different: I purchased an FT-450D from them and discovered it had a serial port problem shortly thereafter. They immediately shipped a replacement unit before even receiving my return. Same story with a battery backup module I purchased: it arrived DOA and they shipped out a replacement ASAP. That doesn't excuse what happened to you but it does seem to indicate something unusual occured.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

It certainly sounds like you had an unacceptable experience but it does sound like DX tried to remedy the situation: you got an apology and a refund. Realistically, I'm not sure you can expect much more; the employee has privacy rights and the employer would be unwise to discuss either disciplinary action or any “reasons” behind the outburst.

Fortunately, my experience with DX Engineering has been quite different: I purchased an FT-450D from them and discovered it had a serial port problem shortly thereafter. They immediately shipped a replacement unit before even receiving my return. Same story with a battery backup module I purchased: it arrived DOA and they shipped out a replacement ASAP. That doesn't excuse what happened to you but it does seem to indicate something unusual occured.

When everything goes well all companies are good, it's not until things go wrong that you find out what they are really like.  Getting and apology and refund is definitely good but if they had simply done what they said they were going to do in the first place no apology would have been necessary. 

I had a bad experience with HRO about 15 years ago, one that was very similar to K3EY's issue.  The difference is, I made one phone call to Bob  Ferrero and the issue was resolved within 30 minutes and a new radio was on it's way.  That's why I like HRO.  I realize that Mr. Ferrero is no longer with us but the company still has a culture of customer support that has been their way since day one.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

You’re right, I did get a refund and that I’m grateful for along with an apology from the president himself. You’re also correct in that the employee has rights too.

It was so ridiculous to me I thought the very minimum I should’ve received a personal phone call, I was told I would but I never did.  I know some will say stop your whining you got your money big baby. Remember that when you get screamed at after handing over your hard earned money.

W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »

Flame suit on
I'm not going to flame, but I will say that it really doesn't matter what the other side of the story is. There is no excuse -- EVER! -- for an employee to scream at a customer. Even hanging up on the customer would be better than screaming at them. Better yet would be to say something like "I'm going to let you talk to my boss," put them on hold, and let someone else (someone who can control their temper) talk to them.

And, yeah, if they said they would call then they should have called. If you tell a customer that you are going to do something then DO IT!
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »

Flame suit on
I'm not going to flame, but I will say that it really doesn't matter what the other side of the story is. There is no excuse -- EVER! -- for an employee to scream at a customer. Even hanging up on the customer would be better than screaming at them. Better yet would be to say something like "I'm going to let you talk to my boss," put them on hold, and let someone else (someone who can control their temper) talk to them.

And, yeah, if they said they would call then they should have called. If you tell a customer that you are going to do something then DO IT!

1000 percent right couldn't have said it better.

I wasn't even being mean or belligerent to the man on any level. I even tried calming him down with rational
calming reasoning to no avail. He was out of control, period. That fact alone prompted me to speak up.

Hell, if a fast food place screws up they give you a free meal and heart felt apology, this place, where one
spends a lot more money was indifferent. I say that because a phone is a lot more personal, and a phone call
is what was used to belittle me.

I know I will never deal with them on any level again, I just won't.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 02:59:04 AM »

Flame suit on

That seems to be a very reasonable comment. I mean you buy a brand new radio and it is DOA. I think it is reasonable to expect that the company would repair or have it repaired right away and return it to you. If that harmless comment set the tech off, too bad for the tech. Guess the guy just had a bad day.

In any case, DX Engineering did the right thing. They apologized and refunded the money. I don't think they needed to make a bunch of calls to the customer.

I would still deal with DX Engineering. Nothing noted causes me any concern.
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 05:46:01 AM »

"Hell, if a fast food place screws up they give you a free meal and heart felt apology, "
EY: Please let me know what fast food place you go to! Guess I've been going to the wrong ones. (LOL) Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: